Can't stop starting new games.

captainhalfajob

I suffer from what i now call "Elder scrolls Anal syndrome" In short it is where one is never happy with the way one has played out the game, and start again.

My example:

I'm constantly dissatisfied with the way i have played the game and start a new game/character, whether it be because I'm dissatisfied with the look or type of character Ive created or the order Ive done the quests in. I have suffered from this "perfectionist condition" since oblivion was released, i may sometimes think when DLC is released that maybe i would be better off starting a new game ? since skyrim was released i have many times got my character to level 40-50 and thought, somethings not right here, I've raced through the game and not listened to what the NPC'S have been saying and don't know what the quests are about so i need to start again, the quests are all wrong !

Am I alone on this ? anyone else suffer from this ?.

Edited by del_boy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The syndrome doesn't require you to be unhappy with the way you've played a character. In my own case I just like to try doing things in different sequences, which may get me a few different quests from another sequence. And I like to try different armors and weapons, so I need characters with light armor and characters with heavy armor, sword-and-board guy, greatsword guy, dual-wield axe guy, hammer guy, destruction-magic guy ...

I'm happy with all of them, but it's still an obsession to find and try all the different combinations.

I suffer from what i now call "Elder scrolls Anal syndrome" In short it is where one is never happy with the way one has played out the game, and start again.

My example:

I'm constantly dissatisfied with the way i have played the game and start a new game/character, whether it be because I'm dissatisfied with the look or type of character Ive created or the order Ive done the quests in. I have suffered from this "perfectionist condition" since oblivion was released, i may sometimes think when DLC is released that maybe i would be better off starting a new game ? since skyrim was released i have many times got my character to level 40-50 and thought, somethings not right here, I've raced through the game and not listened to what the NPC'S have been saying and don't know what the quests are about so i need to start again, the quests are all wrong !

Here's a piece of advice; take it as you will: Slow down. Slowdown and listen to what NPC's have to say, revel in the sights to be seen, travel from place to place without the use of fast travel and simply rely on either your own horse, carriages, or going by foot. Engage in the world and maybe jump into a random dungeon you've never been in. Let your character develop with the game as it progresses and take quests one at a time. It's easy to swiftly run threw everything until the next thing you notice is that you've got crap-tons of quests, you loose track of what's what, and so on so forth. Make a new character, regardless of what type he/she is, and see where you can take that character. If the intention is to be Dragonborn, then follow the MQ, try Dawnguard, build yourself a house, and then prepare to sail off to Solstheim. There is so much to do with one character that it's easy to loose your way if you move to fast. Slow down.

The only times I've ever had to start new characters is when I break the game with too many mods, or something like that. I can't stand having to start over, and after so many play-threw's it starts feeling like a chore just playing the game. So take it easy on yourself, there's no rush.

-Elsarian

Yes I also get sick of a character who becomes a repetitive mass-murderer, so I start a new character who is only going to follow the way of alchemy, but by about level 15 this character also becomes a repetitive mass murderer...... :smile:

Play the game as you wish, it is all too easy to get inundated with new quests and feel the burden of having to do them all and looking for the right way through the game, the right way is the way you want to play and being unsatisfied with the char you've made may just be an excuse to break free from the gore fest and start fresh dudes/dudesses because that may be the enjoyable bit for you, I play hardcore with the help of Arthmoor's 'Live another life' and if my dude gets killed...it's all over for him...I start another and try to live this time, it means running instead of fighting a lot of the time early on as I have no health regen and my guy don't do magic including Alchemy!.

So play as you wish and enjoy it as much as you can...it's gonna be five years till another one comes out!

My example:

Here's a piece of advice; take it as you will: Slow down. Slowdown and listen to what NPC's have to say, revel in the sights to be seen, travel from place to place without the use of fast travel and simply rely on either your own horse, carriages, or going by foot. Engage in the world and maybe jump into a random dungeon you've never been in. Let your character develop with the game as it progresses and take quests one at a time. It's easy to swiftly run threw everything until the next thing you notice is that you've got crap-tons of quests, you loose track of what's what, and so on so forth. Make a new character, regardless of what type he/she is, and see where you can take that character. If the intention is to be Dragonborn, then follow the MQ, try Dawnguard, build yourself a house, and then prepare to sail off to Solstheim. There is so much to do with one character that it's easy to loose your way if you move to fast. Slow down.

The only times I've ever had to start new characters is when I break the game with too many mods, or something like that. I can't stand having to start over, and after so many play-threw's it starts feeling like a chore just playing the game. So take it easy on yourself, there's no rush.

-Elsarian

Sounds like the best course of action, i have just started a new game today and i will take it slow and listen to dialog and follow each quest one at a time.

Edited by del_boy

I like to not play Skyrim the way it was meant to be ... I like to set it up to where I have most everything I need (no god like toon) then work the story line until the dragons are the most active. At that point my toon becomes a Dragon Slayer. With only one style of play a nomad that's only goal is to hunting down dragons. I try not to talk to anyone as they always have some quest for you. And the lower level of toon you are the better. I save when I first see them with the console, save Dragon 01 ... kind of like that, so in the end I have many, many saves just before the battles. I kind of collect them in a way. I've also noticed if you don't kill them they seem remember you. Once you have drove them crazy. (takes a long time and it can't be in one shot) If they see you again they will do everything in their power to kill you. Follow you to the ends of the "earth" or even team up.

I've had some truly epic moments ...

Edited by Jason2112

No, sadly, you're not alone.

I'll admit I played Oblivion for a year and a half and never finished the MQ. I did complete FO3, but only by rushing through. We're going on 14 months in Skyrim, and I haven't even started DG... And I've never had a character higher than level 25 in ANY of the afore-mentioned games. All for the very reason you describe.

:facepalm: