Proposal for new Nexus option: Mod evolution explained by the author

Obelix1111

What does that 'Mod evolution explained by the Author' mean?

Its just a first idea of a name, maybe there will be a more handsome name for it.

It should be a space where the Author can write all about the development of his mod, from the start of the idea, what knowledge he had before, what he did to realize the mod, especially the fails and dead ends, and finally how he got the mod done. This can be in short words, or very detailed, just as the author wants to do it. Of course, detailed promises to be more interesting :smile:

It is based on following thoughts:

1) When a mod is published, no one but the mod author can really appreciate how much work and time was put in the mod, especially the testing and the fails and dead ends. This gives the users of the mod the opportunity to appreciate the real work that was put into the mod.

2) If a modder describes how he approached his mod, other modders can learn and produce better mods with this knowledge, and maybe non modding users will get interested to make mods themselves.

3) Of course no modder should be forced to do this, if he want to keep his ideas or tricks secret its ok, everyone as he wants.

4) Where should this "mod evolution" appear? There are different possibilities, maybe in a spoiler at the end of mod description, or in an extra tab, or whatever.

With this post I want to ask modders and non modders (=mod users) if this is an interesting option, and if it makes sense to think further about this.

I am looking forward to your comments :smile:

Your proposal for a mod developmental history is one that I heartily endorse. In fact, there is nothing (to my knowledge) preventing mod authors from doing that right now. However, if there were official sanction and encouragement for this proposal, then we might see a goodly number of interesting and helpful mod developmental histories.

I would think that mod creators would find technical developmental histories particularly useful. However, it is my guess that most mod users could care less about how a mod came to be. Their only interest would be - does the mod work?

As for myself, I am not particularly interested in the technical development of mods. Rather, I am most interested in the developmental history of rich story mods such as The Forgotten City for Skyrim. That is truly one of the greatest mods ever created. I would especially be interested in the development of the mod's story line. Where did the author get the idea for the story? How did the story change and develop from its inception to its completion? How did technical game limitations and/or enhancements affect the development of the story, if at all, etc.?

The idea is good, but few will read it, OP.

Generation Reddit is not interested in knowing how much work and effort you put in a mod. Specially when its a big mod with lots of assets, such as a landscape, for example.

They just want it handed in a plate, and with everything working perfectly.

Generation Reddit is not interested in knowing how much work and effort you put in a mod. Specially when its a big mod with lots of assets, such as a landscape, for example.

I never understood this "generation reddit" crap. Does it include the droves of old people and middle aged Karens who can't see the giant sign 3 feet in front of them and go harassing the employees about the exact information posted on said sign?

I never understood this "generation reddit" crap. Does it include the droves of old people and middle aged Karens who can't see the giant sign 3 feet in front of them and go harassing the employees about the exact information posted on said sign?

It's just the age old cycle repeating: Older generations calling younger generations lazy. We have records of this happening back in ~500 BC.