How To Merge Multiple Mods with Multiple Master Files

MTichenor

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharlikran did a YouTube back in Jan 2013 with TESVSnip. Later we had the new version of TES5edit which is used in these screen shots. I have been playing around with the idea of merging many of my armor mods. The ones I have selected contain no scripts that I am aware of... They do sometimes have quests, perks, npcs, and the occasional level list.

Early attempts have failed due to the duplicate ID issues even when creating a new Patch file. I am having difficulty determining to what extent TES5edit can create new Form ID's? Does is update a quest that ref. a specific Form ID? It would be good to have some warnings about what is realistically merge-able? Where are we biting off more then we can chew?

FormIDs can be changed, when you do then references will be updated. I don't use all the functions but there is an option from the context menu, and then there are pre generated Script files that should help. Try those for mass changing FormIDs.

this method has really been a big help! i felt so confident after this that i made my 1st Bashed patch. I had also read that an overall "create merged patch" from TES5EDIT would supplement a bashed patch, so i made it 1st before bashed. the bashed patch works fine, but the all encompassing EDIT patch does not!

i loaded up all mods, right clicked, and did "create merged patch". had immediate crashes starting the game. tried again, and noticed EDIT throwing up errors about a few old mods. facelift type mods that i'm guessing were made w/ TESSnip or npc editor. started over but this time unchecked all those that showed errors. no errors showed so made the patch. crashed a lot less but still more than before.

\what could i be doing wrong with this overall patch? things i think may be messing it up...

1. there were 3 mods that were merged during Bashed and so were disabled (they're still in the load tho), but when i had made the Edit patch, they were still enabled. should i remake the Edit patch but not included those 3?

2. two mods (armors) that i had manually merged using the very methods described in this thread, were also enabled and included in the "create merged" EDIT patch. should those be excluded?

3. should i just forget about the EDIT overall patch lol?

as always, advice greatly appreciated!

How many Mods were you trying to merge? :geek: I tried the method of "Go Big or Go home..." TESVedit sent me packing for my ignorance. So i am starting small with uncomplicated mods. Armor & Weapon Mods and I mean start small.

1st pass was to open Mods version 0.94 and load up individually and save in 1.70 format. I found various errors in my mods and I cleaned up some dirty edits. Now I have a good base to work from and I will get back with my success or failure. I think I will start small with TESsnip and then try TESVedit to see how that works. My bane was DuplicateID even with a new Mod.

Just an FYI, on Bashed Patches. I run them LAST (unless using a skyproc patch) and rebuild them often. Bashed is good for merging your leveled lists and other issues. Still pretty basic is Skyrim vs other games but very useful. Even when I was making a Merged Patch I took out the leveled lists and placed my rebuilt Bashed Patch after.

Modding your games is not for the faint of heart. I spend a lot more time modding then I do playing. How sad is that :huh: But it's fun!

Thank you so much for this howto. I searched all over to find exactly this information, and most of what I found confused me even more.

But of course, there are always exceptions to every rule (in this case renumbering form IDs), and, lucky me, I ran into one on my first try. The mod UndergroundBathhouse comes with an optional download to separate the bathhouse into (up to 9) unique cells. It produces 8 .esp files to override the main esm, and you can activate as many of them as you wish.

I tried to merge all 8 of these (since I use all 8 of them) into a new plugin, using the exact instructions in OP and of course I got a CTD. In this case, the form IDs are meant to remain the same. But when I went back, and did the deep-copying without any renumbering, it worked as expected.

Anyway, thanks again for the explanation. It was so clear that even when I failed the first time, it wasn't too hard to figure out why and try a different approach.

Edited by infernalmachine007

Fortunately I discovered this thread. :smile:

MTichenor, your tutorial is awesome explained, it was a success at my first attempt. Tested it with Personalised Music, merged 9 esp files into 1, worked with zero problems. I wanted a way to merge plugins so badly since I started modding in Skyrim. Playing with the CK is much easier now.

Thanks a lot and high five, dude ;D

http://www.owned.lv/images/x3x9b19f055b0e554ab51750a481c55ef2f.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=454&vpy=387&dur=3845&hovh=191&hovw=264&tx=196&ty=96&ei=bDBQUfK8BovltQalpIHwCQ&page=2&tbnh=123&tbnw=153&start=34&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:46,s:0,i:240

I was not able to remove masters from my new merged file because for some reason, the headers do not load at all! What should I do in this case?

Huh. I'm not sure what you mean by the headers not loading...If something doesn't load in TES5Edit, that's usually indicative of a corrupted .esp file.

• 3 weeks later...

So by creating a merged esp, would it remove the dependency of these mods being in my load order? Thus, if for example i wanted to re release multiple mods into one pack (which I am attempting) I could post this on the nexus, and the file that would be downloaded by the users would be all of the mods merged?