Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really paid much attention to the ads, i purchased my premium purely to support the site, and i also like to throw you awesome folks a bone when i can, so the donate button would be perfect. You provide a great service, and from what ive seen your generosity is unmatched, keep up the great work.

Wow! I just realized how much of a pain I have been to the nexus. I really like the Nexus. Whenever I go online to surf the web the Nexus is one of the first sites I check and usually it's "the" first. I'm sorry that I somehow hindered the Nexus and I'm sure everyone else who likes the nexus and uses ad blockers is sorry in some degree. I'll have u know Dark0ne that I turned off my ad blocker for the Nexus and other of my favorite sites. The Nexus is an AWSOME site and community and one of my favorites!! You guys deserve at least this much from me.

I wish I could do more for this site, I would really hate to see it go away. There is one thing that I'm a little unsure of: would it be more beneficial for the site if I go the supporter route or stick to my current normal membership while leaving the ads as they are? I can't afford the premium just yet but I want to help in the next best way.

No idea if this has been suggested or not (not reading 24+pages of comments) but yes most premium memberships are usually a bit pricey for a service u can get for free the 1 ima just say dollar is completely fine with me to the point it isnt to clarify id be more then happry with a 5-10 dollar price range (not to be confused with my lazy 1 euro is a dollar thing earlier) but 5-10 dollars seems to be where it should be at cuz id pay that for increased speeds (although honestly i use alot of download sites ect urs puts most to shame i mean ffs all skyrim 2k textures in under 10min i wish youtube would move like that now i had to go back in reread u can get a lifetime membership for 64$ lifetime memberships always appeal to me monthly sub for a mod site? ye noty but a 1 time lifetime is nice the 64$ is a bit much only for the well what if they go down ect but perhaps another lvl ( the 5-10$ one) for the full download speed cuz i use hostfiles adblock as far as im concerned is adware im so use to it now theres no way id go back now i dont feel like im being punished with being throttle back cuz i used the site long before it was the full 1mb but id like a lvl of that sort just to get the same speeds a endorsing adviewing skin ad user would for a one time payment

@ Zaeren - I only get 750-800k/s in firefox,about 600-700k/s in IE which is about normal,and I pick closest server.it's probably a 10mbit/sec which will probaly truely max at about 750-850mb/s downloads depending on calculations in browser and overhead. Speedtest.net only shows to the server you're testing,not gonna be same worldwide cause of all the nodes and switching,and other servers and backbones it goes through.A good test is try speedtest to seattle(and other d/l areas) area and see the ping and speed,and then try downloading from the seattle(and other tested) server.Also try d/l 2 files and see if the speeds add up,sometimes weird things happen and that lets you use the full bandwidth.Also,see if any other site limits to a certain speed,and see how fast it is to you.Althoguh the security you got might be slowing as it's being scanned,and faster or unlimited speed sites you'd never notice the slowdown.Hopefully you can get better speeds,whether it server,ISP,or some other issue.

I don't mind ads,as long as they don't crash my browser,which a few sites have done before when changing ad types,then I gotta disable temporarily on those sites.

As a Sales Operations Manager for a global company I have been thinking about how Nexus can add incremental revenue in a new and different way.

Here is what I propose:

Add the ability to directly donate to mods and take 25% for upkeep & maintenance of the site (which is perfectly reasonable). The remaining 75% is for the mod author.

What will this do? Several things,

- 1st, it gives mod authors an additional incentive to make their mods great and keep them up. Plus money, which is always a good thing.

- 2nd, it gives Nexus incremental revenue that is wholly new

- 3rd, display the number of donors and the total amount donated on the mod page. This will grab the attention of users and spur them to think, 'I can make a little extra money modding!' ...it will increase the number of modders, which in turn will increase the number of mods which will in turn increase the number of users

This is a great thing for modders, for the site and for users. Rarely do you get such a win-win-win situation.

Now a few caveats -

- they must be clearly identified as donations, the EULA prevents anything else

- it can never be required

- make it clear to the donor, that 25% is taken for upkeep and maintenance before they donate

- mod authors participating should agree to some basic legal terms

- mod authors who are not reachable or who have abandoned their projects, forfeit their donations (Nexus collects all). They can resume collection when their contact information is updated (but no back pay)