Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please add a donation option so I can make another tax deductible donation. :)

I don't need an "incentivise" reason, your site provides enough of that already. I doubt I could tell the difference between a 1Mb/sec and 1.5Mb/sec download, and probably wouldn't care anyways.

Dark0ne:Not sure you're getting the point. We're comparing the endorsement to unique download ratio, not endorsement to total download ratio.

I understand the difference. So, then the unique download number is the total of downloads across all users and all versions of a mod ? Still, I think it would be nice to add a feature for 'endorsement per version'. Wouldn't this balance out the low ratio ? Regardless, I have next to no complaints about anything on this site. Save for a request - we need 'next' and 'previous' buttons that we can click for the image section. Example: you click on a user image from an image share page, view it, then click a next or previous button to move to the next image (that was uploaded). This would be nice, rather than having to use browser navigation and then find your place on the image share page.

And this talk about donations for the site itself. I agree, completely. I've gone Premium twice now (a per month fee). I will do it again. And again. I think (though could be wrong, usually am !) that it is better for the site to pay on and off, than one lump sum. :D

Edited by brokefoot

I really agree with you 100% on everything. You seem to be running this network the way a sensible, yet user friendly business should be run. Kudos to you and throw me some ads and site skins please!

+1 for a Donate button. I've held off on becoming a Premium Member since it never offered anything I really needed and I thought I probably was worth just as much for the amount of ad views I generate in a typical month since I visit this network allot. I'd like to toss $5 your way periodically and I'm more than happy to see some ads too.

Edited by Elder III

Consider me educated. I had no idea on all these types of advertising. I thought it only worked if you clicked the thing. I don't use Ad blockers because, well, I'd have to go find a program to block them right? that sounds like work! I simply don't care enough to bother.

I feel that your d/l speed is excellent. Yes, I can d/l faster than 1 MB a second, but I wouldn't EXPECT to be served that fast when I'm not paying for something. I say the folks who do nothing and won't rate stuff should get like 250k/sec. They'll still get it. They'll just have to wait a noticeable amount of time :P I think the incentive for rating mods should be greater considering the time it takes to go find the mods you already d/l'd a week later after you've played them thoroughly. I'm new to this, and I have no clue how many I've d/l'd. There could also be a list of ones you've tried perhaps? Just a thought! I think that would help get people to rate them. It would be for sure.

Edit: I just discovered there is a list for the previous month. That's a great help to me! However, giving it to all members not just premium ones would be helpful in encouraging rating I think.

Edited by jackkend76

@Wolf6567

One of the points of this site is to give FREE access to mods.

I seriously doubt that there will ever be mods that can not be accessed unless you pay money to the site. That defeats the entire stated purpose of the Nexus.

Edited by Lisnpuppy

@Lisnpuppy

Don't forget that it would also be illegal since most mods contain content by Bethesda that has been modified by users. You obviously can't make money off of stuff like that.

And even if mods consisted entirely of original content, trying to sell them to people is just plain ridiculous. It contradicts the entire core of a modding community.

Anyway, the bandwidth throttling system sounds like a great idea and I'm sure it will have some effect. For me it doesn't make much of a difference since I'm a supporter, not to mention I probably wouldn't ever exceed 500 kb/s download anyway, thanks to my crappy service. But good luck to you. I'm eager to see how the site evolves this year.

The ability to endorse through NMM itself is a godsend. I always felt awful because I never wanted to open 150 tabs in Firefox to endorse each mod. A lot of times the Nexus insists I haven't downloaded it at all though.

I've endorsed every mod the nexus recognises me as having downloaded now.