Blog piece: Ads, Supporters, Endorsements and Bandwidth Throttling

Dark0ne

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I block ads because every major gaming-related site I've been visiting for more than a year has served infected ads at some point. And recently my own f*ù£xking website has been blocked by Google because the scumbag host apparently did something to the ads. Sorry but I kind of care about my files and bank account numbers.

It's harder to corrupt site skins so I'll leave those on and I'll probably go for a subscription, but I'm not going to bet on the chance that you are not like every other gaming site.

Edited by EnaiSiaion

You should give free premium membership to members who have uploaded a file that's received X number of downloads, or even an ad-free experience for a fewer number of downloads.

After all, you don't have a site to run without the support of mod makers. You'll simultaneously be giving an incentive for higher quality mods.

You should see about getting on Adblock Plus' "Acceptable Ads" list by the way.

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11954

Edited by SicomSix

hello just wanted to say thanks for all the help when i forget my username and pass lol this has to be anoying to web owners second i dont run an add blocker but i have an antiviruse the scans adds being displayd before the pc recives the content wich slows my net down but when an add has a virus attached the site is autamaticly blocked wich means i have to reinstall every thing to view that site again so id apreaciate the effert if you check your adds to see if they contain any keylogers extra cookies as they call it to monitor what sites you go to later and so on im tired of reinstalling every thing couse of this problem i can simply go in and unblock the site manualy but the data is there already in the program and if i unblock the info is now active wich slows my net down i dont like slow net lol no one does curently i dont click on any adds but i only recive downloads at 400 kb a sec .. i dont know wy im on satalite and have 3 mb conection. sounds good thanks for the notification. like the site and far as i know this site hasnt ever ben blocked by anti-virus program.

EnaiSiaion,

I'm absolutely correct in stating that this website is obsolete without the support of mod makers. Many mod makers invest enormous amounts of time into their work, and who benefits from that work? Currently, only the website and its owners.

Many companies are recognizing their communities' work and offering incentives or the financial platform to sell their work. Valve, for one, have reported huge successes in their TF2 and DOTA2 community mod sells. Blizzard has talked about doing this model with Starcraft 2 for years. If Steam and Bethesda were to offer strong enough incentives to use Steam Workshop, you can nearly guarantee Nexus of today would dry up.

It's also a fairly objective statement to say incentives will attract more modders or encourage higher quality standards.

I'm not saying everyone who throws up a mod should receive an ad-free or premium experience. You have to set the floor high enough so people aren't throwing up junk just to get an ad-free experience.

Edited by SicomSix

@original topic: Trackmania Exchange offers airtime on the front page for the "mods" (tracks) made by supporters. Perhaps something like this could be implemented? Assuming people who spend money on the Nexus actually care, this would benefit everyone because we might be seeing some more highbrow mods on the front page as well.

I have disabled AdBlock for the nexus and I can still hardly see any ads. They're really not intrusive and doesn't diminish the experience on the site at all.

Thank you bringing this up is such a way, if this is the least I can do to support this community then I'm all for it since I'm one of the few who actually can't afford premium. (Retired due to disability)

Edited by Woxell

Many companies are recognizing their communities' work and offering incentives or the financial platform to sell their work. Valve, for one, have reported huge successes in their TF2 and DOTA2 community mod sells. Blizzard has talked about doing this model with Starcraft 2 for years. If Steam and Bethesda were to offer a financial incentive to use Steam Workshop, you can guarantee Nexus of today would dry up.

The difference is, TF2 and DOTA2 items do only one thing: look pretty. Mods are more complicated in that the most popular mods are not necessarily the best.

An ENB config is much easier to make and yields a ton more downloads than a quest or worldspace mod, and is generally the equivalent of Justin Bieber. But ENB configs won't keep Skyrim alive, quest and worldspace mods will. Do you want to punish people who actually care and reward people who just look at the top 6 mods of the week for inspiration?

Edited by EnaiSiaion

With regards to the whole "financial incentive" talking...

I said it several years ago and I'll still say it today: Bring money into the equation and I will be gone. And so will my mods. I'm not here for money, that's what my job is for. I'm not even here for downloads or exposure. I came here, because people from here asked me to. And I still am here, because I'm feeling fine here. Which is something I absolutely can't say about the Steam Workshop so far. As soon as modding becomes all about money, it will be the end of me sharing my creations.

I'm using the Nexus for what it is. I'm sharing my mods, talking about them with people interested, helping others in the forums with my knowledge whereever I can, getting into contact with other modders with similar interests, sharing resources and doing some work on request, and I'm using the Mod Talk threads and Latest Mods lists to stay informed about potentially-interesting-to-me mod projects and the like. And from my point of view the Nexus owes me "nothing". This is a community, mutual benefit is all that matters.

And this is a mod "author" speaking. It's been 10 years now since I last was a mod "user" also.

Though this is just my own personal view on the matter, of course, and as such absolutely meaningless.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon