Weird Behaviour for an external change

osoerk

If you change files in the game directory and you want to keep those changes, the option you want is "Save Changes".

"Revert" will use the file from the staging folder and replace the one in the game directory.

"Use Newer" will keep the file that has the newer file date, but the file date can be manipulated by applications or it may not get updated in which case this option can be a bit unpredictable. It's intended for cases where the user actually doesn't know which file was changed or how. If you know that the file got changed, use Save Changes or Revert, depending on whether - well - you want to keep your changes or revert them.

EDIT: I just verified that if the file time for the two files is identical, "Use Newer" should act the same as "Save Changes".

I googled it, and yes, NTFS conditionally doesn't update the date modified when a file content is changed. I've just verified that "Save Changes" does work indeed. But I'm not sure "Use newer" is working correctly, cause it had reverted all my changes...