Vortex stuck installing mods

BeowulfNorthWind

Vortex is up to date to the latest version.

I for whatever reason cannot install any mods via vortex anymore for any game. Mods download fine, but Vortex gets stuck on "preparing for installation"

Backstory:

I had a full system failure and was forced to do a reinstall of windows. Vortex was not on the drive with my os, neither are any of my games. However after restoring a backup Vortex "lost" the fact mods were installed and I had to reactivate everything. Those mods enable just fine. But any new mods get stuck on install. I am unsure of what to do at this point. Everything had been working fine before I had to reinstall my os. Any advise would be welcome.

I for whatever reason cannot install any mods via vortex anymore for any game. Mods download fine, but Vortex gets stuck on "preparing for installation"

Backstory:

I had a full system failure and was forced to do a reinstall of windows. Vortex was not on the drive with my os, neither are any of my games. However after restoring a backup Vortex "lost" the fact mods were installed and I had to reactivate everything. Those mods enable just fine. But any new mods get stuck on install. I am unsure of what to do at this point. Everything had been working fine before I had to reinstall my os. Any advise would be welcome.

Vortex wasn't on your OS, drive, but the C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\VORTEX folder with all of the settings and mod info was.

Backstory:

Vortex wasn't on your OS, drive, but the C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\VORTEX folder with all of the settings and mod info was.

Forgot about that. I went and checked and when I restored my backup those files were restored as well to the original location. Now, what I did notice is that I still have the backup file that has those same vortex files in it. Would that be causing a conflict?

Edit: Deleting the backup copy of the Vortex folder did not fix the problem. Also checked to make sure that Vortex download folder is correct.

Backstory:

Forgot about that. I went and checked and when I restored my backup those files were restored as well to the original location. Now, what I did notice is that I still have the backup file that has those same vortex files in it. Would that be causing a conflict?

Edit: Deleting the backup copy of the Vortex folder did not fix the problem. Also checked to make sure that Vortex download folder is correct.

Was that backup really current?

Otherwise, it would only know about the mods you had installed at the time of the backup

Backstory:

Was that backup really current?

Otherwise, it would only know about the mods you had installed at the time of the backup

Yes, the backup was current. No changes to anything Vortex related. While I was reactivating some of my mods I had accidentally mis-clicked and deleted a couple. And now Vortex gets stuck on "preparing mod for install" after download. I've checked other games as well, same problem. I am clueless as to what went wrong.

How long are you waiting for the "Preparing mods for install"?

I know when I switch Games or Profiles, that sometimes Vortex can take a long time initializing and it looks like it's "stuck"

Also, it might depend on how much room you have on your HD

More than 5 minutes for a water texture mod or skse/f4se data files as an example. I'll try again and just let it sit and see what happens. As far as my drives, my os drive is a 1tb ssd that has 650gb of space, and my game drive is a 2 tb ssd with 700gb of space.

Edit: 40 minutes with the "preparing" message.

40 Minutes...yea, something definitely wrong.

One last thing, since you had to reinstall your OS, everything was reset back to defaults, so , one last effort here, is Windows Defender running? If so, make sure to turn of "Controlled Folder Access", from what it sounds like, Vortex is trying to install a mod, but there's something else (Windows Defender, another AV program) that is fighting the install, so they get locked in a loop or blocking the install and trying to install.

Just one little thing to add. You can't run from a backup copy of your games unless you know what you are doing.

You have to Purge in Vortex before making a copy.

Otherwise, Windows replaces the hard link with the file the hard link points to.

When you then give this directory to Vortex, it sees that you replaced every mod. Goes downhill from there.

40 Minutes...yea, something definitely wrong.

One last thing, since you had to reinstall your OS, everything was reset back to defaults, so , one last effort here, is Windows Defender running? If so, make sure to turn of "Controlled Folder Access", from what it sounds like, Vortex is trying to install a mod, but there's something else (Windows Defender, another AV program) that is fighting the install, so they get locked in a loop or blocking the install and trying to install.

I use a different AV. Was forced to reinstall that during os reinstall. Never had a problem with it before while using Vortex. Just went and added a rule exception for Vortex and it looks like no difference was made while trying to install mods. Would uninstalling Vortex and reinstalling it maybe fix the problem? Ive been trying to avoid that because I don't want to have to rebuild mod lists for multiple games.