Seemingly "Random" Crashes

PancakeTaker2

So I have a pretty heavily modded setup on my Fallout 4. Plenty of gameplay mods, plenty of overhauls, etc.

The one thing I have made absolutely sure to do is minimize texture and graphical modifications apart from NAC for my ENB and True Storms, both of which work just fine together if set up properly.

Unfortunately, the game continuously breaks in what I can only think of as a memory crash. For reference, I use War of the Commonwealth for more spawns in the wilds, in an effort to find the cause of this issue I've turned down most of the spawns through an MCM menu. While this lengthened the time in which I'm able to seamlessly play the game, it still results in a crash at the most inopportune time (mostly during combat). The last crash I've had was during me killing a group of ghouls with a Gatling Laser outfitted with the explosive rounds legendary perk (thanks to a mod of course).

The only explanation I can come up with is that the game can't handle its own processes, and thus it becomes a ticking time bomb - play the game for long enough, or in a place of heavy resources, and it crashes. Too many effects/particles/NPCs/etc. and the game just stops working. I've even toned down the graphics in the vanilla launcher and tweaked as needed in MO2 with the INIs. In my eyes it's practically the same issue as Skyrim has with its memory allocation, but I'm stumped as where to start with Fallout 4.

Considering it's an x64 game, I would think it shouldn't have any problems with memory. Maybe I'm wrong?

If there's anything I can try, I'll give it a shot. Unless this is just Bethesda's magic at hand.

Hoping for the best.

My Specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x

32GB DDR4

RTX 2070 SUPER

2TB SSD

For RTX 2070 it is necessary disabling weapon debris, caused problems with the 20 series.

The game is particularly demanding for the processors, this is really a limitation perhaps due to a bad transposition from the console version or to an engine limitation. I remember that even in Fallout 3 the laser gatling often caused sudden freezes.

Question: processor is overclocked?

Ryzen heat up a lot, even worse with o.c., but crashes are still the limit of the game engine.

During game the fans should turn to the maximum (or in turbo mode), in case of o.c. try lowering the processor frequency.

Edited by WastelandProject

For RTX 2070 it is necessary disabling weapon debris, caused problems with the 20 series.
The game is particularly demanding for the processors, this is really a limitation perhaps due to a bad transposition from the console version or to an engine limitation. I remember that even in Fallout 3 the laser gatling often caused sudden freezes.
Ryzen heat up a lot, even worse with o.c., but crashes are still the limit of the game engine.
During game the fans should turn to the maximum (or in turbo mode), in case of o.c. try lowering the processor frequency.

So as far as I can tell, I've disabled weapon debris and such in my INIs, read more about it and saw the RTX cards dont support NVFlex well. - After disabling this, I tested the same scenario with my gatling laser and such, no change - same crash issue

I've never really touched my processor's overclocking - rather I've let it alone with it's default state. I know Ryzen sometimes does auto-overclocking in its software, correct? If need be I can shut that down and let it run without. Though I fail to see why it would be a problem if the game is CPU heavy.

My fans are always full blast when doing high resource tasks and my thermals are within good parameters.

EDIT: I've done all I can to tone down NVFlex effects and all other associated settings, as well as ensuring my CPU clocks are default. Still, it seems that no matter what, if I shoot my gatling laser enough at anything that causes gore or blood etc. , it will cause a crash. I'm still at a loss as to why this happens or how to fix this.

Edited by SanguineYT

I'm feeling with you but I do not really get the story with the memory problems. I played FO4 for a long time on an i7 3,4 GHz, 970 GTX with 24 GB RAM and Windows 7 Pro, with War of the Commonwealth first, than with Endless Warfare (like it better) and NPCs Travel, with about 150+ mods, f.e. mods for a dense vegetation, overhauls and several HD texture mods. I usually only had 40 to 45 fps, but perhaps one ctd every two to three months at most. Why wasn't there a memory problem?

Now I'm on a i9 3,6 GHz, RTX 2070, 32 GB RAM, very fast SSD, and Windows 10 Pro and I've a lot more problems. Some weeks ago I got constant ctds every hour when running through the world; caused seemingly by a loot overhaul mod I had used for years without problems, but then conflicting with some stuff. Currently I have perhaps one ctd a day, not reproducible, and I have no clue about the reason. Windows 10 is allegedly a step back for gaming, maybe there are some strange interactions of mods, maybe it's memory, maybe conflicting item lists, maybe spawned actors, who knows?

I'm feeling with you but I do not really get the story with the memory problems. I played FO4 for a long time on an i7 3,4 GHz, 970 GTX with 24 GB RAM and Windows 7 Pro, with War of the Commonwealth first, than with Endless Warfare (like it better) and NPCs Travel, with about 150+ mods, f.e. mods for a dense vegetation, overhauls and several HD texture mods. I usually only had 40 to 45 fps, but perhaps one ctd every two to three months at most. Why wasn't there a memory problem?

Now I'm on a i9 3,6 GHz, RTX 2070, 32 GB RAM, very fast SSD, and Windows 10 Pro and I've a lot more problems. Some weeks ago I got constant ctds every hour when running through the world; caused seemingly by a loot overhaul mod I had used for years without problems, but then conflicting with some stuff. Currently I have perhaps one ctd a day, not reproducible, and I have no clue about the reason. Windows 10 is allegedly a step back for gaming, maybe there are some strange interactions of mods, maybe it's memory, maybe conflicting item lists, maybe spawned actors, who knows?

See thats what I want to figure out, is it the OS? Other system processes holding it back? The game itself? And Why? I mean, I'm sure it wouldn't help to run compatibility mode on the exe, though I'm sure I could try.

It would be great if a tool for checking and reporting crashes would exist. Papyrus is not telling much/anything about it.

Or if crash fixing mods would be available, like for Skyrim. My Skyrim for long was a crash paradise game. Since I installed it following a mod list advice with several crash and bug fixing mods last year, I did not get even a single ctd since (it's the old 32 bit version and I use complicated mods like Deadly Mutilation with it). I wished FO4 (which I like much more as game) would be a bit similar. :laugh:

I was having issues with random crashing on a small load order, at the time, about 40 mods. I run a 9700k with a RTX 2060 super, and, a 144hz IPS monitor. I was all over these forums seeking a solution and plenty of wonderful people offered their assistance...to no avail. I also notices that FO4 was gobbling up the windows 10 system cache memory and windows was failing to release it. Creating a task in windows using the following method cured this issue......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offcMVAabLI (thank you LucidLady)
Also, after doing some research on FO4 and high refresh rate monitors, I discovered a solution that worked for me...haven't had a crash in over a month....have added about 20 mods since and things are still cool......
"I think I may have discovered a solution for mine. I run a 144hz G-sync compatible monitor, so, i did a little experiment to see if my refresh rate was causing my random outdoor crashes.. as it sometimes causes hangs when accessing in-game computer terminals.

I lowered my monitors refresh rate 120hz. in the NVIDIA control panel.

Limited my FPS via the LoadAccelerator mod ini file:

FPSLimitInGame = 60
FPSLimitInLoading = 350
FPSLimitInBlackLoading = 350

Disabled VSync in BethINI. Beats the hell out of adjusting the preset interval entries in 5 differnt ini files.

I have spent the last 5 days just running around outside with different characters (one of which is and "old" level 65 character that has about 10 mods removed since his last save) Not a single crash, not even one. Probably about 30 hours or more total. I even ran thought area's that were practically a guaranteed CTD, multiple times, no crashes. My game is butter smooth and rarely dips below 60 FPS even in downtown Boston....Running a 9700k along with an RTX 2060 super, all four of Luxor's AIO texture packs along with Hein's Vivid Fallout AIO."

Worth a try if you run a high refresh-rate panel.

Sorry for the delay but I miss the discussions in which I participate: I would try to suggest a solution I do not say extreme but much more demanding, considering that your hardware is ok with the game to switch to mods: how many mods have you installed? put your hand to your mod manager of trust and start "DEACTIVATE" note "DO NOT UNINSTALL" but deactivate them one by one, including HD package if installed, by trying the laser gatling, not before making a game save.

Before this above if you play with Steam try to delete the .ini files from the documents folder and do a validation of the game files from Steam, usually different values in the various .ini files create problems, there is another one in the game folder, that also affects.

Edited by WastelandProject