Bethesda Renews ‘Redguard’ Trademark

Elsarian

I thought I would post this for those that haven't heard the news about Bethesda renewing the trademark 'Redguard'. For those who don't know, there was an elder scrolls game released called The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard. Not everyone is really sure whether or not The Elder Scrolls Adventures is considered cannon. Perhaps small tales within the lore that really aren't substantial enough to be documented. On the other hand, we have the title 'Redguard' being renewed, which is a rather interesting thing since there is a big Hammerfell presence in Skyrim in the form of the Alik'r Warriors, the information of the resistance that they tell you about, Hammerfell still waging war against the Aldmeri Dominion, plus we have the cliffhanger at the end of the Civil War storyline. Think it's possible will be taking the fight to Hammerfell against the Aldmeri Dominion and finally seek closure in the next DLC?

Thoughts and input welcome :thumbsup:

-Elsarian

Link for more information about the trademarks' renewal: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/bethesda-renews-redguard-trademark-could-be-next-skyrim-dlc/

Edited by Elsarian

This could mean any number of things although I am inclined to go with your idea of 'resistance'. I would hope that this is some form of 'cliffhanger' DLC. The Redguards of Hammerfell fighting the Aldmeri dominion and the Sons of Skyrim coming to their aid. Possibly paving the way for another installment of the Elder Scrolls series in a period of time shorter than was between TES:IV and TES:V

Question is, was the trademark up for renewal? Companies renew trademarks all the time without any plans to do something specific with them. and redguard is a trademark they would want to keep up because of the redguard race in the game. if Bethesda allowed the trademark to lapse then someone could include redguards in another game with all the same race traits that bethesda uses or make a game with the name and there would be nothing Bethesda could do about it legaly.

Personaly i wouldnt speculate anything on it since trademark renewal is a standard practice so companies do not lose the trademark. If Bethesda made a new trademark altogether then that would be something to wonder about.

I find it highly unlikely that they want to protect a game from 1998. Considering Daggerfall is only 2 years older and they give that game away for free, I suspect they don't expect much ROI from the old Redguard game at this point.

On the other hand, Skyrim does make a notable reference to Orsinium in a load screen, and I would expect Redguard the DLC to include it.

There's also a Whiterun side quest that makes reference to Hammerfell, and it would be reasonable for that quest to become important.

Edited by gsmanners

Question is, was the trademark up for renewal? Companies renew trademarks all the time without any plans to do something specific with them. and redguard is a trademark they would want to keep up because of the redguard race in the game. if Bethesda allowed the trademark to lapse then someone could include redguards in another game with all the same race traits that bethesda uses or make a game with the name and there would be nothing Bethesda could do about it legaly.

Personaly i wouldnt speculate anything on it since trademark renewal is a standard practice so companies do not lose the trademark. If Bethesda made a new trademark altogether then that would be something to wonder about.

Yes, trademarking is standard procedure, and the trademark 'Redguard' is up for renewal, however 'Redguard' was filed in 2011 for the first time. This is a relatively new trade mark that was filed around the time after Skyrim's release. The question we're all wondering is,"What will they do with it?" February marks the 2nd renewal of this trademark, so I just can't help but wonder what will come out of it.

Yes, trademarking is standard procedure, and the trademark 'Redguard' is up for renewal, however 'Redguard' was filed in 2011 for the first time. This is a relatively new trade mark that was filed around the time after Skyrim's release. The question we're all wondering is,"What will they do with it?" February marks the 2nd renewal of this trademark, so I just can't help but wonder what will come out of it.

While one could wish that they would do something with the trademark, it may simply be about keeping someone else from doing anything related to "Redguard". Or Beth might wish to forestall those clowns who go around trademarking just about everything connected to games and then sue developers/publishers about infringement just to extort a quick buck.

Zenimax lawyers will sue people for the slimmest of perceived trademark violations, but I think it's too big a coincidence to overlook. The only other significant landmass near Skyrim is Cyrodiil, and that was already done in TESIV. I suppose they could go to High Rock or maybe even Atmora with another DLC, but Hammerfell already has Orcs and Redguards, which would be very appealing to Elder Scrolls gamers after all this ice and snow. They could just simply add Orsinium the way they just did Solstheim. It might be a bit much to expect to go to Wayrest or Stros M'Kai, but who knows?