ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

HELP! Fallout 4 quits to to desktop during opening video.

DurgB

Hi all,

I've been messing around with Fallout 4 again, installing mods and whatnot, and my game has become unplayable.

When I boot up Fallout 4, the opening movie plays for about 3 or 4 seconds, then the game quits to the desktop without an error message. I've tried a LOT of stuff to make the game work and no matter what, it behaves exactly the same way.

Things I've tried:

-Uninstalling all mods

-Tried playing WITH a few mods (F4SE, Unofficial patch)

-Tried launching game with internet disconnected

-Deleted all save game files

-Reinstalling Fallout 4 from Steam (multiple times)

-Verifying local files on Steam

-Renaming the 'Fallout 4' folder to force steam to remake the folder with fresh files

-Creating a fresh Custom.ini file with the appropriate contents

-Completely removing all Nexus mods from my computer and uninstalling Vortex

-Switching Fallout 4 to use integrated and dedicated GPU

-Launching direct from the exe, from the stock launcher, from Steam, from the F4SE loader, from the Configuration tool, all as an administrator.

No matter what, the exact same thing happens every time, opening video plays for 3 or 4 seconds, then a clean exit to the desktop, no error message, no sound effect.

Help!

I'm on a Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop:

Windows 10

24 GB RAM

Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630

Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon RX560

intel Core i7 7700HQ CPU @ 2.80 GHz

This just started happening to me also, although I get past the opening video, the game crashes after about 2 minutes of loading screen. Haven't gone to the extreme of blowing everything out and starting from scratch,but have tried to use folder history restore to no avail. Problem seemsto have started after I tried to install new archive textures. Restoring the game originals don't fix anything. Vortex is constantly changing or discovering changed files.

I know this probably won't help, but one day I tried to run FO4 on my crappy laptop.

It also crashed when trying to play the "start new game" cinematic.

But it looks like that isn't the problem, since you said that it "became unplayable", implying that it HAS WORKED in the past ...