The Voice Actors of Skyrim (Nexus)

Hotemochick1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, lol, I do have the AT2020 and I already do the stuff you suggested for my V.O.'s lol, my soundcloud is just sample stuff. I haven't put in the time to clean up the samples too much, other than minor noise removal- I live in the basement with the boilers haha so there's always something on in the background, but i do try really really really hard to soundproof the area Im recording in.

Edited by 818studios

Matt, lol, I do have the AT2020 and I already do the stuff you suggested for my V.O.'s lol, the sound quality on my soundcloud is crap on purpose, its just sample stuff. I dont really have the time to clean up the samples too much and mosty i just didnt at all, other than minor noise removal- I live in the basement with the boilers haha only so much can be done unless i want to record everything at a whisper at 4 am.

Got it :)

Matt, lol, I do have the AT2020 and I already do the stuff you suggested for my V.O.'s lol, the sound quality on my soundcloud is crap on purpose, its just sample stuff. I dont really have the time to clean up the samples too much and mosty i just didnt at all, other than minor noise removal- I live in the basement with the boilers haha only so much can be done unless i want to record everything at a whisper at 4 am.

Your comment in kinda coming off Defensive and Dismissive. Mattie had never said anything about sound quality or Boilers that I can see in their last comment. All they were offering was advice on your voice acting... If quote you from a page before you say "So I'm not expecting high praise, but let me know!"

As in presumably "Let me Know" your thoughts on my voice acting which I would assume means good or bad. You had asked for for the critic, and I can agree with what Mattie said. I listened to your voice sample and thought it also was good except though few points Mattie had pointed out.

You also say "The sound quality on my soundcloud is crap on purpose, its just sample stuff..." and then continue to say "I don't really have the time to clean up the samples too much and mostly I just didn't at all, other than minor noise removal..."

Well this can lead to a few big problems because:

1). Saying you're sample content is "Crap" on purpose just makes others who read that think "Well hey maybe I shouldn't even check out his sample's because their crap and what would be the point..?"

2). Your samples are supposed to be what Modders or anyone else looks at to determine if you're right for the job and even if you have a voice of a God himself if your sample truly does sound like "Crap" people are going to take that it's the best you can do and pass you up even though you might of actually been right for the job.

And 3). When you say you "Don't have time to clean up the sample too much..." What does that say..? Well if you "Don't have time to clean up" a few samples how is any modder supposed to expect for you to have time to record and re-record possibly 100+ Lines and then edit, clean up, cut, upload, modify, and re-upload them..? The modders don't like be giving 40 minutes of Raw Audio especially seeing as they might have 10, 20, or 30 other voice actors working on the project too that need to be accounted for... It's your responsibility to "Have the time..." Otherwise most mod makers aren't even going to consider you...

But anyways, so when you say your "Samples are crap on purpose" you either really think they're "Crap" or you saying that to automatically dismiss any critic against them by say essentially "Yeah I don't care that they have faults, that's all on purpose because I know I can do better..."

You know I once had a friend who told me he could do five pushup (He was overweight but he was working out and used to not be able to do one...) So I asked him to demonstrate that he could do the five like he claimed. He goes down on the floor, struggles to get three Push ups out then stands back up and says "See!" I look at him in confusion and said "You only did 3 not 5 push ups..." And his reply to me was "Yeah but I know I can do five push ups..." I asked him if he had ever done 5 before and he said "Nope... But I know I could if I wanted too...

Up to this day I never seen him do five push ups... And you know what I don't believe he can... Now you might wonder why I bring this up, well that is a true story and it helps to emphasize my point in this. How..? Well let's look at it this way, He would Dimiss my critic in his ability to do better by saying he knows he can "Do Better" without any proof he can, much the same as you saying that the sample is bad only because you have it "Purposely Crap" (Aka "Bad") because it's a sample and you know you can "Do Better..." Both of these are used in a way to say "Hey I'm not trying my Hardest so you shouldn't criticize me and you shouldn't believe this the best of what I can do because, 'I know' I can Do Better and you should just too..."

But that is not how the world works, you can't submit and essay in school full of mistake then tell the teacher "Hey you can't mark me down because I could of done better if I tried..." Or you can't submit a paperwork to your boss full of errors and say "Hey you can't Demote/Fire me because I didn't put much effort in, but I could of..." And the samples are the same way you can't tell a mod maker "Hey disregard my sample is bad because that is all on purpose and I can do better you just have to take my word for it..." It just doesn't work that way...

And next is the time thing... Once again either you didn't really have time to spend maybe 10 minutes to do some editing on you busy schedule... Or you are once again using that as an excuse... Saying "Hey they're bad but it's not my fault because I didn't have time to make them better..." Now that might actually be valid reasoning if you were one of the busiest people in the world, but it would seem unlikely that you couldn't take a few minutes even if it took a couple of days to fix edit it a little before uploading... Otherwise it's not that you "Didn't have the time..." It's that you "Didn't put the time in..." Which is too completely different things...

I remember awhile ago when I had made a comment of your YouTube channel when you were asking how you could make improvements to your channel and I simply suggested that great editing make all the difference. I had not seen your channel but was saying it as a generalized statement and as a lesson I had learned. You seemed to of had taken it personally as an insult that I was saying you didn't do enough editing on your channel and you even apologized "For coming off as a Dick" (Your words not mine) after it was clarified that I was only speaking from experience and not criticizing you.

So the reason I am writing this post is just as a point that if you keep acting defensive about things like this, it comes of as rude. If you ask for Critic and then dismiss someone's actually valid critic with excuses "Like I wasn't trying" or "I didn't have time..." People are going to lose respect for you very quickly and no longer wish to help you... It's not a personal attack, and sometimes you just have to go "Hey you know what your right I really could work on that thanks for the advice!"

I mean what if you actually land a role for a mod maker and they tell you "Your being a little too high pitched..." Or "Your voice is dipping off a little to much at the ends of words..." You giving them a whole bunch of pointless excuses to as why that's happening and how it's not your fault is going to guarantee their never going to have you voice act for them again.

However on the contrary most mod makers are willing to work with you if you listen to them when they give you critic, and so long as you say something like "I see your point and I'll work on it..." And not just throw a bunch of excuses at them of how it's not your fault... And if you do work on it, and continue to ask them for advice on advancing your skills they will typically be happy to help. And honestly if their critic is unreasonable "Like they think you sound like a little girl even when you actually sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger..." Then speak up about it... And if it comes down too it, maybe tell them to find someone else for the role... But 99% of the time the Critic that is offered to you is only offered to help you and will typically help you if you follow it.

So my point is please don't take things so personal on here, and if someone offer you critic (Especially when you ask for it...) DO NOT just give a whole bunch of excuses dismissing the Critic as it is disrespectful. People on here like Mattie are trying to help and the other Mod Makers are trying to help, not attack you. And if you are unwilling to listen to their valid point or just dismiss them they are not going to try and help you anymore, and might even lose any interest in you Voice Acting for them. Please be respectful to everyone on here, and understand people are just trying to help. Thank You.

Edited by TrollFaceTheMan

In other news I am recovering from a Kidney infection so severe that I could of lost my Right Kidney, and then could of went into Septic Shock and died... I was in excruciating pain for 4 days (The worst pain in my life) but was horribly sick with a fever for for almost a week and a half beofre that... I lost my job and couldn't offered to go to the doctors... So I took some expired antibiotics that were for my dog that were never actually used... (Don't worry I have some knowledge in the medical field and had made sure that the antibiotics were able to treat the bacteria causing the infection and that they hadn't turned toxic of ineffective with age like some types can...)

So long story short, without a job I can more readily help with voice acting again... After a few more days recovering that is... *Yay!!*

OK EVERYONE

So there have been a few posts by me that have admittedly- come off Horribly and just made me look and sound like a foolish dick.

To Mattiewagg - I apologize for that post at the top, the one regarding the mic i use and such- that should have been a private message (where the topic began) and it was posted here, I was not paying attention, and that's my fault.

To TrollFaceTheMan - While I dislike that last post, I probably wouldn't if there wasn't truth in it, and upon self evaluation you are completely correct. I was being defensive- but also I admit, there's no way the Mattie could've known I already have the mic she was suggesting I use, and for me to assume that well... we all know what they say about assumptions. So Mattiewagg, I got annoyed for a dumb reason because you were telling me to use a mic I was already using - That's totally on me and I apologize.

And Yes, I also asked for critiques* on my voice samples. While I don't at all disagree that I could make them better, and that there is a difference between, "don't have time for" and "won't make time for", I still stand by the fact that they are just samples. Sure I could go back and make them better and the only reason I haven't is I'm just focusing on my YouTube Channel right now, which has been taking up every single moment of my day that isn't being used to help a friend do massive amounts of yard work. I also do not have a job so day to day living isn't and easy thing to do for me, but you all don't need to hear that, you just need to hear my voice samples... which sound like crap. Personally though, the only reason they haven't been improved is because I have not set aside the time to devote to making better quality sound samples, and I will be doing that in the future. I also do not mean to use my life as an excuse for not doing things, it isn't - I'm just a lazy bastard. But seriously, my YouTube channel is what I'm focusing most of my time on, and this is a fun hobby for me. I don't want to be the guy people know by name as the "Uncritiquable a**hole" who asks for critiques just to s*** on you for critiquing him. I ask because it helps me improve not just as a VA but as an actor and person In general.

LONG STORY SHORT - I've spent a lot of time sounding like a defensive a**hole, and I don't want to be that guy. Let someone else take up that role.

Truth be told this isn't a rebuttal, this is me reading Troll's post, feeling ashamed and embarrassed about the truth of it, and attempting to clarify and make amends for my transgressions. Thank you all for reading.

Edited by 818studios

+Mattiewagg

Sorry, should have clarified. I use gaming headphones, which come attached with a microphone. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earphone-Over-Ear-Headphone-Microphone-Computer/dp/B00DU2CHE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437855300&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+headphones

Tell me what you think of my Voice Acting, though!

+Mattiewagg

Sorry, should have clarified. I use gaming headphones, which come attached with a microphone. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earphone-Over-Ear-Headphone-Microphone-Computer/dp/B00DU2CHE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437855300&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+headphones

The VA was pretty decent; but if you're interested in VAing I recommend something different. Headsets just don't cut it.

If you're looking for something cheap, I recommend the AT2020 or if you're looking for REEEALLY cheap then the Blue Snowball - but the quality on that isn't as good. Be sure to pick up a pop filter as well.

@818 I did not take your post as defensive or dismissive. I do think you should put up samples that appropriately show the quality of your work, BUT I did not take what you said badly.

I edited the comment a bit so I don't sound like a huge dick. TrollFace we need to talk.

You had already made some points clear in PM, but I think it's best for you to make those points public here so others can understand the situation better and not misinterpret it based on the present look of the scenario. Which is easy to do without the extra information you have said to me privately, which you have not stated at all here.

+Mattiewagg

The VA was pretty decent; but if you're interested in VAing I recommend something different. Headsets just don't cut it.

If you're looking for something cheap, I recommend the AT2020 or if you're looking for REEEALLY cheap then the Blue Snowball - but the quality on that isn't as good. Be sure to pick up a pop filter as well.

@818 I did not take your post as defensive or dismissive. I do think you should put up samples that appropriately show the quality of your work, BUT I did not take what you said badly.

818 had made some points clear to me via PM about why he said what he said which makes more sense with the information that he told me about a set of PM's, and I am trying to encourage to post those points here.