Console modding permissions (suggestion/confusion)

Rex7Dragon95

the way its worded is crap.

Console modding permission
The author gave permission for someone else to port this mod to console and for it to be uploaded to
Bethesda.net. Please credit the author, however

really should be this

Console modding permission
The author gave permission for anyone to port this mod to console and for it to be uploaded to
Bethesda.net. Please credit the author, however you wish.

or at lest adjust the context of it

"Please credit the author, however" is a perfectly fine and proper sentence.

It's just missing a period at the end.

Took me a few read throughs to notice, but the change of "someone" to "anyone" is the change that the OP is promoting I believe (and though it's a subtle change does make the intent of the Console Modding Permission statement clearer in my opinion).

Took me a few read throughs to notice, but the change of "someone" to "anyone" is the change that the OP is promoting I believe (and though it's a subtle change does make the intent of the Console Modding Permission statement clearer in my opinion).

Someone is basically the same as Anyone.

Both ways are grammatically correct, and no changes are needed

Also, OP made this unnecessary change

Please credit the author, however

Please credit the author, however you wish.

True, though I do also see how in the context of the mod comment discussion that Rex linked the misunderstanding originated.

If I say to you "Someone else has permission to port this mod to console" it is easy to interpret "someone" as referring to a particular individual you have chosen to not name. In contrast if I said "Anyone has permission to port this mod to console" it is clear that no particular person is being referred to.

Ambiguity is one of the outstanding qualities of the English language, and if you weren't born and raised on it that very quality can lead you to different conclusions than intended (as Link discovered). So does the fate of the free world rest on resolving the amiguity ... I think not.

True, though I do also see how in the context of the mod comment discussion that Rex linked the misunderstanding originated.

If I say to you "Someone else has permission to port this mod to console" it is easy to interpret "someone" as referring to a particular individual you have chosen to not name. In contrast if I said "Anyone has permission to port this mod to console" it is clear that no particular person is being referred to.

Ambiguity is one of the outstanding qualities of the English language, and if you weren't born and raised on it that very quality can lead you to different conclusions than intended (as Link discovered). So does the fate of the free world rest on resolving the amiguity ... I think not.

I get what you're saying, however

"Someone else" would've been clarified/qualified with "I've given", or "I've already given" preceding it then, if that was the case that it was specifically meant that only one specific person has the right to port it.

"I get what you're saying, however

"Someone else" would've been clarified/qualified with "I've given", or "I've already given" preceding it then, if that was the case that it was specifically meant that only one specific person has the right to port it."

If the misunderstanding stemmed from a forum/mod comment post I totally agree, but in the case of Link and Rex I think it all got started from Link misunderstanding the Permissions and Credits tab of the mod (so boilerplate wording) and then sought further information via the mod comments. My interpretation of Rex's request was to change the wording of that Permissions/Credits tab item.

In any case HadTo I'm not right (or wrong) ... just different (in this case standing in a different spot, and offering what the view looks like from where I'm standing). Last time I looked out the window the sun seemed to be still making it's slow march across the sky, so all is still well in our little corner of the universe.

I think the question should be does the "someone" version and the "anyone" version read the same to a non-native English speaker? If not then the change might be useful.

that's what i was thinking about mostly when i made this post.

i was like if this person can't understand the context then what about other non english speaking people.

yeah i don't know why i did that, i guess the lack of a period made me want to finish the sentence (shrugs).

just however is weird to me and I'm a U.S citizen .

Edited by Rex7Dragon95

well you are right but you need to stop and think from the perspective other people not just you.

i mean i can understand it but but some other people might not as shown in my picture if anything, it could do with an adjustment.