Nexusmods suggestion- hover definitions

DelaneyK

First up, this is my first post and I am absolutely in love with Nexus and Vortex- amazing work!

So as a new user coming in to modding Skyrim, I am hitting a bit of problem with all the many, many abbreviations everyone is using- there are a LOT to learn, and it can be rather frustrating to start with.

My suggestion to smoothing this experience completely out for new users is adding a feature to the nexus site and vortex that allows common abbreviations to be flagged with hover over definitions. (see GIF attached)

So, say, a Skyrim SE mod uses SkySA- Hovering over the colored text for a second or two it will pop up the alternative text "Sky A: Combat Behavior Compulsion".

A list of definitions could be made by users and curated by Nexus, and automatically be applied. More advanced users can check off this feature.

Hope everyone is having an awesome day.

First up, this is my first post and I am absolutely in love with Nexus and Vortex- amazing work!

So as a new user coming in to modding Skyrim, I am hitting a bit of problem with all the many, many abbreviations everyone is using- there are a LOT to learn, and it can be rather frustrating to start with.

My suggestion to smoothing this experience completely out for new users is adding a feature to the nexus site and vortex that allows common abbreviations to be flagged with hover over definitions. (see GIF attached)

So, say, a Skyrim SE mod uses SkySA- Hovering over the colored text for a second or two it will pop up the alternative text "Sky A: Combat Behavior Compulsion".

A list of definitions could be made by users and curated by Nexus, and automatically be applied. More advanced users can check off this feature.

+1000

YES! YES! YES!!! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!

SUGGESTION OF THE FREAKING YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

+1000

YES! YES! YES!!! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!

SUGGESTION OF THE FREAKING YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

It IS an excellent suggestion...you said very well for all of us!

(I hit the wrong quote button. This is supposed to be a response to your message "AM I the only other person who thinks this is an awesome idea?")

So this is technically already possible, but only on the forum side. I'm a little hesitant to use it though because there's a very real possibility that some acronyms mean different things in different games. A "cheat sheet" on the wiki might be a better way to go.

So this is technically already possible, but only on the forum side. I'm a little hesitant to use it though because there's a very real possibility that some acronyms mean different things in different games. A "cheat sheet" on the wiki might be a better way to go.

You no doubt have access to the site's traffic data ... what percentage (or perhaps percentage of a single percent) of the forums and Nexus mod's traffic goes to the Wiki?

You no doubt have access to the site's traffic data ... what percentage (or perhaps percentage of a single percent) of the forums and Nexus mod's traffic goes to the Wiki?

I don't have that specific information, but if nothing else, having it on the wiki would make it easy to find with Google

I don't have that specific information, but if nothing else, having it on the wiki would make it easy to find with Google

In my opinion (and experience) those that need their hand held will need their hand held regardless of what is freely available to them. Perhaps they are incapable of independent thought, or perhaps they are lazy (or even lack an innate sense of curiousity). In any case I take solace in the knowledge that I will always have somewhere to ply my trade.

The other advantage to the wiki option is that anyone in the community can add to or update it. The acronym feature on the forums would require admins to manually add new phrases periodically, also it only works on the forum (I'd wager 90% of views are from the site side).