gun control - what are we waiting for ?

xrayy

I don't believe it's a rewriting at all, the first half only explains why the people should have a right to be armed because they would be unable to form a militia without weapons, unless they're planning to form a social workers militia

As I explained earlier, the "well regulated militia" was written as the superior or most important clause in the Amendment. What the American Supreme Court did was to eliminate the "well regulated" portion of the Amendment, which is the very definition of Judicial Activism.

And I will leave that there.

At the time that was written, "Well Regulated" meant "Functions Properly", not "restricted by law". That too has been discussed quite frequently here in the US.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe it's a rewriting at all, the first half only explains why the people should have a right to be armed because they would be unable to form a militia without weapons, unless they're planning to form a social workers militia

As I explained earlier, the "well regulated militia" was written as the superior or most important clause in the Amendment. What the American Supreme Court did was to eliminate the "well regulated" portion of the Amendment, which is the very definition of Judicial Activism.

At the time that was written, "Well Regulated" meant "Functions Properly", not "restricted by law". That too has been discussed quite frequently here in the US.

"Well regulated" means neither "Functions Properly" nor "Restricted by law". Remember, militia have a long history which predates the American Revolutionary War. In the 1600s, militia were used to fend off attacks by indigenous peoples who resented being pushed off their lands. Militia were used during the war between England and France over control of the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence River region as well as for control of the greater Mississippi drainage area. Militia were also used as posses, in the event there was a need to track down and return a fleeing felon. So, militia have a long and somewhat checkered history in North America.

"Well regulated" meant accountable to a governmental or municipal entity for direction and oversight, just as they placed the military under civilian control. Militias, or any group of armed men, possess the potential to turn from protectors to vigilantes. To the writers of the Constitution and the Amendments, "well regulated" literally meant "under control of and responsible too", because a bunch of armed men with no control of oversight are little more than a mob.

"Well regulated" means neither "Functions Properly" nor "Restricted by law". Remember, militia have a long history which predates the American Revolutionary War. In the 1600s, militia were used to fend off attacks by indigenous peoples who resented being pushed off their lands. Militia were used during the war between England and France over control of the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence River region as well as for control of the greater Mississippi drainage area. Militia were also used as posses, in the event there was a need to track down and return a fleeing felon. So, militia have a long and somewhat checkered history in North America.

"Well regulated" meant accountable to a governmental or municipal entity for direction and oversight, just as they placed the military under civilian control. Militias, or any group of armed men, possess the potential to turn from protectors to vigilantes. To the writers of the Constitution and the Amendments, "well regulated" literally meant "under control of and responsible too", because a bunch of armed men with no control of oversight are little more than a mob.

There are a fair few constitutional scholars that disagree with you. Not to mention the Supreme Court. Think I will go with their interpretation, not yours.......

There are a fair few constitutional scholars that disagree with you. Not to mention the Supreme Court. Think I will go with their interpretation, not yours.......

Thus the earlier point about Judicial Activism. The US Supreme Court ignored the fact that the American Constitution placed the nations Military under civilian authority and instead, removed the control of militia from civilian authority, That action gave citizens unfettered access to weapons with no oversight or control. You have but to look too your school yards and churches and synagogues and mosques to see what that decision precipitated.

Edit:

As to who agrees or disagrees, I rely on the words of Thomas Paine. My comment about armed men with no control being a mob is a paraphrase of one of his comments.

Edited by Guest

In any case taking people's guns now wouldn't work since most wouldn't give them willingly and even without guns evil always finds a way untill it's stopped

Taking guns would work if Americans had respect for their own laws, and by extension, themselves. But, as your comment implies so eloquently, Americans have no respect for their own laws and will excuse; and even abet, any abhorrent behavior in the name of "freedom".

And that is what Thomas Paine feared and railed against, an armed citizenry with no control or oversight. An uncontrolled, armed mob without regard or respect for societal norms and morality; the rule of law and the law itself; and the rights of others. Exactly what the American Supreme Court created.

Congratulations America, you routinely sacrifice your school children to the almighty GUN on the Alter of Freedom.

Their law says that they have a right to bear arms. I believe everyone should have a right to it, even your leftist hands croc. I have no idea who this thomas is and don't really care but normal people who want to have a gun for protection or hobby has nothing to do with an uncontrolled mob

I have agree with Salty, except to highlight one small detail. It's not "guns" per se that is are issue, it's the over all "culture" in the US. Note two recent events that highlight the point.

1 - Two teenage girls attempted to carjack a 60+ y/o Uber Driver using a Tazer as a weapon. With the driver hanging on to the side of the car, one of the girls drove the car down the street and rolled it a few hundred metres away - crushing and killing the poor driver. Instead of attempting to aid the stricken driver, one of girls only cared about her mobile phone still stuck in the car, while the other didn't seem to care for anything at all.

2 - A middle aged man, having recently been released from a 17 year prison sentence for killing his mother, decided to assault and beat an elderly woman, a complete stranger, and kick while she was on the ground. Even worse, the incident happened outside an establishment with several security guards, none of whom went to her aid, but instead closed the establishment doors, so as not to get involved, and perhaps thinking to avoid possible criminal charges.

That is the current "culture" in America, and sadly because of it's (former?) position on the world stage, many "western" countries mimic the behaviour they see and hear on American Media. And NO these are not "isolated" incidents, they happened only with the last week or so, and there are 10's of thousands more just like them every year in the land of hope and FREEDOM.