Witcher 2 "Redkit" SDK released for modders, NMM support inbound

Dark0ne

CDProjektRed committed to releasing a powerful toolkit for The Witcher 2 some time ago and it’s been in a closed beta for many months now, but today the lid is off and the kit is out there for everyone to use.

It’s really exciting for a great game like The Witcher 2 and it’s modding community to be strongly supported by the developers, and it’s a great breath of fresh air for a triple A game developer to care so much about it, and it bodes really well for The Witcher 3. That’s why I care about supporting CDProjekt as much as possible in whatever way I can and getting the word out there to any of you who might be interested; The Witcher 2 modding just got a whole lot better.

There are already a lot of mods available on our Witcher Nexus site for you to download and use. This release of the Redkit will open the modding doors to much wider modding possibilities including epic quest lines, new locations and everything in between so keep your eyes peeled as many mod authors in the closed beta have been working on some great projects for many months now. I’m sure we’ll be hearing from them in due course.

In the coming months as we work towards our goal of supporting mods for all games we will be splitting any sites that have more than 1 game supported (for example Witcher Nexus, which supports TW1 and TW2) into separate sites for each game. This should help increase ease of use for people looking for specific mods for specific games.

We’ve also been working behind the scenes to make NMM compatible with the new Witcher 2 mods that will have been created by the Redkit. While we’re confident we’ve got it right we’re going to wait a day or two until we can test a few of the new creations uploaded to the site before we give it the all clear and release that functionality to you. If you’re a mod author wondering how you should package up your files to work in NMM I’m told all you need to do is place your files in the root of the archive you create, e.g. don’t create a folder for your mod, like placing all your files in a folder called “My first mod”. Just put it all in the root directory.

To download the Redkit and find all the information you need on how to get started with it head on over to the Redkit site CDProjekt have setup.

In the meantime you can take a look at the trailer CDProjekt released for the Redkit, with perhaps the most high-octane music I’ve ever heard used to show case mod tools!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am afraid they released it a bit too late, if they had released it earlier a modding community similar to Skyrims could've developed. Now most who were genuinely interested in modding Witcher 2 will already have moved on.

lol i got myself witcher 2 and only played it 5 minutes, after that bought skyrim... been addicted to that sinds its release XD

tough the release of a tool to make a lot of mod's and changes might make me re install it again XD

Edited by jefthereaper

I am already drooling over Witcher 3. I hope they release a similar toolkit with it--the sandbox format screams for a modding community IMo.

Meanwhile I guess I will be going back to Witcher 2 again. :-)

Thanks to all the people who beta tested and to Dark0ne for hosting Witcher mods on the Nexus!

This is probably a warm-up to Witcher 3 modding support. The community can now learn the tools of the trade and when Witcher 3 comes out everyone will be ready to unleash their creativity and know what they're doing. Smart. This is probably in direct response to Skyrim's modding success. Steam Workshop support will be ready to go as well, mark my words. Edited by njits

I really do love The Witcher and I'm happy to see this kit released. There are so few mods available currently and none specifically that I use. I would definitely play a lot more of it if some great mods were released to enhance the whole adventure.

This really is good news for such a great game.