Should i buy a ssd or a new gpu?

leonard124798

Hey folks, I'm currently experiencing a lot of stutters/freezing while playing skyrim with over 240 mods, but my game is fairly smooth when it doesn't stutter (50-60fps), I'm currently using a RX560 gpu, but my HDD is pretty terrible, so to stop the stuttering should i buy another gpu or invest in a SSD?, I plan on buying a gtx 1050 ti in case the gpu's the problem

Why not both? :)

Â

Vid card would be a nice performance improvement, but, will it solve the problem? Good question....

Exactly I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this awful stuttering, but it's more frequent when I'm outdoors in skyrim, when I'm in a dungeon for example the stuttering happens in a much lesser extent

Why not both? :smile:

Â

Vid card would be a nice performance improvement, but, will it solve the problem? Good question....

Exactly I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this awful stuttering, but it's more frequent when I'm outdoors in skyrim, when I'm in a dungeon for example the stuttering happens in a much lesser extent

That would imply its a data-throughput issue, and the SSD would be more likely to alleviate it.

I'd pick the SSD. The 1050 Ti isn't going to be much an improvement, the SSD will speed up the entire system though. GPU's are also in a bad place price wise, so it's better to wait. SSD's may be headed in the same direction due to developments made in a new Crypto, so probably best to buy now before they get even more expensive.

• 2 months later...

Go with the SSD, you'll notice an immediate improvement when it comes to data transfer/read speeds; also your os will boot much faster (likely that you'll also wonder why you didn't get one earlier)

It'd be prefereable to go for a minimum of a 1tb model, 2tb ideally if you can afford it. Your RX560 should be more than enough to play heavily-modded Skyrim, plus the gpu market is still an absolute clusterf*** & units are way overpriced, hence why I'd recommend an ssd over a gpu.

this thread is old but it is a common question and to make it complete:

1. yes, always go with ssd. it massively accelerates loading times and texture loading in game.

2. nvidia do much better than amd in case of their drivers in open world games up to dx11. reason is the better optimization to process draw calls, which means lesser "stalls" between cpu and gpu in case of processing high draw call (or object) amount in an open world exterior scene. these "stalls" are the fps drops you encounter.

3. high single core cpu ipc is also important. it lowers the chance of the "stalls" so especially older amd cpu - regardless of the amount of cores (zen1 and older) are not advisable to use.

to answer your question: you need to check all relevant components (cpu,gpu, memory and harddrive).

to minimize stutter avoid severe weakness of any of these components.

this thread is old but it is a common question and to make it complete:

1. yes, always go with ssd. it massively accelerates loading times and texture loading in game.

2. nvidia do much better than amd in case of their drivers in open world games up to dx11. reason is the better optimization to process draw calls, which means lesser "stalls" between cpu and gpu in case of processing high draw call (or object) amount in an open world exterior scene. these "stalls" are the fps drops you encounter.

3. high single core cpu ipc is also important. it lowers the chance of the "stalls" so especially older amd cpu - regardless of the amount of cores (zen1 and older) are not advisable to use.

to answer your question: you need to check all relevant components (cpu,gpu, memory and harddrive).

to minimize stutter avoid severe weakness of any of these components.

There is always a choke point in any system. Upgrading parts just changes where it is. :) That said, for most folks that are already running a 'gaming' machine, an SSD upgrade is ALWAYS a good idea. The faster the drive, the better. If you can do M2 NVME plugged right into the mainboard, that is ideal. I know that isn't an option on older boards though.

• 3 weeks later...