Xbox Reveal

JimboUK

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor-they're counting on it overheating. It's called engineered failure, and it's something that Microsoft has been working on for a while. It's designed to be unreliable, so it breaks and you have to buy a new one, greatly increasing sales from gullible American parents who just want their obnoxious, overindulged kids to shut up and go back to playing BF3.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/141/644/7nTnr.png

I don't know if it's true in this case, but working in the car industry I see this a lot from the Volkswagen/Audi group. Seems to be a bit of a Western thing since none of the Japanese brands seem to do it. Basically, their cars are designed with a gearbox that gives out at a point around 150,000 KMs. It's done by making a few strategic structural components out of insufficiently strong materials, the result is that for a few years it will work fine, then as time passes and metal fatigue builds up, the particular parts break and cause a cascade failure in the gearbox-which being the most important part of the car, then spreads to cause further damage.

I've seen almost exactly the same failure on the same model, too many times not to know it's true. It's always exactly the same structural members, always the same model of gearbox, always around 150,000 kms. Normally a modern gearbox is good for 350-500,000 KMs, especially with a small engine like that. The failures are too carbon-copy and too unusual to not be deliberate. Cynical, huh? Thankfully the only cars I've seen it in a Volkswagen Golfs, Polos and Jettas from 2009-present, as far as I know no other brand does this. I'm not the only one to notice either, VW is currently facing class-action lawsuits over this in five countries.

Thor-they're counting on it overheating. It's called engineered failure, and it's something that Microsoft has been working on for a while. It's designed to be unreliable, so it breaks and you have to buy a new one, greatly increasing sales from guillible American parents who just want their abnoxious, overindulged kids to shut up and go back to playing BF3.

Are they selling them at a loss like they usually do? if they are then it's an idiotic policy, all they're doing is increasing their losses.

I don't know about Britain, but in Australia there is no law to limit the margin on goods sold. Most brands sell within a small margin for the sake of being competitive, but you still do see products positioned as "snob-traps" with outrageous 40+% profit margins on them. Apple, BMW and Volkswagen are the three main offenders. A BMW M-5 costs $80,000 in America. In Australia the price starts at $259,000 and goes above $400,000. It only costs $59,000 to make an M-5 since it shares most of it's parts with a taxi.

trying to get the right link here

Well I was trying to link this but for some reason the sound keeps cutting out

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/08/10/game-launch-rock-or-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-console-at-launch-video/

I love that. :-D

I don't know about Britain, but in Australia there is no law to limit the margin on goods sold. Most brands sell within a small margin for the sake of being competitive, but you still do see products positioned as "snob-traps" with outrageous 40+% profit margins on them. Apple, BMW and Volkswagen are the three main offenders. A BMW M-5 costs $80,000 in America. In Australia the price starts at $259,000 and goes above $400,000. It only costs $59,000 to make an M-5 since it shares most of it's parts with a taxi.

There's nothing like that here, we have laws on predatory pricing but not much else.

I don't know if it's true in this case, but working in the car industry I see this a lot from the Volkswagen/Audi group. Seems to be a bit of a Western thing since none of the Japanese brands seem to do it. Basically, their cars are designed with a gearbox that gives out at a point around 150,000 KMs. It's done by making a few strategic structural components out of insufficiently strong materials, the result is that for a few years it will work fine, then as time passes and metal fatigue builds up, the particular parts break and cause a cascade failure in the gearbox-which being the most important part of the car, then spreads to cause further damage.

I've seen almost exactly the same failure on the same model, too many times not to know it's true. It's always exactly the same structural members, always the same model of gearbox, always around 150,000 kms. Normally a modern gearbox is good for 350-500,000 KMs, especially with a small engine like that. The failures are too carbon-copy and too unusual to not be deliberate. Cynical, huh? Thankfully the only cars I've seen it in a Volkswagen Golfs, Polos and Jettas from 2009-present, as far as I know no other brand does this. I'm not the only one to notice either, VW is currently facing class-action lawsuits over this in five countries.

This post and your last one, reminded me of a documentary I watched a couple of years ago, about this exact sort of thing. Which makes you wonder why everything breaks so easily in Modern Technology, despite us, being extremely advance compared to the subsequent generations that came before us. Which this documentary explains, quite thoroughly I might also add, about whats going wrong in our Modern Society. :cool:

http://vimeo.com/40784272

Edited by Hardwaremaster

just watched about the last hour of the Sony Press Conference at Gamescon. i gotta say, i might just be sold on the PSV now. (whether this data has already been known or not, idk, but i just found out) Vita will support just about every PS4 game on remote play. honestly, one of the biggest reason i like PC over console, is i can watch TV while playing games. now on PS4/PSV i can do that. also, idk what the price of the PSV is right now, but they said itll be $200 with the launch of the PS4. thats a pretty damn good price. also PS4 launches on November 15. i personally wont be picking one up till either christmas or even the beginning of the new year sometime.

the one last thing im waiting to hear, if they havent already, is how they plan on implementing PS3 games on the PS4. will you be able to download them off PSN for free if you already have them? or will it just be a reduced price? or full price, etc...they said if you buy BF4 on PS3, then on PS4, for a limited time only, you can download BF4 for a largely reduced price (though no price was given) this could be how they will do things on PS4 with most PS3 games. or it could just be a promotional offer for BF4, since it was for a limited time only.

still. i am pretty damn excited for PS4 and things to come with it. even if i dont get it for several months after launch, im pretty pumped about it....also KillZone Shadow Fall looks great. i only ever played KZ2 campaign, and i wasnt a fan. i know a lot was fixed with KZ3, but the clips they showed of the multiplayer of KZ4, looks amazing. something that might get me to buy it, even at full price.