Grimoire 2.0: Apocalypse-type spell package

steelfeathers

You know, I admire your spell mods and your skill as a modder, but I don't appreciate the snarky attempt to cut me off at the knees.

I've spent countless hours pouring my heart and soul into this mod, and despite what you seem to think, I didn't copy-paste stolen content from other mods. I was inspired by other mods, sure - in some cases, I even attempted to make my own unique version of spells I thought were cool. But except for a few similar effects (and ok, maybe I should rethink some names), they are all my spells, including visuals that I made from scratch.

I never said you stole content. I'm saying if the objective is to combine well with other spell mods (as you stated 4 times in your original post), here are some overlapping names or effects. You are the one taking this as a personal attack.

Duplicate spells are a dealbreaker for many people. I removed spirit animals because SkyRe has spirit animals, abandoned many alteration ideas because they are somewhere else and avoided raise dead spells because other mods usually change the raise dead mechanics. You can't go without Teleport in a spell mod, but mine has a long cast time and near unlimited range which others don't have. That means cutting content, but in my experience you don't have a choice.

Sorry, I guess I read your initial post in the wrong light. When I read it first thing this morning, I thought you were passive-aggressively accusing me of theft, and I over-reacted. I apologize.

You're right about duplicate (or at least similar) spells turning some people away, but at the same time I want to cover all my bases. For example, say some version of x spell shows up in PerMa...but there are a lot of people who don't use PerMa, so I wouldn't want to cut the spell out just because of that.

I'm not sure if there is a good solution. I'll see about changing some names, though, so at least those won't overlap. Thanks.

Edited by steelfeathers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, more fun with Blender! I created this boss-version of the Shambles, and right now I have it set so that if you have Dark Souls, this guy pops out when you cast Conjure Shambles (his stats are better, too).

However, I leery of leaning too hard on vanilla perks, given how popular PerMa is. What do you guys think? Keep the separate DS version, nix it, or make this guy the default Shambles?

Okay, I just realized I'm contradicting myself about PerMa. Seriously, show of hands, who uses some sort of magic perk replacement mod that gets rid of things like Dark Souls?

http://i.imgur.com/Ot81ZZh.png

Edited by steelfeathers

Looking truly absolutely fantastic - I think this could be a really great mod where all the spells remain useful.

A few suggestions

ALTERATION:

Stone Golem - I personally don't like non conjuration schools having summons as it damages the uniqueness of conjuration. It's also not lore friendly. You might consider replacing with a stronger (permanent until destroyed?) version of the old rewire spell. Given the link between alteration and the dwemer, I feel automatons should make an appearance (but again not as direct 'summons'). If you do choose to keep stone golem I would suggest making it feel more like a trasmutation spell and not something that can be summoned on demand - maybe it could require clay, stone as reagents - needs to be cast on an ore vein etc (is that actually possible?)

CONJURATION:

Conjure Dire Wolf: Do we need this given vanilla novice has conjure wolf? May be too similar and the OCD part of me says it damages parity lol as there are no 'conjure Dire-other animal' spells :)

Conjure Winged Twilight: These in the lore are amongst the most powerful daedra - should be master level imo. Consider switching it's position with daedric seducer - don't forget their scorpion tails! :D

Conjure Dremora Berserker - maybe rename this as Conjure Xivilai? (It's melee and so different from the apocalypse versions and there are enough dremora summons).

Ancient Lich: Love the idea - one suggestion, there's something very wrong with the idea of a lich being weak to magic! If anything just say that it can be harmed by spells but nothing else :) Also make this spell have a downside or there's little reason to use any other summon- maybe make it turn on you after a while with % chance/have a very short duration/drain all your mana for the duration/drain your health for the duration etc.

Illusion:

Manifest Fears: Do the illusions attack the target? Feel like there should be a spell here where an illusory image attacks the target

Waking Nightmare: This spell doesn't feel strong enough for expert level - could you clarify?

Restoration:

Divine Guardian: Again if you wish to maintain this mod as being lore friendly, I suggest moving this to conjuration (and renaming it). Is TES, restoration magic is just about heal/harm magic and not holy magic. There isn't really such a thing as holy magic in TES tbh.

Anyway thanks for all the hard work - seriously impressive stuff! Hope some of what I've said is useful - Can't wait to see the final version :)

Looking truly absolutely fantastic - I think this could be a really great mod where all the spells remain useful.

A few suggestions

-snip-

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I love it when sometime takes the time to actually dig into the stuff I've spent 500+ hours on. Makes it all feel worthwhile.

Some notes of my own....

-Stolen Golem ---> I partially agree with you here. I like the idea of using ore from your inventory to create a permanent golem.

-Alteration/Dwemer spells ---> I took these out because there are just so many mods out there that let you BUILD dwemer. I had planned for a Rewire/Jumpstart type spell that would allow you to revive a dead dwemer under your control, but it got cut due to its narrow scope of use.

-Direwolf Familiar ---> In the original version of the mod I just edited the standard "Conjure Familiar" spell to be "Conjure Wolf Familiar" and made it more useful. But I want Grimoire 2.0 to be entirely stand-alone, so I took out the change. If it helps, think of it as "Conjure Ice Wolf Familiar" - that's what I had it named originally, and it IS technically an ice wolf. ;)

-Winged Twilight/Dremora ---> I don't feel particularly compelled to follow lore to the letter. :) Besides, from my reading of Elderscrolls lore, non-humanoid daedra always seem to be less powerful. Also, from a game-play standpoint, the Seducer is MUCH more powerful. Trust me, you'll adore her.

-Ancient Lich ---> The downside is that you can only have one. But I'll think about adding in some other draw-back as well.

-Manifest Fears ---> Yes, they do attack the target.

-Waking Nightmare ---> Oh, it's very strong. Illusion perks boost spell magnitude, which means that damage value is going to skyrocket. Trust me, it's a nightmare. (har har, bad puns, heee)

-Divine Guardian ---> Not really a summon. It isn't under the player's control. And one of the whole points in making this mod is to add spell types that aren't already there, like Holy magic. Which IS, actually, part of the game....remember Stendarr's Aura? Sun Fire?

Looks good. And very true, perma is popular, but its not for everyone, so dont limit your mod just because its in another one, do what you want!

Let me edit. I use sperg and would prefer spell mods not to edit perks, thats a whole different mod catagory.

Edited by Rev11

Looks good. And very true, perma is popular, but its not for everyone, so dont limit your mod just because its in another one, do what you want!

Let me edit. I use sperg and would prefer spell mods not to edit perks, thats a whole different mod catagory.

Don't worry, I'm not editing any perks. This mod doesn't edit anything vanilla, period, so it should be super compatible with anything you can throw at it.

Just popped in to share some encouragement.

Ive been using Grimoire for a few months now after looking long and hard for a new magic mod, but not really finding what I needed until I stumbled upon Grimoire.

I wanted a magic mod that didnt just added a bunch of new flashy attack spells, but one that added more diverse, utility like spells like for example; featherweight (reduced fall damage) and unlock. And this mod does that better and more bug free than any of the other popular spell mods i've tried. I also love the early access to stealth casted spells, which is very useful for early game mages or taking a more strategic approach.

Anyway I love the mod, and haven't had any problems with it in my SkyRe based loadorder, so keep up the quality work Steelfeathers.

Edited by sh0d4n

• 1 month later...

Getting back into the swing of things with plans for some new spells....

• Valkyrie (restoration Master) > For 120 seconds, every enemy you kill restores 50 health and magicka and grants immortality for 5 seconds. However, when the effect ends you must pay back 10 health for every innocent killed.
  • Absolute Zero (destruction master) > Creates a circle of bone-chilling cold around the caster for 60 seconds. Those entering the circle are slowed by 50%; targets that fail to resist are frozen solid when hit by a frost spell. Frozen targets will shatter when struck.
  • Salamander Scales (destruction adept) > Take on the aspect of the fiery Salamander. +50% fire resistance, absorb 30% of the magicka from fire spells. Your frost and shock spells are weakened.
  • Storm Cage (destruction adept) > +50% shock resistance. Hostile shock spells are redirected back at the attacker. Your fire and frost spells are weakened.
  • Icy Veil (destruction adept) > +50% frost resistance. Reduces frost resistance of nearby enemies by 33%. Your fire and shock spells are weakened.