All Newbies Read This Before Posting

Switch

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, I looked around for another spot related to rules but this seems to be the only one. Is requesting assistance with porting a mod from oblivion to skyrim for only personal use allowed? (not going to upload it merely wish to use it once again in skyrim) If so, would a post like that be placed in a mod request forum?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, I looked around for another spot related to rules but this seems to be the only one. Is requesting assistance with porting a mod from oblivion to skyrim for only personal use allowed? (not going to upload it merely wish to use it once again in skyrim) If so, would a post like that be placed in a mod request forum?

You most likely want the Feedback, Suggestions & Questions forum for this. The rules about porting apply to Bethesda's content, which they don't allow to be transferred between their games. As to mods, that would depend on the specific mod. You could always PM one of the admin staff about this if you get no useful response in the forums. :thumbsup:

If you're asking for someone to make a new mod for Skyrim that "works the same way" as an existing one for Oblivion, that should be fine. And yes, that would go in the Skyrim "Mod Request" forum.

But Bethseda do not allow the porting of materials from any of their games to any others. Period.

So if the mod included resources from Obivion which would be need in the Skyrim one, then asking for someone to so this is the equivalent of asking someone to pirate material.

What a player does on a player's own machine is a player's own business.

What two players do between themselves is also their business.

But making that business public by using the Nexus as the communications (and/or distribution) channel means having to follow the rules both of the Nexus, and the rightsholder for the materials involved. So please respect them. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Lately this day some member on new vegas nexus have been banned because of their bad comment and/or trolling/spamming/flaming and seems most of them are newbies. did new vegas nexus is the most place people get banned? i don't know here in the nexus forum though.

Lately this day some member on new vegas nexus have been banned because of their bad comment and/or trolling/spamming/flaming and seems most of them are newbies. did new vegas nexus is the most place people get banned? i don't know here in the nexus forum though.

Nah, Skyrim and the Steam Workshop brought in a whole new bunch of people who had never been on a modding site before and seem to think we use the same rules as 4chan. Based on the quality, logic, spelling and grammar of their posts the average age is around 10 to 13 years old. They usually don't last long. :whistling:

It's not too bad over there, the moron element have long since moved on. Every new game seems to bring with it a new batch of self entitled halfwits who appear to have been raised in a zoo. They soon move on or are kicked out, Skyrim has them at the moment but they'll slowly vanish. Fallout 4 will no doubt attract the same kind of people.

what would happen if you upload a mesh file from say like oblivion with brand new hi-res textures

I assume you're talking about stock assets. If it's for Oblivion then that's fine, you have to upload an edited mesh if you're creating a new asset rather than just retexturing an existing one. It's not fine if you're importing it into something else, Skyrim for example.

so if i were to upload a weapon mesh from oblivion to skyrim, but i has a brand new texture, i would get banned or the file taken down

edit: what if i edited the mesh file a bit, would that be fine to upload, because i really wanted to upload duskfang, i have someone making the texture, but he informed me that i cant use the mesh to upload as it is, since i extracted it from the shivering isles bsa

Edited by keizaalfeyn

so if i were to upload a weapon mesh from oblivion to skyrim, but i has a brand new texture, i would get banned or the file taken down

edit: what if i edited the file a bit, would that be fine to upload

No, you can't upload stock assets from one game for use in another even if you've edited them. You can of course upload custom made meshes from Oblivion if you can get the permission of the mesh creator.