All Newbies Read This Before Posting

Switch

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted a shorter version of this query in a forum thread but have not had any reply at all. If I'd been smart enough to read the rules first I would have discovered this thread and never have started the other one in the first place. Then again... maybe two threads are better than one. That being said, I'm wondering if there is a way to get an official ruling on the "adult only" content status of my mod. I'm not talking about obscene images either, just some tongue-in-cheek sexual reference content in the back story. No more "adult" than what's already in the game - to my way of thinking anyway. And one instance of potential graphic violence (actually an animation that's in the GECK and probably in the game too). The rules seem a little confusing in this case. So excessive violence by Nexus's definition means exactly what? I can't even imagine anything much more violent than what I see everytime I play the vanilla game! Maybe a chainsaw guy animation similar to the one in RE4 or something like that? Anyway, I would like to change the mods status for the obvious reasons, but also do not want to break any rules. I'm new at this and haven't even figured out how to contact a moderator yet, or if that's even possible without clicking a "report" button. I did send an "contact" email but that was probably a little hasty too as in retrospect, I suspect some people have better things to do than answer questions that could have been addressed elsewhere. My bad. Any feedback/advice on this would be much appreciated. Thank you. Edited by SirRomin

@SirRomin;

While our Rules are fairly loose (and have very few insta-ban offenses) I think they address your query fairly well:

From the Terms of Service:

• Insure that any content that would typically be awarded a 15 certificate or higher in the US/UK film and video game industry is properly labelled with the “Adult-only” option when uploading files and images. Continued failure to adhere to this rule will result in your account being banned.

Many (most?) of the games supported by this community are rated "[M]" or "17+", or whatever designation your local authorities assign to ones for adults. So saying "my mod is no worse than the vanilla game" doesn't mean it shouldn't be restricted.

When in doubt - tag as containing "Adult Content" and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

@SirRomin;

While our Rules are fairly loose (and have very few insta-ban offenses) I think they address your query fairly well:

From the Terms of Service:

• Insure that any content that would typically be awarded a 15 certificate or higher in the US/UK film and video game industry is properly labelled with the “Adult-only” option when uploading files and images. Continued failure to adhere to this rule will result in your account being banned.

Many (most?) of the games supported by this community are rated "[M]" or "17+", or whatever designation your local authorities assign to ones for adults. So saying "my mod is no worse than the vanilla game" doesn't mean it shouldn't be restricted.

When in doubt - tag as containing "Adult Content" and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Actually, after reading the 15 certificate guidelines it's fairly clear to me that the content in my mod would be at least equivalent to content in the game itself. What I'm just beginning to comprehend is why content on par with the game itself needs to be restricted on Nexus. Please correct me if I'm in error, but from what I can divine, although the site is initially open to everyone, you don't want 10 and 12 year olds viewing, or otherwise having access to content that they wouldn't have any use for if they were playing by the rules in the first place. While viewing and downloading non-adult onlycontent they shouldn't have any use for in the first place IS acceptable because at least Nexus will not be liable for contributing to the little rascals delinquency. Yeah, alright, I guess I get that now.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever considered allowing mods without any objectionable images or other content on their Nexus viewing page to be examined by everyone, but having download restricted to members only? Just a thought. Maybe it would be too complicated or whatever. The only reason I brought this up at all is because my mod seems to be flying like a bird with an injured wing. I summarily attributed this to the limited audience factor. I for one used to browse a lot, only logging in to download when necessary. Being the first mod I've ever actually uploaded, maybe I was just expecting too much in the first place. I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much.

Thanks for the prompt reply, it was very helpful!

Edited by SirRomin

It is already against our policy for anyone under the age of 13 to be here - from the TOS

Members of all ages make use of Nexus sites both young and old. As a result the maturity of content can vary and you are encouraged to simply move on and ignore any content that you believe may be below you.

Nexus sites are open to people aged 13 or older. Due to legal reasons minors under the age of 13 are not allowed to use the site and should not register an account. Similarly content marked as adult-only should only be unlocked by members aged 18 or over.

That doesn't mean that the 10 & 12 year olds and 13 to 17 year olds don't lie about their age. When we catch them, we ban them. However, If mommy sees some of the stuff they see on The Nexus (illegally) somehow, it's our fault for corrupting her precious snowflake because she was too busy watching her soaps on TV to monitor where they were going on the internet. We are after all, a game site aren't we? and games are for children aren't they? Instead of looking and seeing that we are an 'Adult game site' they report us to whatever 'league of decency ' is popular currently and demand the politicians 'do something' about our 'immoral' site.

So we try to keep it under control. :thumbsup:

Foreseeable future generally means 'in the anticipated time." That doesn't necessarily mean forever, i think, just that right now they don't know when the loss of that service will end. Which is different from a stated time frame.