All Newbies Read This Before Posting

Switch

Foreseeable future generally means 'in the anticipated time." That doesn't necessarily mean forever, i think, just that right now they don't know when the loss of that service will end. Which is different from a stated time frame.

That's not entirely accurate. 'Foreseeable future' means as far into the future as one can 'foresee', or plan for. An analogy could be: 'don't call us, we'll call you'. It doesn't strictly mean forever, but don't bet otherwise.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreseeable future generally means 'in the anticipated time." That doesn't necessarily mean forever, i think, just that right now they don't know when the loss of that service will end. Which is different from a stated time frame.

That's not entirely accurate. 'Foreseeable future' means as far into the future as one can 'foresee', or plan for. An analogy could be: 'don't call us, we'll call you'. It doesn't strictly mean forever, but don't bet otherwise.

Yes, because "in the anticipated time" is actually quite different from "as far into the future as one can foresee" and explanations of problematic phrasing is really helped by repeating the most problematic word :sleep:

I must admit "any" would be better than "the" in my version but I did say it's a general meaning.

Edited by Oubliette

Yes, because "in the anticipated time" is actually quite different from "as far into the future as one can foresee" and explanations of problematic phrasing is really helped by repeating the most problematic word :sleep:

I must admit "any" would be better than "the" in my version but I did say it's a general meaning.

No, the problem lies in that there is no 'anticipated time' -- that would scratch the entire meaning of the phrase. To say that a person is barred from an activity 'for the foreseeable future' implies that there is no 'anticipated' time for return to the previous status. It is very easy to mistake 'foreseeable future' to mean an event that can be known about before it happens. That is not what is meant when one uses the phrase for an open-ended restriction. No limit is the key.

In other words, Don't hold your breath. :whistling:

Currently, the chat does not allow us to set a limited time. So it will always say 'for the foreseeable future.' But usually if it is for a shorter time, the moderator will say so in the ban topic.

If you are chat (not forum) banned, and the time is passed when you were supposed to be reinstated, a Polite PM to remind the one that did the original ban will usually get your privilege reinstated. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be a breech of forum protocol to request of someone who has posted a spoiler comment that they remove it? Last time I "reported" a spoiler comment posted in the comments for my mod nothing happened. Yesterday when I was attempting to upload an altered ReadMe file (included with the main file), I did something wrong and everything got deleted. Everything! Usually, there is a button to upload a new file - but not this time. So, I had to upload everything again. Now, a few hours later, someone has already posted a thoughtless spoiler comment. :wallbash: I did report it, then got to thinking about the possibility of requesting that they edit it themselves option.

Thanks. :smile:

By the time I finished writing this and then checked my description page the offensive post was GONE! Wow! I don't know what to say. I'd still like to know the official standpoint for possible future refenence though.

Edited by SirRomin

• 1 month later...

I'm probably incredibly dumb or blind on the subject, but is there a to prove if you own only one account in a household that may have multiple users? Currently from what I do know neither of my roommates have an account to any sites on the Nexus so I should be the only one. However in the future if one of them do make an account (Unlikely as it is still...) is there a means to prove that they're completely separate accounts for my IP? I want to know ahead of time should one of them ever decide as I really don't wanna give access to my account (Which I'm certain is against forum rules as well.) when I should be the only one who uses it.

Thank you.