Solid State Hard drives

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys I didn't read the entire thread and I'm pretty new to SSDs, whats the advantage of getting a PCI-e SSD over a SATA?

Crazy fast boot times and faster load times for some programs. The OS drive my next PC (If that ever happens) will definitely be on an NVMe SSD.

Sorry guys I didn't read the entire thread and I'm pretty new to SSDs, whats the advantage of getting a PCI-e SSD over a SATA?

Crazy fast boot times and faster load times for some programs. The OS drive my next PC (If that ever happens) will definitely be on an NVMe SSD.

I've got one and they're worth investing in, it even cures New Vegas's stuttering.

• 8 months later...

nvm ssd is nice but difference to sata ssd is not what i expected. my samsung 970 evo 1TB is really fast in benchmarks but compared with my old sata 850 2TB evo drive boot time and loading of programs is just slightly reduced. the biggest plus is the silence. i would never go back to hdd for boot drive

• 4 months later...

I had to rebuild my machine recently. Went with an i7-9700KF, Asus ROG Strix system board, and a 500 gb NVME boot drive. It is now less than 30 seconds from pushing the power button, to windows being ready to go. :smile: I LIKE it.

OK, you said you went ALL SSD, so, what do you backup your system to?

Physical Drives?

Because I'd really like to make the switch myself, but I'm worried about Data loss from a power surge or just the power going off and coming back on quickly, because I live in a place where T-storms are a major problem in the Summer.

Lightning his so close once, that my old CRT TV now has a green splotch on it, and the built in Deguassing Coil was fried, along with my UPS being blown, and subsequently the USB bus of my Motherboard, so naturally I'm worried that I could suffer some sever data loss with something like that happens again.|

Do I invest in a physical external drive I can Image all my SSD drives to or?

I had to rebuild my machine recently. Went with an i7-9700KF, Asus ROG Strix system board, and a 500 gb NVME boot drive. It is now less than 30 seconds from pushing the power button, to windows being ready to go. :smile: I LIKE it.

OK, you said you went ALL SSD, so, what do you backup your system to?

Physical Drives?

Because I'd really like to make the switch myself, but I'm worried about Data loss from a power surge or just the power going off and coming back on quickly, because I live in a place where T-storms are a major problem in the Summer.

Lightning his so close once, that my old CRT TV now has a green splotch on it, and the built in Deguassing Coil was fried, along with my UPS being blown, and subsequently the USB bus of my Motherboard, so naturally I'm worried that I could suffer some sever data loss with something like that happens again.|

Do I invest in a physical external drive I can Image all my SSD drives to or?

I would keep one large mechanical drive for backups and storage, they're cheap and they free up SSD space.

My NAS uses mechanical drives. That, and I have three SSDs in my system. NVME for the O/S, 500gb ssd for games and such, and a 250gb SSD that used to be my O/S drive. The only things I have that I am really concerned about not losing, is pretty much the mods I have downloaded. (all on the NAS) I am retired, don't need my resume any more, and most of my important docs are stored in some variety of 'cloud' storage. Be it in my 'sent' items in my email, or various sites I need to log into.

SSD technology has come a LONG way since they first came out. It's gotten to the point that the halfway decent drives are actually MORE reliable than their mechanical cousins. And with Western Digital being bought out, and the disappearance of their higher quality drives (black, and gold) SSD's are a much better investment as far as reliability is concerned. Where I work, we don't even stock mechanical drives any more. We keep a selection of Crucial SSDs on the shelf, and if we need to replace an HDD, they get an SSD. I have yet to see one of them fail..... (and I have been there for more than 5 years now.....)

I think the only advantage that mechanical drives have at this point is, if they DO fail, it is still possible to recover data from them. (depending on the type of failure, a head crash still pretty much assures the data is history......) Just not an inexpensive proposition. (the companies we deal with for data recovery from a failed drive, that we can't do with just software, START at around 700 bucks......)

As for power surges taking out drives....... I haven't seen one yet. System boards, power supplies, ethernet ports, yeah. They get smoked fairly regularly. :) In a couple REALLY nasty cases, I've seen the circuit boards on HDDs get burnt, but, that is extremely rare, and those systems were just plugged directly into the wall, no UPS, or Surge Suppressor at all.

According to theory, a UPS should isolate your computer, (and anything else plugged into it) from whatever commercial power is doing. So a surge *shouldn't* be able to make it to your machine, at least, not via the power cord.......