Cannot login to Vortex

The program's queries don't work. Doesn't mean it's a wider connection issue with the computer.

You're using the terminology wrong then. "Network issue" doesn't mean "everything is offline".

Network issue means the problem happens in network communication.

Vortex has no temporary files? No configuration files? Nothing outside of the static files inside the installation package? Really?

That's not what I said. What I said is that those aren't reset when you reinstall Vortex.

Also: no, there are no temporary files involved in the communication with the api and no user configurable settings.

A locked temproary fail could potentially cause such an issue

No, it couldn't.

ECONNRESET originates from your network card. You had a valid network connection, the server disconnected, that was discovered by the network card and forwarded to the app.

This has nothing to do with temporary files, please stop insisting on random ideas you came up with.

Err, yes. If the program uses some temporary file for connections, and that file becomes stuck for whatever reason, it could cause connections to open and then fail because they can't deposit whatever data they're transmitting.

Jesus, that's what you're thinking? No, that is extra not how computers work. You're thinking of network buffers, those are in memory, not on disk.

They are gone when the application quits.

I'm pretty sure no software in the history of computers has used files to buffer network communication.

Do you want my IP to check the server logs? Do you want a Wireshark output to see if the packets look strange somehow?

No, because I don't have access to the logs, they probably don't exist any more and also I'm not going to spend hours on something I know is a problem in your system.

My willingness to help is finite and we're approaching its end.

Yes, it is. Or can be, rather.

sigh...

I didn't mean the installer, but the program running.

Install to a "clean" path -> Vortex Works -> Vortex creates some malignant temporary/configuration/lock/whatever files that then prevent it from working the following times the program is opened from that path.

No

It

does

not.

The Vortex installer installs only the application files.

It does not clear or replace or change or do anything else with temporary files

When you start Vortex after a reinstall it still uses the same temp files and configuration and locks and all the data the previous install created.

The path of the application doesn't matter.

For anything.

Has it though? How so? As I said above it looks to me it reinforces it.

see above.

they probably don't exist any more

Considering it's a repeatable issue it would be trivial to recreate them.

spend hours

cat [logfile] | grep [iP]

If it's a Debian or Ubuntu server at least. Other distributions might differ.

Takes "hours"? It'd take some time sure but "hours" seem disingenuous frankly.

Besides, why would a network issue always be fixed by installing to a new path, and then reappear some time after (when the program is closed? When the PC is restarted? I have not ascertained this yet).

Edited by KoelianTheSecond

Considering it's a repeatable issue it would be trivial to recreate them.

Which assumes the issue is something the server would deem log-worthy. Which it won't because it's a problem in your home network as we've already established.

cat [logfile] | grep [iP]

If it's a Linux server.

Takes "hours"? It'd take some time sure but "hours" seem disingenuous frankly.

Again with your simplistic idea of how things work.

This ain't your home computer...

Besides, why would a network issue always be fixed by installing to a new path

Why would a software issue?

, and then reappear some time after (when the program is closed? When the PC is restarted? I have not ascertained this yet).

I have only your word that this is even the case but if we assume that it's true then it's because you have some third-party software that first has to "pick up" on Vortex.

Again: purely based on what you told us, assuming everything you told us is true, the only valid conclusion is that you have a virus that for some reason interferes with the Vortex traffic. Maybe it can't hijack the application while it's running (needing to replace dlls in the application directory) hence the first session of a clean install is unaffected.

From my perspective it feels very unlikely the reinstall actually affects anything, more likely you're relating things that aren't actually connected but I don't want you to feel insulted so that's my final verdict: Your system is virus infected and needs to be fully formatted and reinstalled.

Which assumes the issue is something the server would deem log-worthy. Which it won't because it's a problem in your home network as we've already established.

Servers do usually log connections at the very least so yeah, if the program is reaching the server you'd have at least something.

Maybe not a useful something, but something nonetheless.

Again with your simplistic idea of how things work.

Cat picks up the contents of the provided file. Grep only shows the lines that match the chosen filter.

Again, it would take some time between doing it on multiple files and parsing the results. Not "hours".

This ain't your home computer...

Indeed, it's a server I don't have access to.

Why would a software issue?

I have provided a few possibilities. You have rejected them for reasons I don't entirely agree with but still.

I have only your word that this is even the case

What? What's your point, that's I'm making my issues up for s*** and giggles? You don't think I'd rather have Vortex working reliably and starting a new Fallout 4 run instead?

Do you want screenshots? Do I have to record my screen and upload the video somewhere?

My internet, especially upload, is slow so I'd really rather not have to make a video. If you want screenshots of something though you only need to ask.

Again: purely based on what you told us, assuming everything you told us is true, the only valid conclusion is that you have a virus that for some reason interferes with the Vortex traffic. Maybe it can't hijack the application while it's running (needing to replace dlls in the application directory) hence the first session of a clean install is unaffected.

That is a rather wild theory.

So, how would one verify this in your opinion?

I haven't caught a virus in the better part of two decades (I have rarely downloaded stuff that was recognized as one over the years, but it never got to the point of being "active").

Do you want a screenshot of my antivirus? Or would you simply say this somehow undetectable virus is able to mess with Vortex and Vortex only, without ever being detected?

From my perspective it feels very unlikely the reinstall actually affects anything, more likely you're relating things that aren't actually connected

I'm writing what is happening.

If I reinstall to the same path it doesn't work.

If I install to a different path, it works. At least, it has twice so far (on C: instead of D: and then Vortex2 instead of Vortex).

needs to be fully formatted and reinstalled.

Ah there it is, the "Microsoft support forum" school of getting rid of annoying people who don't give up with issues you don't know the solution to.

Oh, your feet hurt if you walk more than two kilometers? Let's just shoot you and clone a new you, maybe the issue will go away.

Indeed, it's a server I don't have access to.

Neither do I, I'm not one of the server admins.

I have provided a few possibilities.

No, you invented a few possibilities that may sound sensible if you've never written software, that doesn't mean I have to consider them.

What? What's your point, that's I'm making my issues up for s*** and giggles?

I'm now starting to think this may be the case because you're way too intend on stirring up drama and way too averse to actually looking into a solution.

Which is also why this will be my last post, this is going nowhere.

But no, I was very obviously referring to the thing I was quoting which is that the problem disappears on reinstalling and reappears in the next session. As I tried to convey:

Taking anecdotal evidence is dangerous because it leads you to rule out the actual answer.

That is a rather wild theory.

This is literally my point...

As Arthur Conan Doyle says "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.".

If I take what I know for a fact and trust the information you provided, this is literally the only explanation.

Doesn't matter how wild the theory, this is what's left.

So, how would one verify this in your opinion?

I haven't caught a virus in the better part of two decades

Correction: You're not aware of catching a virus for the better part of two decades. How could you possible sell this as a fact.

Do you want a screenshot of my antivirus? Or would you simply say this somehow undetectable virus is able to mess with Vortex and Vortex only, without ever being detected?

Again: Once you eliminate the ihe impossible...

Ah there it is, the "Microsoft support forum" school of getting rid of annoying people who don't give up with issues you don't know the solution to.

No, it's the support school for users who are incapable of following more complex instructions than "start from scratch".

You can investigate a problem, find the cause, then address it.

I tried that, failed, the admin of the affected system (that is you) is not willing to cooperate.

This is the alternative I can offer you, take it or leave it.

But no, I was very obviously referring to the thing I was quoting which is that the problem disappears on reinstalling and reappears in the next session

Which I would prove how if you don't want to "take me at my word"?

As I said, I tried reinstalling many times on the default path for the C: disk which worked yesterday but doesn't today, and many times on D: which hasn't worked.

I reinstalled it today on a new path on C: and it has been working perfectly fine.

I am guessing it will stop working tomorrow, but I can't know for sure.

Taking anecdotal evidence is dangerous because it leads you to rule out the actual answer.

What, like claiming it's the firewall even though that's obviously not the case?

Or that my ISP/government is blocking specifically Vortex, but not providing the URL/IP to test to verify that?

It seems to me the connection reset message has driven plenty of people here astray as well.

Correction: You're not aware of catching a virus for the better part of two decades. How could you possible sell this as a fact.

A virus surviving on a computer for many years. A computer that is kept updated regularly, restarted daily and has a paid antivirus that is also kept updated and has consistently scored towards the top in any tests.

And the only visible effect, over who knows how long, of this virus is that Vortex doesn't work, but only some time after a reinstall on a different path.

I suppose on a purely theoretical level it isn't impossible. Not exactly likely either.

No, it's the support school for users who are incapable of following more complex instructions than "start from scratch".

And what would be these "more complex instructions"?

It is not the firewall. It is not my ISP or government blocking it, else it wouldn't work reliably after a reinstall.

In light of this development of the program working after a reinstall, all of the early "It's your firewall!" claims are proven wrong.

They already were mind you, but they are doubly so now.

I haven't tried. I did think about it.

Annoyance aside with the reinstalls Vortex works, and once I'm done putting together the mods I want it doesn't matter if the tool is offline, I can maybe reinstall it once a month or so to check for updates.

I'm going to see if Vortex magically remains stable in the next few days as I prepare for a new Fallout 4 run.

If it's still bad, when I eventually get around to Skyrim I'll probably do as you say and circumvent the issues with MO2.