Raiders spawning inside walled off settlement?

mac2636

Ditch it and go to Hangmans Alley. Just a few blocks west of Diamond city. It's a settlement location settled in a large alleyway with 3 choke points. The Building that surround you will prevent stuff spawning inside the settlement because of natural terrain.

Coming back to this, this is probably the result of not creating any access to the settlement. You are being punished for creating no entrances. It's like creating a wall in a tower defense game. The game recognizes that there are no access points by creating a path to the workshop in order to choose a spawning location.

You might be able to get around this (assuming this is how it works) by creating open access to the workshop, but walling off the rest of your settlement, like a horseshoe.

Edited by McC1oud

Ditch it and go to Hangmans Alley. Just a few blocks west of Diamond city. It's a settlement location settled in a large alleyway with 3 choke points. The Building that surround you will prevent stuff spawning inside the settlement because of natural terrain.

Actually, Hangman's Alley gave me the same issue. I walled off the back entrance, to force Raiders through the main gate, where I had three turrets and guard tower waiting. Except they continually spawned in from the rear.

I also had Sanctuary walled off, only entry was over the bridge. But with 52 people living there (don't ask, I have no idea), no Raider lived long enough for me to figure out where they came from.

Youre incorrect. And funny that you say " ditch it" since me and many other people build up and defend ALL settlements. They simply spawn inside whether you have a wall or you dont have a wall. Bethesda just bad at programming, hopefully they are inside because they spawned inside the final waypoint instead of having it as an actual spawn point though. Gotta experiment by running to attacked settlement instead of fast traveling.

Believe it is related to some kind of strangeness with how NPCs travel to a settlement in general. Unless you arrive just as the attack is happening, the attackers just continue along to the settlement location while nothing reacts to them. This is because combat doesn't happen unless the player is nearby, meanwhile an NPC that is set with a package to travel to a location still eventually reaches that location even without the player witnessing it.

I guess it is for this reason that settlers are protected against death. Bethsoft couldn't find an even ground between the two AI limitations, so accepted that settlers would just end up getting into combat. Best solution is to just clear out hostile locations near your settlement, and setup turrets both at the perimeter as well as inside the settlement. Having turrets around the inside will also help against synth infiltrators.

Youre incorrect. And funny that you say " ditch it" since me and many other people build up and defend ALL settlements. They simply spawn inside whether you have a wall or you dont have a wall. Bethesda just bad at programming, hopefully they are inside because they spawned inside the final waypoint instead of having it as an actual spawn point though. Gotta experiment by running to attacked settlement instead of fast traveling.

While I'm not 100% sure, I think that's not how it works. When you get message that settlement is under attack it doesn't mean that game is calculating an actual attack in the background, nothing is attacking anything. Youre given timer (based on game time) to get to that settlement or fast travel to it, if you fail you will simply have predetermined consequences like all turrets/water pumps destroyed or what not. Some settlements i have get usually attacked from outside of walls and i have failed that settlement once, then reloaded right before fail and fast traveled to it - the fight was just starting and enemies were once again outside the walls.

So, enemies only get spawned when player arrives to the cell of that settlement. People often give bethesda too much credit on how well things are fleshed out/programmed, it's really not.