Google and Evolution of the Internet

TheMastersSon

Steam has updated the steam sign in on my old gaming computer for when the ISP/router/steam server connection fails. Instead of offering me a button to click on so I can play in the Offline mode until a connection can be gotten with the steam server, now the message is, "You can try to play in the offline mode."

Only now there is no visible button to click on to get the offline mode so I can play the games requiring a Steam supported Offline mode to play the games requiring Steam's Offline settings.

Anyone know how to bypass that if a connection to Steam can't be acquired while the ISP/a broken router/the Steam servers are down?

Steam only lets you play offline for a week or so before it'll insist on connecting to its servers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam has updated the steam sign in on my old gaming computer for when the ISP/router/steam server connection fails. Instead of offering me a button to click on so I can play in the Offline mode until a connection can be gotten with the steam server, now the message is, "You can try to play in the offline mode."

Only now there is no visible button to click on to get the offline mode so I can play the games requiring a Steam supported Offline mode to play the games requiring Steam's Offline settings.

Anyone know how to bypass that if a connection to Steam can't be acquired while the ISP/a broken router/the Steam servers are down?

Steam only lets you play offline for a week or so before it'll insist on connecting to its servers

I haven't been playing in the Offline mode in months. The last update they installed for their PC loader appeared as usual. One day their service was unavailable when I tried to sign in. The pop up windows showed me two notes. Try again later. Or you can try, not play in the Offline mode like it used to say, the words you can try to play in the Offline mode.

There used to be a button on that Steam popup that made it possible to play in the Offline mode when the occasional loss of any way to connect to the Steam Server or ANY website. I couldn't even sign in here at the time.

Pardon me Clint! You don't seem to be getting my meaning. I have other PC's which are stacked on a shelf. When things go wrong with the computer I am using at the time I just get another older PC off the shelf and use it until the problems Microsoft often have causing their patches to fail uploading and installing.

I did just that. When I did I discovered the PC I used had Steams uploader and signed in. No problem. So I moved the game to that older computer. Works fine!

I clicked on the window Steam shares at the upper left hand corner at the top. I chose play in the Offline mode. I played the game. I didn't want Steams Bethesda net mod loader sorter to mess around with the games load order set up with the Mod Organizer I donated to be able to feel good about using for all these YEARS.

I noticed the router light changed to red. I gave the tab that tells me if I am still connected a click and looked to see why the light was red. It lost it's connection while I was playing the game with Steam Loaded on the desktop, but in the Offline mode.

I still got to play the game while I waited for the red light to return to golden. When it did I quit the game and clicked on the Steam page where the little steam button has the means to turn On/Off the mode for playing with Steam. Remember I had not disconnected from Steam, it was still actively showing me games I could get if I turned Online back on. I couldn't see if friends were online while in the Offline mode or make any changes to my account.

I had to sign in get Steam's loader set up before I could get to play the game when Steam's Server was available again.

I noted the router regained a connection. I thought for sure I would have to sign in again having lost the connection for so long. NOPE. The Steam connection did not realize I was disconnected and I went right back to the little Steam at the top right and clicked on Go Online! Which Steam did. After it had been disconnected for an hour because the router went dead.

I decided to play the game while Online without opening mods in the games start window so the Steam Bethesda Mod section didn't mess with my Mod organizer's mod set up. After I did play for another hour or so, Steam was still in the Online mode.

Having trouble keeping up reading all of this? Don't fret I will be done in a minute or two.

I got a new update for the Steam loader a moment later. No problem! All up to date. I signed out! Next day! I signed in.

Steams new design for machines only a year old appeared. Hm? I wondered if it was just like the other new set up.

I clicked on sign in. I forgot to plug in a portable pocket router, since I was thinking I would just play in the Offline mode by clicking on the Play in the Offline mode after the Steam loader couldn't find a connection.

New Updated Steam message: You can try and play the game offline.

There isn't a button to click.

I can't resize the portal to see if there are two buttons to click on.

So, now I have to be signed in to Steam on any PC over five years old machine. With either one of the old computers! Windows 10 installed on one. They now both have the one game I like to play while Steam will allow. I can Only play using either one of those "if I have already gotten a connection to Steam First".

Not before I get signed in! Only After I sign in and then and only then can I play the game while Steam is activated in either Online or Offline Mode. The minute I click on Steam to disconnect from the Online mode if, or when, I ever cannot get Steam to load from the Steam server I won't be able to play in the Online or Offline mode.

That is, unless I do something drastic and figure out a way so I don't have to sign on to get to play any of the Steam games which requires I at least am able to sign in first. I was signed in when my computer lost the connection to the ISP and I was not in the Offline mode both times that happened. So if I could convince Steam to allow my games to be played when, for any reason, I can't get a connection to Steam I would like that.

Online or Offline after signing into Steam if the connection is lost, no problem. I can still play the game until either service recovers and gets Steam reconnected.

I will honor the license with Steam and sign on as soon as I am able when I see the equipment allows. I just want that new sign on popup link reestablished so I can play in the Offline mode when Steam or the ISP I rent my router service from has a breakdown again.

Thx Covid-19 for getting Mikey Dickless Soft to hire mentally immature super intellectual game builders and players, i.e., adult bodies with minds mentally the likes of starving children, in charge of such a delicate bunch of machines.

Guess what?!

I put the year old computer that a Microsoft update failed to install after it downloaded it 100%.

I remembered when Microsoft's Updates used to fail like that a lot back in 1999. Lost the connection more often then not at 99% and had no way of starting the load over at 99% and getting the 1% left to download. Instead the Mikey Dickless Soft system they use started the update downloading again over and over.

That cost a lot of Megabytes, not megabits, and the ISP sold us packages so small if we didn't get a clean download and the Update started again over and over, we could be cut off from the Internet for a whole month before we could get back on the Internet.

I was studying Emerson for a course I had to turn in a paper for. I was only able to read his words online from a library because it was too BIG to copy and download in a month worth of Internet service of MegaBytes. So I had to have my computer online until I finished reading it. Windows 98 SE was the OS.

I didn't like it when Microsoft started an Update during my online Classes so I figured out how to stop it until I finished my school work.

Oh! LOW and Behold!

That new computer was stuck in a loop trying to Update one of Windows 11 security settings. It is a system with so much power and no Internet difficulty that should happen ever again, now.

I returned to use it and see if the Update was complete. NOPE! Thx Mikey Dickless Soft!

But wouldn't you know it! The Steam load popup has a brand new look. Even has a functional switch to allow games to play in the Offline mode when there is not an Internet connection with Steam's Server.

F***ed both ways, So I can't play SAFELY Online or Offline because of a possible hidden breach in the Windows 11 OS's computer's system. I can't play with a sense of security unless Mikey Dickless Soft fixes their Windows 11 OS. Which is now held up just like the times when Windows 98 SE, Windows XP, Windows 7, and so on were being handled by a bunch of starving morons who are taking sick days off when they didn't have anymore, and more off then on, off than the techs who were On top of the world where fixing all the problems the Internet had.

Thx Covid-19 for getting Mikey Dickless Soft to hire mentally immature super intellectual game builders and players, i.e., adult bodies with minds mentally the likes of starving children, in charge of such a delicate bunch of machines. Oh! And don't forget to go and watch NVidia Garage Online.

I hope you're able to keep a good stream so you don't miss anything they kind of let us see, so they know we know that they are holding back, so we don't know all their secrets about building a computer at home with all the plug in cards and super cooling systems with CPU and GPU's With Power Out of this World, now. NVidia has 4090 video cards now.

IMO the computers should be able to take the dog for a walk by now.

Steam has been operating as normal for myself, that is I can boot it in offline mode which I have been doing for over a year (since the AE update) It does update the client even while in offline mode and a short time back it did shite itself and would not boot in offline as normal, it forced me to turn steam online and put my password in to get it going again but it has only done this once, I've been in permanent offline since.

The client still looks the same, nothing has changed, no new buttons and it's not doing anything differently than before, can boot a game on/offline with no problems, my PC is ancient btw. Soupdragon stated you can only run in offline for a week or so but that's no longer the case, it was like that years ago, I used yo get the shites very hard when it was like that, using the precious tiny amount of data the stingy phone companies used to give (5gb) to whack you with a ton of ads for their games and chew several hundred MB whilst at it.

So nothing has changed with Steam for myself, it's a pain in the backside to have to run that unwanted client to play a game I own which shites me to no end, If I didn't have to do that the client would be GONE from my system permanently as I don't play online with humans any more, years ago World of Warcraft destroyed any desire to play with ridiculous humans taking a game FAR too seriously.

• 1 month later...

Hi there. i think Google has played a significant role in shaping the evolution of the internet by providing a search engine that has become synonymous with internet search.

Through its various products and services, Google has helped to transform the internet from a simple information-sharing tool to a complex ecosystem that is integral to modern society. :cool: :cool:
Edited by BanParker99

Hi there. i think Google has played a significant role in shaping the evolution of the internet by providing a search engine that has become synonymous with internet search.

Through its various products and services, Google has helped to transform the internet from a simple information-sharing tool to a complex ecosystem that is integral to modern society. :cool: :cool:

While Google's owner can essentially easily mine Cryptocurrencies making it worthless money because by Google doing it, it adds higher costs to others without a floating raft with thousands of servers to mine Cryptocurrency while tough for super computer miners, and then the rest of the people at home using their home computer mining software barely can scratch up enough to buy a treat at a burger joint.