E-Cigarette and Vaping, For and Against

Dazaster

Since the American Surgeon General published the famous (or infamous) report in 1964, the effect of smoking and nicotine have been well know.

Ignore all the ameliorating rhetoric and feel good half truths. Consider this single point. Vaping is just another, prettier delivery system for nicotine; a system whose sole purpose is to keep people addicted to a product which is known to be fatal.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the American Surgeon General published the famous (or infamous) report in 1964, the effect of smoking and nicotine have been well know.

Ignore all the ameliorating rhetoric and feel good half truths. Consider this single point. Vaping is just another, prettier delivery system for nicotine; a system whose sole purpose is to keep people addicted to a product which is known to be fatal.

But Salty you are ignoring what is truly at the bottom of this ... filthy rich guys are getting filthier rich from it, so it must be OK!!

Nicotine, in and of itself, at LOW doses, isn't really all that bad for adults. Affects on adolescents is still being debated. It's all the other crap you get WITH your nicotine in cigarettes that is the major issue. Cigarette companies add all sorts of interesting things to it, in order to make it burn evenly..... (and increase the addictive properties of nicotine.....) Vaping, while not as bad for you as smoking..... (which is also under debate....) just changes the ingestion method, and the suite of other chemicals you get along with your nicotine. Some medical folks have suggested that inhaling vaporized vegetable oil really isn't good for you either. :D

I have tried all manner of methods to quit smoking. Gum, Patch, Chantix, some other anti-depressant whose name I just can't remember at the moment.... cold turkey.... Some did nothing for me at all, others... the side effects were FAR more disabling the smoking. (truly interesting nightmares being right up there on the list.....) I still smoke. I think the only method of quitting I haven't tried yet, is hypnosis..... :D

Nicotine, in and of itself, at LOW doses, isn't really all that bad for adults. Affects on adolescents is still being debated. It's all the other crap you get WITH your nicotine in cigarettes that is the major issue. Cigarette companies add all sorts of interesting things to it, in order to make it burn evenly..... (and increase the addictive properties of nicotine.....) Vaping, while not as bad for you as smoking..... (which is also under debate....) just changes the ingestion method, and the suite of other chemicals you get along with your nicotine. Some medical folks have suggested that inhaling vaporized vegetable oil really isn't good for you either. :D

I have tried all manner of methods to quit smoking. Gum, Patch, Chantix, some other anti-depressant whose name I just can't remember at the moment.... cold turkey.... Some did nothing for me at all, others... the side effects were FAR more disabling the smoking. (truly interesting nightmares being right up there on the list.....) I still smoke. I think the only method of quitting I haven't tried yet, is hypnosis..... :D

Don't know if anybody is still doing it for smoking or not but I stopped smoking via acupuncture. Had my last cigarette before going in to get it and haven't had a single craving for a cigarette in over 35 years since leaving the session. I went into the appointment being a total doubter who gave it almost no chance of success, but work was paying for it and my ex-wife was telling me how well it worked.

Funny thing is it worked a treat for me and the ex-wife went back to smoking a couple of months after I got it done. The only thing I brought to the table was a sincere and deep desire to stop smoking, and the knowledge that I was completely incapable of stopping.

Gotta be down before you can get up.

<snip>

Went that route years ago and went a few days without smoking. Then had to light up.

Returned to the hypnotist and she told me what she did is more for "social smokers"...

those that do it to be doing something. She asked me some questions and determed

I was addicted to the nicotine ( get a very mild rush with each drag ) and hypnosis

would not help me.

I now vape to get the rush. My nicotine level is 6, whereas most liquids are at 18.

So I get a very low dose. Also have a shop do a custom blend for me and the

cost of my habit now runs me about 15 $ a month. When I did cigarettes I was

spending about 250 $ a month. Amazing all the stupid things I could afford to

buy after the switch....

Don't know if anybody is still doing it for smoking or not but I stopped smoking via acupuncture. Had my last cigarette before going in to get it and haven't had a single craving for a cigarette in over 35 years since leaving the session. I went into the appointment being a total doubter who gave it almost no chance of success, but work was paying for it and my ex-wife was telling me how well it worked.

Funny thing is it worked a treat for me and the ex-wife went back to smoking a couple of months after I got it done. The only thing I brought to the table was a sincere and deep desire to stop smoking, and the knowledge that I was completely incapable of stopping.

For me, there are two problems with that. :)

First: I am allergic to needles. I hate them with a passion, and the thought of someone sticking me with a multitude of them makes my skin crawl. :)

Second: I am not that motivated to quit..... Nor do I really 'want to'..... I smoke about half a pack a day, much less than when I was younger.....

<snip>

Went that route years ago and went a few days without smoking. Then had to light up.

Returned to the hypnotist and she told me what she did is more for "social smokers"...

those that do it to be doing something. She asked me some questions and determed

I was addicted to the nicotine ( get a very mild rush with each drag ) and hypnosis

would not help me.

I now vape to get the rush. My nicotine level is 6, whereas most liquids are at 18.

So I get a very low dose. Also have a shop do a custom blend for me and the

cost of my habit now runs me about 35 $ a month. When I did cigarettes I was

spending about 250 $ a month. Amazing all the stupid things I could afford to

buy after the switch....

Oh, I am very much addicted to nicotine. No doubt in my mind. :D

I do roll-your-own these days, so, I spend less than 20 bucks a month on smokes.

For me, there are two problems with that. :smile:

First: I am allergic to needles. I hate them with a passion, and the thought of someone sticking me with a multitude of them makes my skin crawl. :smile:

Second: I am not that motivated to quit..... Nor do I really 'want to'..... I smoke about half a pack a day, much less than when I was younger.....

The acupuncture was done with a laser in what I assume are the same acupuncture spots as the tradition method would use. It was primarily on the hands with one or two on the ears. I've always maintained that the reason for it's success with me was those head shots ... fried the right brain cells.

First: I am allergic to needles. I hate them with a passion, and the thought of someone sticking me with a multitude of them makes my skin crawl. :smile:

The acupuncture was done with a laser in what I assume are the same acupuncture spots as the tradition method would use. It was primarily on the hands with one or two on the ears. I've always maintained that the reason for it's success with me was those head shots ... fried the right brain cells.

HHHmmm..... Poked with needles, or shot with a laser???? Decisions, decisions...... :D

HHHmmm..... Poked with needles, or shot with a laser???? Decisions, decisions...... :D

LOL ... I have had one other experience with acupuncture the traditional way (the little needles hooked up to the 'cow fence' power source method). In retrospect if I had to choose again I guess I'd go with the laser (which is just one more way I've fried brain cells over the years).

Plus the 'cow fence' experience brought back old memories of working a dairy farm, my first experience with a job that I knew I would never willingly do again.