About 'The Nexus mods' site maintenance cost

pyun1332

"Nexus Mods offers mods freely. We do not require our users to pay for a subscription. We have a large number of users who have never paid anything. Nexus Mods earns enough money to support itself."

But every two seconds they have annoying pop-up ads urging people to pay for a monthly subscription in order to download mods over 2mb....What blatant liars. Doesn't matter if they said this two years ago, I thought they earned enough money to support themselves? What happened between then and now?

More users, more bandwidth, more mods, more storage, etc. All of which costs more money.

If you want to get rid of the pop-ups, my suggestion would be to pay money and support the site. It's a very reasonable cost and definitely worth it.

"Nexus Mods offers mods freely. We do not require our users to pay for a subscription. We have a large number of users who have never paid anything. Nexus Mods earns enough money to support itself."

But every two seconds they have annoying pop-up ads urging people to pay for a monthly subscription in order to download mods over 2mb....What blatant liars. Doesn't matter if they said this two years ago, I thought they earned enough money to support themselves? What happened between then and now?

A website is not something you pay for once.

There are lots of re-occuring costs, like getting a conection with the needed bandwidth, upgrading / replacing hardware, ...

If the pop-ups bother you, just ignore them ...

It's not like they actually stop you from downloading mods.

More users, more bandwidth, more mods, more storage, etc. All of which costs more money.

If you want to get rid of the pop-ups, my suggestion would be to pay money and support the site. It's a very reasonable cost and definitely worth it.

I have more so an issue with their lack of integrity and honesty; they boast on how their site is free to use and how they are more than able to support themselves, yet later on they're on their way to becoming like Bethesda's Creation Club. The prices are reasonable, which is why I am considering getting it. But this seems like only the beginning, as if they are testing to see how far they can go and how much they can get away with before they raise prices etc

The whole point of me preferring Nexus over creation club was because I could get quality mods without having to pay (unless I CHOSE to donate and support mod creators, something I have no issue with). Idk, this seems kinda slimy to me how they took a complete 180 from what they previously said.

A website is not something you pay for once.

There are lots of re-occuring costs, like getting a conection with the needed bandwidth, upgrading / replacing hardware, ...

If the pop-ups bother you, just ignore them ...

It's not like they actually stop you from downloading mods.

Pop-ups can be ignored, that is true, but its not being able to download mods over 2mb that annoys me.

"Downloads for non-premium members are capped at 2MB/s"

The majority of users here has no "permium account".

You can totally download mods, use the forums without having a premium account.

It is optional, if you like faster downloads and other benefits but it is not required to pay anything.

Let me repeat this:

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY TO USE THIS SITE .

The 2mb/s thing is a speed limit, not a size limit!

So you can download large mods, but only at 2 MegaByte per second speed.

And people can upload whatever mods the like here. As far as I know, for a mod to be able to be sold through the Creation Club, it needs to be "approved" first or something like that.

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

Pop-ups can be ignored, that is true, but its not being able to download mods over 2mb that annoys me.

"Downloads for non-premium members are capped at 2MB/s"

lol, that's a funny joke.

I have more so an issue with their lack of integrity and honesty; they boast on how their site is free to use and how they are more than able to support themselves, yet later on they're on their way to becoming like Bethesda's Creation Club. The prices are reasonable, which is why I am considering getting it. But this seems like only the beginning, as if they are testing to see how far they can go and how much they can get away with before they raise prices etc

Their lack of integrity and honestly? Nexus Mods is one of the more 'honest' companies I've ever encountered. Every member of staff I've ever interacted with has been honest and forthright. Dark0ne routinely makes announcements about what direction he feels is right for his site.

Now, would I like Nexus Mods to be more forthcoming with certain things? Yeah, of course. But to state that Nexus Mods lacks integrity or honesty is, well, wrong. Unless you've got a better example than the current one we're discussing you're going to need to find a lot more evidence.

The whole point of me preferring Nexus over creation club was because I could get quality mods without having to pay (unless I CHOSE to donate and support mod creators, something I have no issue with). Idk, this seems kinda slimy to me how they took a complete 180 from what they previously said.

Oh no, please, anything but that! Please don't force me to live in a world where if I want something I might have to consider paying for it!

The majority of users here has no "permium account".

You can totally download mods, use the forums without having a premium account.

It is optional, if you like faster downloads and other benefits but it is not required to pay anything.

Let me repeat this:

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY TO USE THIS SITE .

The 2mb/s thing is a speed limit, not a size limit!

So you can download large mods, but only at 2 MegaByte per second speed.

And people can upload whatever mods the like here. As far as I know, for a mod to be able to be sold through the Creation Club, it needs to be "approved" first or something like that.

If this feature is essentially only making download time faster/better... why didn't they simply say that??? They make it sound as if people HAVE to subscribe to a premium membership in order to download large mods. That is a bit misleading for people seeing it for the first time, Iv'e seen plenty of people who thought the same as me. They should make that a bit more clear, instead of leading people on to believe they have no choice & need to get a monthly subscription in order to download large mods.

No they make it quite clear that is just the speed. Not to mention the cap existed long before the announcement. They simply upped it for those who either have adblockers turned off or chose the supporter option. There is nothing "slimy" or "shady" about the site. They have done nothing to hurt their integrity. They even go so far as to give back a portion of the money they make to the mod authors and still keep the site free. That is a million times better than any other mod site.

If this feature is essentially only making download time faster/better... why didn't they simply say that??? They make it sound as if people HAVE to subscribe to a premium membership in order to download large mods. That is a bit misleading for people seeing it for the first time, Iv'e seen plenty of people who thought the same as me. They should make that a bit more clear, instead of leading people on to believe they have no choice & need to get a monthly subscription in order to download large mods.

Because most people understand that "2mb/s" means PER SECOND.

Just like 20 mph means "Miles Per Hour."

IF it was meant for files that were only 2mb in SIZE, they would've said that in order to avoid confusing people who can't tell the difference between "2mb/s" and "2mb"

A number followed by /s means a unit of speed.

20 km/s, 20 m/s etc