Dropping files in Vortex stopped working

DarkDominion

It does work for me on 0.13.5. Windows 10. x64. What version of Windows are you running on? Are you running any background apps that might interact with drag and drop? I run GoToMyPC and it used to give fits to one of my apps because it did something globally to drag and drop and the clipboard.

Very odd. As I said: it works for me and I don't think I've changed anything in there recently.

I've attached a simple test extension you can install by first renaming to droptest.7z, then extracting to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\vortex\plugins (keep the subdirectory from the archive!). Now when you restart vortex there should be a new page in the left navbar (a little bug icon) containing a gray dropzone. Please drag the file on there (don't drop) and then let me know what it says in the box.

@Tannin42 : attached where ?

ALSO : I uninstalled Vortex again, downloaded the 0.13.5 from The Nexus , deleted the Vortex map in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming so nothing would be left from my old install .

But nothing changed : still can't drop files

@simsrw73 : I'm on WIN 7 Ultimate 64 bit. ...and no, no back ground apps that distort my dragging and dropping ... I would have noticed that, right?

Edited by DarkDominion

Back again. Just tested it. the bug icon shows, I can activate it, grey square appears.

Don't know what you are expecting, but the "grey dropzone" responds the same as the Vortex "Drop File here " zone : squared out, every sort of file type is rejected : xxx.zip , xxx.rar , xxx.7z, .jpg , .txt ... all get the same treatment.

just a thought here : I had to download a "fix" to counter the LOOT Master Update issue because I'm on WIN 7 and was getting that error on Vortex. Could that have something to do with it ?

anyway, I hope you can fix it, I really am appreciating your help :smile:

Danke schön !

Edited by DarkDominion

***UPDATE***

Running Vortex as administrator causes the problem !! REMEMBER : I'm on WIN 7 64bit Ultimate.

I remember reporting an issue on Vortex 0.13.1 that switching on administrator right caused problems ( can't for the life of me remember what it was, you might have to look it up ) .

Vortex 0.13.3 and 0.13.5 come downloaded with administrator rights already activated.

Remembering my earlier issues with administrator rights I decided to switch it off... and SHABANG!

It just works :tongue:

Oh Tannin42 : The gray box mentions "Files" if you hover over it with a xxx.7z file :wink:

Edited by DarkDominion

Yea, I told people about the Admin thing and I was criticized for it.
Now I hope people can see how stupid the admin thing and "levels" works in windows.

I use Vegas Pro for my Audio and Video work, and under my admin account, if I run it as an Admin, I cannot Drag and Drop Media files to it.
When I run it as a regular user on an admin account, I can drag and drop.

As I said n another thread about Admin and levels of permission, Windows handles this stuff really stupidly.