"What if" disussion about Fallout 76, the franchise in general and Bethesda's future

ThatMrSmile

Based on all of these observations, BGS has a major faux pas on their hands. They might lose part of their base and piss off newer gamers if F76 is too money driven. It seems to me, if they have wanted to do a space game for so long, then Starfield is what they should have been doing this year as a multiplayer game to test all of the waters. That way don't lose one money source while chasing another. As it is, money may win out but some people have long memories and future efforts may suffer.

Right now there's kind of an online plague on the lose. Virtually every big player in the business is developing online games instead of single player with online options. It's, as has been said, a relatively easy way to make money. Less story content to develop and a game that supports itself via microtransactions, if a sufficient amount of players get hooked. That remains to be seen.

I have a slightly crazy theory, regarding Fallout 4, Fallout 76, the franchise in general, and Bethesda's future among the stars. Though, to call it a theory would be a bit too much. It's more like just a thought, my personal perception of things, something worth being expressed, but by no means a statement. Agree, disagree, argue with me. Maybe, collectively we'll be able to construct a clearer picture. Buckle up kids, and don't forget your tinfoil hats! Also, if you don't know how discussions work, and you don't know, what the argumentation theory and dialectical methods are, please, don't bother posting insults, instead of counterarguments.
To me personally, Fallout 4 wasn't a very good game. Honestly, I think it's tolerable at best. It has a lot of problems, that's undeniable. I even got into modding, only because I felt, that there was so much wrong with Fallout 4. By all accounts, to me, Fallout 4 is the worst entry in the franchise. Largely, because by the time of Fallout 4's release, every bit of artistism had already been squeezed out of the franchise. When I first played it, I was like "just let it die". There is not much else to add to Fallout at this point. And it's not like there is much left to tell about post-apocalypse in general, that haven't been told already.
But! What if Bethesda feels the same? They are perfectly aware of all the problems Fallout 4 has, and they are perfectly aware of the state of Fallout as a franchise. They know what they WANT to do, and they sure as hell know the limits, of what they actually CAN do with Fallout. Also, Fallout wasn't their creation to begin with, so it's entirely possible, that they care about it less, than, let's say, about some other projects of their own.
And, devs at Bethesda were pefectly aware of what a controversy Fallout 76 would generate. They knew, it would be rather unpopular among many players. So, what if they made Fallout 76 as an online game, just to turn it into a self-sustained money maker, flowing with the current trends, and to simply forget about it for the foreseeable future?
How many times had Bethesda played with Sci-Fi themes in its games already? In many ways, Fallout 4 was more of Sci-fi game, rather then a post-apocalyptic. Hell, even TES, while being a fantasy, has a lot of sci-fi elements. During the E3 showcase, Todd said, that Starfield is their first original IP in 25 years. According to one notable letter, an abstract concept of a sci-fi RPG have existed inside Bethesda at least since 1997 (wasn't able to find the link to it, apologies). Trademark Starfield was filed in 2013, so presumably, the pre-planning on Starfield started around the time of Skyrim's release. Clearly, they have wanted to make this game for a very long time. And, since Mass Effect has commited suicide, it's good to know, that Bethesda is now actively working in this genre. Also, Fallout 4's storytelling and presentation were changed a lot, compared to previous BGS games, and it can be indicative, of what Starfield may be like. Epic, more cinematic, properly story-driven game perhaps.
Honestly, it's 100% ok, that Fallout 76 is an online game. If you are mad about it, well, you shouldn't be. There is something much more important on the horizon.

Fallout is BGS cash cow. BGS is treating this franchise much the way the Exceptional A$$h@!es have cannibalized and destroyed every single indie dev that has had the misfortune to be assimilated by them. ZoS has the same dispassionate feeling toward Fallout because was just a title they acquired from a failing studio. RPG vs FPS had no meaning for them.

But it did for BGS. FO3 in particular, has special meaning for BGS because it was Todd's baby. It was his Golden Ticket to the big leagues if the No Clip interview is to be believed. The fallout franchise was his first opportunity to do something different. And that difference turned out to be more of a FPS oriented title instead of a RPG one. Which is why we have FO3 and subsequently FO4 (and now F76) as FPS centric because this is all that Todd knows/understands how to code. IMO, he basically lacks the creative writer skill set of the original founders aka Obsidian/Black Isle Studios devs. Who made this painfully clear with their superior writer skill set/RPG & storytelling that was New Vegas.

NV will forever be the clear winner when comparing the popularity and replay value of this v BGS FO3 as 3rd gen fallout games. That much more immersive of a story with more memorable factions, characters etc etc.

IMO Howard and his dev team are in dire need to follow the suggestions of this GM. Because if TES 6 is headed the way I fear it is i.e. a poor PC port of a prejudicially biased, pro console design. A potential micro transaction RTS craft/building system (soon to be proved by the Blades mobile game). Monetization by means of invasive progress prohibiting micro transactions/loot boxes. Exclusive mod sourcing via CC. Aaaand.....an optional anorexic online PvP component (soon to be proofed with F76). Then yes, FO4 and Skyrim will be the last Fallout and TES games I'll ever buy from Bethesda

There are so many ways Fallout and similar titles can be expanded and improved that this franchise isn't dead. Such thinking is limited and short-sighted.

I was talking to a friend this morning about the amazing way settlement building connects to players and opens new gaming possibilities undreamt of.

Bethesda needs to get its tech in order and attack the franchise when armed to the teeth, ready, willing and able to produce a quality product. Settlement building is only one example of untapped potential in the title that could be turned into something magical under the right direction.

The franchise has enormous possibility. The tech is what is holding it back. Bethesda needs new art direction, a reset on the way they prioritize QA, and a little less top-down design. But the franchise itself is a monster that has yet to show the world its teeth.

There are so many ways Fallout and similar titles can be expanded and improved that this franchise isn't dead. Such thinking is limited and short-sighted.

I was talking to a friend this morning about the amazing way settlement building connects to players and opens new gaming possibilities undreamt of.

Bethesda needs to get its tech in order and attack the franchise when armed to the teeth, ready, willing and able to produce a quality product. Settlement building is only one example of untapped potential in the title that could be turned into something magical under the right direction.

The franchise has enormous possibility. The tech is what is holding it back. Bethesda needs new art direction, a reset on the way they prioritize QA, and a little less top-down design. But the franchise itself is a monster that has yet to show the world its teeth.

I agree. We want the freedom to create, manage and lead our own creation ( thru settlements ) and this could not be done in an online game. We want to have the freedom to play our game at our own pace, the way we want to ( solo or with followers ), with the weapons of our choice, with the mods or our own choice as well. If Beth breaks that trend, they will loose millions of people playing and enjoying an offline game.

I have no problem if they come up with an online game for all those teens, but they should make an experiment : come up with Fallout76 to be played online and offline ( and allow this latter to be modded ) and check after one year which one produced more money for them and they will find out it was the offline game.

How to make an offline game to produce more money ? Create DLC every 3-6 months and sell each one of them at $29.99 and with each introduction, improve the mechanics, the graphics, the story, etc, etc. and allow them to be modded and you will have millions of people continue playing the same game for years and willing to pay for another expansion DLC that should be improved with mods.

Those teens will grow up and eventually will jump to PC gaming. As I said, do not mind Fallout76 to be online but they should not left behind the offline community that is debatable the one that made Beth to be who they are.