Why Pay To Remove Download Cap Speed?

Rage4556

303 members have voted

1. 1. Add Optional Purchase For Speed Cap Limit?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• 1 year later...

why does it always have to be a monthly fee

why not charge like $10 to permanently remove the speed cap, not everything has to be a subscription service

besides, i already use ad/script blocking tools, not like you can get any less from me, $10 once is more than $0

also, the 1990s speeds just make your site seem slow and makes the owners seem greedy (and annoys users enough to employ ad blockers out of spite) this is in addition to the annoyance caused by the forced signup and (STILL) broken verification link

why does it always have to be a monthly fee

why not charge like $10 to permanently remove the speed cap, not everything has to be a subscription service

besides, i already use ad/script blocking tools, not like you can get any less from me, $10 once is more than $0

also, the 1990s speeds just make your site seem slow and makes the owners seem greedy (and annoys users enough to employ ad blockers out of spite) this is in addition to the annoyance caused by the forced signup and (STILL) broken verification link

There's a ONE TIME LIFETIME fee, mentioned in the two posts just above yours.

$75, pay it once, get ALL the benefits of the $2.99/mo subscription, but Forever.

• 7 months later...

Tl;DR modders should be supported directly and we shouldn't be charged money for things that are technically free.

I'd think they'd be getting enough money from AD revenue to run the site and pay people to run it and fix issues. What with the amount of traffic this site gets, and all.

From my perspective, it seems like someone's trying to make money off free mods (most mods being made out of a desire just to create for something they like or to have fun).

I get that there's a donation pool for the modders and I'd be happy to support THAT, but not pay to have my downloads capped because someone's trying to make a quick buck and sell me features I don't want or need.

I'm here for the game mods. That's it.

I already have a way to view the site ad-free without paying for it. So I don't need that.

I don't get PM's from anyone and the only alerts I get are to endorse the mods I like. So there's that, no need to pay for a bigger inbox.

I think the thing that irks me most is that the cap is only 1 to 2 Mb/s and certain downloads can take hours or DAYS now. I don't know how, but last year I was able to download things MUCH faster but I don't remember why.

There's my two cents about it.

Tl;DR modders should be supported directly and we shouldn't be charged money for things that are technically free.

I'd think they'd be getting enough money from AD revenue to run the site and pay people to run it and fix issues. What with the amount of traffic this site gets, and all.

From my perspective, it seems like someone's trying to make money off free mods (most mods being made out of a desire just to create for something they like or to have fun).

I get that there's a donation pool for the modders and I'd be happy to support THAT, but not pay to have my downloads capped because someone's trying to make a quick buck and sell me features I don't want or need.

I'm here for the game mods. That's it.

I already have a way to view the site ad-free without paying for it. So I don't need that.

I don't get PM's from anyone and the only alerts I get are to endorse the mods I like. So there's that, no need to pay for a bigger inbox.

I think the thing that irks me most is that the cap is only 1 to 2 Mb/s and certain downloads can take hours or DAYS now. I don't know how, but last year I was able to download things MUCH faster but I don't remember why.

There's my two cents about it.

Actually the download speed cap was DOUBLED for non-paying people on the site.

But, if you haven't noticed there's a pandemic going around and a lot of people are in lockdown, or working from home, so there's more people using the internet than before.

There's also around 20,000,000 (Twenty Million users, only of which maybe 200,000 actually Pay for Membership), so the site has to pay for all of that bandwidth somehow.

Those of us who care, and want to keep the site going, pay for a membership, Skyrim mod section has a few BILLION downloads, that's a lot of Bandwidth to finance.

The reason you're experiencing slower downloads speeds is because you're using an Ad Blocker.

Non-paying Members who use Ad Blockers get 1/mb/s download speed

Non-paying members who DON'T use an ad-blocker get 2 mb/s download speed.

I'd think they'd be getting enough money from AD revenue to run the site and pay people to run it and fix issues.

These two concepts contradict each other. On the one hand you say you think ad revenue should cover our overheads while on the other hand you state you use adblockers...

No, ad revenue does not cover the running of the site for the exact reason you've proven here.

"we shouldn't be charged money for things that are technically free."

what are you charged for that is technically free? Are you talking bandwidth and download speed? Cause those are most certainly not free at all. Else nobody is forcing you to pay to get or use mods or mod managers. In fact you can easily use this site without paying a dime.

"Tl;DR modders should be supported directly"

Nexus is supporting the modders directly. They're being offered and excellent platform to upload and maintain mods and the ability to enroll in the DP program to get an advantage based on the content they upload and how popular it is. Unlike users of which very few can or will donate.

Edited by Ethreon

Ever wondered if that 20,000,000 users figure is mainly blown out of proportion by the fact that people are forced to sign up to even download a mod - for no objectively valid reason?

How many of these 20,000,000 users have ever actually done "mentionably" more than only download mods? Such as engaged in forums, left reviews, whatever? Could you provide that info? Would be surprised to see that number be above 10%.

I get it, bragging that your website has 20,000,000 users makes you the cool guy at family reunion. But don't lie to yourself, 19,000,000+ of these are dead accounts created only for downloading that one mod they couldn't find elsewhere. No engagement. No payment. Not even viewed ads.

Be smart, save money by letting people download mods without signing up. Those who want to leave reviews, write in forums, or provide content themselves will sign up anyway.

And 200,000 * $1,75 per month (minimum, average likely higher) seems like a pretty decent chunk of money to run this site. With today's pricing for web services and traffic.

Ever wondered if that 20,000,000 users figure is mainly blown out of proportion by the fact that people are forced to sign up to even download a mod - for no objectively valid reason?

There are plenty of "objectively valid reasons" for requiring membership to download mods. Not least of which is that it ensures our mod author reward system, where we reward mod authors based on unique downloads, is much more accurate so mod authors can trust the system works well. Which it does. Because we require registration. It also ensures we can limit API requests more easily to prevent our systems being overloaded or DOS'd and allows us to cap the bandwidth speeds for non-paying users so that our bandwidth bills don't skyrocket. As such, I think you meant to use "subjectively" rather than "objectively".

I get it, bragging that your website has 20,000,000 users makes you the cool guy at family reunion.

None of the staff did this.

But don't lie to yourself, 19,000,000+ of these are dead accounts created only for downloading that one mod they couldn't find elsewhere. No engagement. No payment. Not even viewed ads.

That stat has come straight from make-believe land.

Be smart, save money by letting people download mods without signing up.

Requiring registration does not cost us any more money. In fact, it actually does what you think not requiring registration does - which is save us money by allowing us to much more easily limit bandwidth by account, prevent bandwidth leechers, easily identify malicious users and prevent DDoS attacks on some of our backend systems.

And 200,000 * $1,75 per month (minimum, average likely higher) seems like a pretty decent chunk of money to run this site. With today's pricing for web services and traffic.

You are responding to HadToRegister, who does not work for Nexus Mods and does not have any figures. He is going off of a post I made a couple of years back where I said only 200,000 users had ever bought Supporter or Premium Membership in the 16 or so years we'd been running at the time. It is not 200,000 recurring memberships each month. If it was then we'd likely have no bandwidth cap at all, no ads and be putting way more into the DP system and there would be mod authors making enough to live off on Nexus Mods. Sadly, that is nowhere near the case.