Whitescreen - Reasons

Tannin42

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it says is exception so I do not know what type.

Whenever I scroll over the tool tip "i" icon next to something in the settings menu with my mouse it causes a white screen crash. I have tried this approximately 5-6 times and have been able to recreate it every time. This is a very consistent and repeatable event and it is also extremely easy for me to cause as just the act of passing over said tool tip icon and holding it for a about 2 seconds will cause this crash.

Other than this I am loving the new setup and layout of the official mod manager and I hope this helps to improve it.

All it says is exception so I do not know what type.

Whenever I scroll over the tool tip "i" icon next to something in the settings menu with my mouse it causes a white screen crash. I have tried this approximately 5-6 times and have been able to recreate it every time. This is a very consistent and repeatable event and it is also extremely easy for me to cause as just the act of passing over said tool tip icon and holding it for a about 2 seconds will cause this crash.

Other than this I am loving the new setup and layout of the official mod manager and I hope this helps to improve it.

When Vortex restarts after the crash, do you get a notification inviting you to report the issue? If so, did you do it?

The i icons aren't tooltips, they are buttons that need to be clicked to have any effect. There is no Vortex code, at all, being executed just from hovering over those icons so I'm fairly confident saying this is not a bug in our code.

So either hovering on those icons isn't actually the trigger causing the crash or you have some obscure external application that hooks into applications and doesn't play nice with chromium.

Can you think of anything? An external application that tries to improve font rendering or accessibility (magnifiers, color contrast, ...) across all windows applications? As the initial post says, a common cause of crashes is also outdated AMD/ATI graphics drivers or optional drive components like HydraVision.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be getting the white screen restart problem, only I will see the ui for an instance and then the ui ias all white, each time I see the ui there is an extra red notification of a restart:) This goes on forever. This is 0.17.1 and at first it was fine, in fact the slow down I had reported on another thread seemed to be gone, I switched from SkySE to FO4 with barely a second before getting a responsive mouse, but when I switched to FONV the plugin spinny did not quickly stop this time, went on for a while and then the white ui thing. I killed Vortex in task manager and restarted, also restarted the machine, so far no change. I can't use Vortex to send feed back obviously:)

Screen shots are here:

the white ui

the brief glimpse of the ui with ever increasing notifications

diziet

edit: the other thing is that just before upgrading to 0.17.1 my win10 did a feature update to 1809, so theres that with my i7-4770, 16GB ram, vortex running off ssd, though FONV is on a d drive.

edit:reuploaded pics

Guest deleted34304850

it looks like your screenshots are the thumbnails themselves rather than the full size image. if you click them they are too small to see clearly.

it looks like your screenshots are the thumbnails themselves rather than the full size image. if you click them they are too small to see clearly.

yup, seems I misunderstood my image manipulation program - which I use about 5 times a year:)

reuploaded now.

So after reading the whole Whitescreen thread, none of the solutions helped?

Just out of curiosity, does disabling any Malware or Antivirus allow Vortex to Run?

Also, are you making sure you're not running Vortex as an Admin?

Is UAC turned on or off on your system (It should be on)

Just out of curiosity, does disabling any Malware or Antivirus allow Vortex to Run?

I just installed a windows update to the .net framework and restarted but no joy, I've discovered that if I'm quick on starting vortex I can switch game to witcher 3m whereupon no apparent problem, well not sure how long to wait before claiming this:) If i then switch to one of the other games - all bethesda, FO4, FO3, SKSE, FONV sometimes things seem ok but eventually on switching to another bethesda game the problem comes back. I did manage to have the ui for long enough to turn autosort off because I don't know if that means an automatic sort on switching to a game and the hotfix was for a LOOT problem yes? It is since then that I sometimes have no white screen in a bethesda game, but as I said switching games (except to witcher3) eventually I get the problem. I also managed to get the setting screen long enough to turn off the theme switching extension it said I had to restart and the issue still reamains.

I have an nvidia card so the amd won't apply

I only have the win10 built in defender for anti-virus, I shall see if I can turn this off and restart vortex.

Definitely not running as admin:) Always used standard accounts in win ever since xp introduced them into the comusmer versions of windows!

Edit: After lots and lots of restarts and fast switching games to witcher3 I have the following, switching to SKSE or FO3 seems to be ok (famous last words!) but as soonas I switch to FO4 or FONV the whiting of the ui happens, being quick to switch back to w3 when the ui briefly appears makes the whiteness go away.

FO4 is installed on the SSD c drive in the normal steam folder, FONV is the gog version and is installed on the d drive in its own folder.

SKSE and FO3 are both installed to a second steamlibrary folder on the d drive.

I just installed a windows update to the .net framework and restarted but no joy, I've discovered that if I'm quick on starting vortex I can switch game to witcher 3m whereupon no apparent problem, well not sure how long to wait before claiming this:) If i then switch to one of the other games - all bethesda, FO4, FO3, SKSE, FONV sometimes things seem ok but eventually on switching to another bethesda game the problem comes back. I did manage to have the ui for long enough to turn autosort off because I don't know if that means an automatic sort on switching to a game and the hotfix was for a LOOT problem yes? It is since then that I sometimes have no white screen in a bethesda game, but as I said switching games (except to witcher3) eventually I get the problem. I also managed to get the setting screen long enough to turn off the theme switching extension it said I had to restart and the issue still reamains.

I have an nvidia card so the amd won't apply

I only have the win10 built in defender for anti-virus, I shall see if I can turn this off and restart vortex.

Definitely not running as admin:) Always used standard accounts in win ever since xp introduced them into the comusmer versions of windows!

Edit: After lots and lots of restarts and fast switching games to witcher3 I have the following, switching to SKSE or FO3 seems to be ok (famous last words!) but as soonas I switch to FO4 or FONV the whiting of the ui happens, being quick to switch back to w3 when the ui briefly appears makes the whiteness go away.

FO4 is installed on the SSD c drive in the normal steam folder, FONV is the gog version and is installed on the d drive in its own folder.

SKSE and FO3 are both installed to a second steamlibrary folder on the d drive.

OK, thanks for that info.

OK, so you have games on your C, D drive and two different steam folders

In order for hardlinks to work in Bethesda Games, the "Mod DeploymentFolder" needs to be on the same drive as the game, same with Symlinks for the Witcher 3

I think because you have the games on two different drives, and Vortex is handling Hardlinks for SOME Bethesda games on Drive D:, then there's ONE Bethesda game on Drive C:

might be the reason Vortex is crashing

OK, thanks for that info.

OK, so you have games on your C, D drive and two different steam folders

In order for hardlinks to work in Bethesda Games, the "Mod DeploymentFolder" needs to be on the same drive as the game, same with Symlinks for the Witcher 3

I think because you have the games on two different drives, and Vortex is handling Hardlinks for SOME Bethesda games on Drive D:, then there's ONE Bethesda game on Drive C:

might be the reason Vortex is crashing

Well each game has its own staging folder specified to be on the same drive as the game is installed. Witcher3 is using hardlinks as are all the other games.

Where are the ini files for vortex that I can check nothing has altered these settings for the games that obviously I can't check in vortex becasue of the ui problem?

I have played and modded all the games in their current locations since I started trying vortex at 0.16.8. 0.17.0 did not have this problem but did have the endless sorting issue so I reverted to 0.16.15 and then when the hotfix came out upped to 0.17.1 when the white ui problem started.