Export a list of mods and/or plugins?

jemacdonald

Well shoot - I swear that use to work.

Current Powershell syntax is "dir -n > mods.txt".

That works today - but no guarantees about tomorrow. This is Windows, after all.

In the Powershell window you can also use 3 commands: (first one puts you in "legacy" mode)

cmd

dir . /b > mods.txt

exit

Edited by rmm200

• 2 weeks later...

I was rather surprised that there wasn't an export/import function, so I tried to make an extension to add one myself. It's very simple and just a first beta version essentially, but you can download it here: Vortex-Modlist-Backup. You download that into a folder in the plugins folder for Vortex (I have it in %AppData%\Vortex\plugins\extension-backup), and then when you go to the Modlist in Vortex there's a Modlist dropdown with a Backup and a Restore button. Backup just creates a json file in the same directory as the plugin and Restore restores that list. Unfortunately you need to be Premium members to restore, but it ottherwise works.

There's some features I still want to make (such as being able to choose where to back the files up to and where to restore them from), but for now it should work for keeping a back up for a large list of mods

I was rather surprised that there wasn't an export/import function, so I tried to make an extension to add one myself. It's very simple and just a first beta version essentially, but you can download it here: Vortex-Modlist-Backup. You download that into a folder in the plugins folder for Vortex (I have it in %AppData%\Vortex\plugins\extension-backup), and then when you go to the Modlist in Vortex there's a Modlist dropdown with a Backup and a Restore button. Backup just creates a json file in the same directory as the plugin and Restore restores that list. Unfortunately you need to be Premium members to restore, but it ottherwise works.

There's some features I still want to make (such as being able to choose where to back the files up to and where to restore them from), but for now it should work for keeping a back up for a large list of mods

I tried it. It tried to create the backup file in the last directory I used (desktop) rather than the %AppData%\Vortex\plugins\extension-backup folder.

• 1 month later...

Nice, will try! In a world that now has Wabbajack, it would be great if Vortex users could share not only their modlists, but their complete installs along with conflict settings and everything. Import someone else's profile config file, make sure you're Nexus Premium and let Vortex handle the entire install.

To me it seems like "killer app" level functionality, sorry for the hackneyed terminology!

Edited by grovermclurg

Plugin list <> Mod list. Plugin lists are easy-peasy, from Loot (with load order and index) or by simply reading plugins.txt. But since many mods don't have plugins, that is not meeting the need.

Like installation date/times, requests for mod lists fall on deaf (or indifferent) ears. I opened a feature request for it on GitHub and Tannin replied "There's an extension for that" and closed the case, making it impossible for me to ask the followup question after installing the extension: "How the hell do you use it?" since there are no obvious entry/activation/launch points for the extension, nor any local file containing a list of mods. So, despite the extension, I'm still not able to generate a mod list out of Vortex.