Does missing masters really matter?

Calebasso
Go to solution Solved by BigBizkit,

Hey guys,

So, I always like to download and install patches for greater, and possibly, future compatibilty, even if I don't have to (Like, downloading Vivid Weather and True Storms compatibility patch, even not having True Storms).

That obviously creates missing masters. Do they really matter? For compatibility patches and such?

Thanks bois. <3

Hey guys,

So, I always like to download and install patches for greater, and possibly, future compatibilty, even if I don't have to (Like, downloading Vivid Weather and True Storms compatibility patch, even not having True Storms).

That obviously creates missing masters. Do they really matter? For compatibility patches and such?

Thanks bois. <3

You can download any mod you like and as long as you don't install them, you won't get the "Missing Master" message.

If you DO Install them, well, I'm not sure why you'd do that.

I have plenty of mods in the Downloads folder that I haven't installed, but downloaded for various reasons, that I may or may not install in the future, but as long as I leave them uninstalled I'll have no problems with them.

• Solution

A missing master means that one of your active plugins in your list is dependent on another plugin, but that plugin is not active in your load order i.e. missing.

The problem with that is that, due to how Bethesda games work, the game will crash before the main menu appears (when plugins are being loaded) just after the Bethesda logo.

In short: yes it does matter.

• 1 year later...

What if the esp names are different? but the master is still enabled? should you rename the esp?

If the plugins names don't match exactly, you have the wrong plugin. Renaming it will probably not help.

It's possible your mod that is requiring another file is out of date an relies on a really old version of something.