How do I update Vortex?

BiggestMan88

I just used automatic update with Vortex to update it to the latest version about 3 days ago which would've been 5/4/2019. I had it updated to the previous version, so I was only updating by one version. Vortex deleted all my profiles, and I had to reinstall all my mods and recreate new profiles. Is there any way to keep updates from deleting profiles and supported games? I gather from here that it shouldn't have deleted the profiles and managed games, but it did.

This could be completely off-base but did you initially download Vortex as a "custom location" install?

I know the automatic update is disabled intentionally in that version as letting Vortex update automatically can cause problems.

Another though would be were you using Vortex in "Shared" mode (Settings > Vortex > Multi-user mode). If that had been changed somehow Vortex wouldn't be able to see your profiles.

This could be completely off-base but did you initially download Vortex as a "custom location" install?

I know the automatic update is disabled intentionally in that version as letting Vortex update automatically can cause problems.

?? I have the custom install version and it automatically updates

In that case I might be mistake but I know early on Vortex would update it's self to the default path rather than your custom path.

In that case I might be mistake but I know early on Vortex would update it's self to the default path rather than your custom path.

No idea, I know my install is pretty weird to begin with, everything seems to be in the Programdata folder instead of the C:\Users\<name>\appdata\ folders

I'm not permitted to upload the log file to the forums for some reason. To make matters more confusing. It appears to delete the logs everyday and start a new set. I only have logs from 5/7 after every single deployment listed. I have 5 vortex logs: vortex.log, vortex1.log, etc... and they are all huge. Every time I added a mod and it redeployed it added to each log every single mod it redeployed, but it didn't keep the log from the update. So I can't help you there. What I can tell you is that I have 2 different fallout4 folders related to Vortex. My mods are installed in C:\Vortex\Fallout4\mods but my profiles are in {%USERDATA%}/{GAME} which places the profiles inside the install directory, and I don't know how to move the profiles outside the install directory.

I successfully moved the mods out, but in doing so it lost all the mods when it tried to do a merge (I made a backup of the mods folder and pasted it there), so I ended up reinstalling again. That's when I took a backup and pasted it into the mods directory again, however, that didn't fix the problem. I still had to reinstall them. That had nothing to do with the update. That was when I discovered a post that told me to move the mods from the default directory inside the install directory outside somewhere.

The update wiped the profiles out of the install directory. It deleted them completely. If I am supposed to move both the mods and the profiles I don't know how to move the profiles. From what you guys are saying it shouldn't be where it is either. I think this whole problem is that I didn't do a custom install; because, I assumed the developers knew the best place to put the directories and would put them in the best default locations. I did a default install which placed both the mods and the profiles in the install directory and made fixing it a very confusing process.

I'm not permitted to upload the log file to the forums for some reason. To make matters more confusing. It appears to delete the logs everyday and start a new set. I only have logs from 5/7 after every single deployment listed. I have 5 vortex logs: vortex.log, vortex1.log, etc... and they are all huge. Every time I added a mod and it redeployed it added to each log every single mod it redeployed, but it didn't keep the log from the update. So I can't help you there. What I can tell you is that I have 2 different fallout4 folders related to Vortex. My mods are installed in C:\Vortex\Fallout4\mods but my profiles are in {%USERDATA%}/{GAME} which places the profiles inside the install directory, and I don't know how to move the profiles outside the install directory.

I successfully moved the mods out, but in doing so it lost all the mods when it tried to do a merge (I made a backup of the mods folder and pasted it there), so I ended up reinstalling again. That's when I took a backup and pasted it into the mods directory again, however, that didn't fix the problem. I still had to reinstall them. That had nothing to do with the update. That was when I discovered a post that told me to move the mods from the default directory inside the install directory outside somewhere.

The update wiped the profiles out of the install directory. It deleted them completely. If I am supposed to move both the mods and the profiles I don't know how to move the profiles. From what you guys are saying it shouldn't be where it is either. I think this whole problem is that I didn't do a custom install; because, I assumed the developers knew the best place to put the directories and would put them in the best default locations. I did a default install which placed both the mods and the profiles in the install directory and made fixing it a very confusing process.

Default install doesn't place the mods and profiles INSIDE the install directory, there's even a sticky telling people not to do that.

At what point during the install does it ask you where to install the mods and profiles? I don't recall it ever asking me any such question. I'm not making this up. I took default options during the install and that's where my mods and profiles ended up. I had nothing to do with it unless it asks you where to put them during the install. If it does there's no notice given during the install as to where to put them. All I did was click Yes to the default options. The install made suggested locations and I accepted it's suggestions. Why? I didn't know any better or it defaults to the install directory.

I can't even find a setting under (logically SETTINGS) where you can move the profiles directory outside the install directory. If I have no control over where the profiles end up how is this my fault? I do have a MultiUser installation that is not Custom. No I didn't read a bunch of stuff before installing Vortex because in general installs of software are all the same. I believed the install of Vortex would be no different. Generally if you want to be safe you don't change default options, or you risk mistakes. From what I'm reading the majority of people are doing Custom installs in order to put their mods (and profiles I presume) where they want them. I didn't do a Custom install because I figured the installer knew the best place to put things.

At what point during the install does it ask you where to install the mods and profiles? I don't recall it ever asking me any such question. I'm not making this up. I took default options during the install and that's where my mods and profiles ended up. I had nothing to do with it unless it asks you where to put them during the install. If it does there's no notice given during the install as to where to put them. All I did was click Yes to the default options. The install made suggested locations and I accepted it's suggestions. Why? I didn't know any better or it defaults to the install directory.

I can't even find a setting under (logically SETTINGS) where you can move the profiles directory outside the install directory. If I have no control over where the profiles end up how is this my fault? I do have a MultiUser installation that is not Custom. No I didn't read a bunch of stuff before installing Vortex because in general installs of software are all the same. I believed the install of Vortex would be no different. Generally if you want to be safe you don't change default options, or you risk mistakes. From what I'm reading the majority of people are doing Custom installs in order to put their mods (and profiles I presume) where they want them. I didn't do a Custom install because I figured the installer knew the best place to put things.

Profiles aren't put in the install directory, so there's no way they could've gotten wiped out.

I assumed you put them in the install directory because you said

The update wiped the profiles out of the install directory. It deleted them completely.

The Custom installer allows you to put the Mod Staging Folder and Download directory where you like.

However, neither the Custom installer, nor the Default installer puts profiles inside the Install directory.

"Profiles" are kept in each of the GAME directories where the Save Games are kept

@DigitalTemererity

Since you used default settings, you may want to check {USER}/AppData/Roaming/Vortex/{GAME} to see if there are any profiles there. For a default installation, that's where Vortex stores profiles. Also, when you reinstall Vortex (which is what happens when you update), Vortex does not touch the AppData folder but leaves it intact

Edited by Augusta Calidia

I'm assuming you mean %USER%\My Documents\My Games\Fallout4. I just looked. There no profiles folder there. Only the various profile directories and under them are any saved games for that profile because I told it I wanted separate save game directories. The actual profiles (where it has recorded the mods that are there and activated) is in the install directory under a directory called %USERDATA%\Vortex\fallout4 containing the following files under a profile name like Btnrke391, so the full directory path is %USERDATA%\Vortex\fallout4\profiles\Btnrke391, and the files in it are Fallout4.ini, Fallout4Prefs.ini, loadorder.txt, plugins.txt. There are also 3 other profiles which I have created for Fallout 4. I have backed up my profiles directory in another directory and am going to go through the Custom install process knowing it will delete that fallout4/profiles folder when I reinstall, and that I will probably be stuck reinstalling all my mods. I'm hoping it creates the profiles directory somewhere else. I don't care where. Anywhere but there is fine. If the installer puts it in the install directory again I will get back to you. By the way, I looked at the installer page on Nexus and it specifically warns only use Custom install if you know what you are doing. I know what directories I want things to end up in, so I think I know enough, but I'm not making any promises.