From Modder to Professional Level Designer - Interview and AMA

BigBizkit

In response to post #68771296.

SlyWolfe wrote: Great read, thanks. If I may -

What other pastimes/hobbies do you have?

What did you study in school?

What did you do for a living before you got into modding and level design?

What was it that actively got you into modding in the first place?

Is there any advice/guidance that you were given or a particular experience you had that you deem especially valuable?

Thank you very much! I will try and answer your questions as best I can...

Hobbies - I like cooking. Anything that involves building something. And board games. Lots of board games.

School - I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I found it a bit dull, so I never persued a career in it (although I really enjoyed the design and building elements of Engineering).

Previous Job - I worked in marketing for 5 years before becoming a full-time Game Designer. It was videogame marketing though... when I left university it was the only job in the industry I could get, and it was kinda fun, so I stuck at it for a while.

What got me in - that is a tough one... I think I have always loved three things: making stuff, videogames, and entertaining. When the tools to mod games came along it was something I just naturally started doing. Doom was the first game I modded properly - it was amazing for me to pull back the curtain of such a visceral experience and see the smoke and mirrors that made it happen... I was hooked!

Advice/experince - make something different and release it. As I touch on in the interview, it's important to stand out, so make something interesting... and it's important to close, so be sure to release it! Plus you will find out pretty quickly from user feedback if you are doing good work or if there are areas you need to improve on. My experience releaseing Act I of Scourge of The Lich Father was basically what kick-started my gaming career. I saw that people were enjoying my work and it had a drug-like, addictive quality: I had to make more, so people could enjoy more!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the highlight of your career? (so far)

Is there any job, or specific segment of a project you're really proud of?

Assuming you have the free time, what games have you been playing recently?

Any upcoming video games you're looking forward to?

What's your all time favorite video game?

Thanks for even accepting community questions! Sorry for... Uh... Taking advantage. Wish you all the best!

Edited by MrMedicinal

In response to post #68775056. #68792066 is also a reply to the same post.

ArtaiosGreybark wrote: Will you convert your Skyrim mod to SE?
dt1000 wrote: What needs to be done to make this happen? I would have thought the files would have been cross-compatible. Is this not the case?

Not quite. Some things do not need conversion (i.e. scripts, textures, audio, etc.) and work out of the box but things like esps, bsas, certain meshes, and animations definitely need to be converted for SSE in order to work due to the new 64bit architecture. Here's some info on that topic in case you're interested: post by Arthmoor on the topic Reddit page on the topic
Peeking at "Iomaungandr Rising," it seems that the work to convert to SE is actually pretty minimal. The major things that need to be done will be to resave the esp in the SE CK, to repack the bsa for SE, and (probably) run the new meshes in your mod through the SE Nif Optimizer. Pretty easy to do and in theory, most users could probably do it themselves if they wanted to.
Some users though may want an "official" conversion to SE. If you're too busy to do that, you could give permission for someone else to do it for you or just let users do it themselves. Either way, it's your mod and your call on that.

In response to post #68793801.

MrMedicinal wrote: What's the highlight of your career? (so far)

Is there any job, or specific segment of a project you're really proud of?

Assuming you have the free time, what games have you been playing recently?

Any upcoming video games you're looking forward to?

What's your all time favorite video game?

Thanks for even accepting community questions! Sorry for... Uh... Taking advantage. Wish you all the best!

No worries - I am always happy to answer questions.

Career Highlight - my submarine-exploding Medal of Honor level getting a shout out on Venture Brothers.

And also being the top hit for "Level Design" on youtube! That was pretty surreal.

Something I am really proud of - the Neural Subnet sequence in Deus Ex Mankind Divided - System Rift... watching streamers play it, and seeing the look on their faces when they work out the final twist at the end is totally priceless! Also setting up the subversive direction for the crypts in Shadow of The Tomb Raider - I was lucky enough to have a team who really knocked it out of the park there.

What have I been playing - Subnautica. It's amazing!!! The perfect mix of relaxing wonder and nail-biting terror!

What am I looking forward to - Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2. And System Shock 3!

What is my all-time favourite game - Rez. Followed closely by Bomb Jack, and then Super Cars II.

:D

I like your Level Design skills and what you bring in to the games and mods you do. I have dabbled in LD myself (at an appalling amateur level!) and find your work and your GDC video talk very inspiring.

Just one question: do you think you will find time to do a Fallout 4 mod in the future?

Thanks for taking the time for the AMA!

In response to post #68817146.

Radsweeper wrote: I like your Level Design skills and what you bring in to the games and mods you do. I have dabbled in LD myself (at an appalling amateur level!) and find your work and your GDC video talk very inspiring.

Just one question: do you think you will find time to do a Fallout 4 mod in the future?

Thanks for taking the time for the AMA!

Thanks! :D
I doub't I will have time to do a Fallout 4 mod. I am super busy at the moment. And I still haven't finished the game yet! :(
Why not do one yourself?