Who else pre-Ordered VtM: Bloodlines 2?

DarkAnsem

I'm all for competition for Steam but I don't support Epic due to the issues it has so far and their scumy exclusives nonsense.

I have to say I agree but is there realistically any other way for them to compete? Steam is so massively entrenched that any newcomer has to do anything it can to get on the radar.

I'm all for competition for Steam but I don't support Epic due to the issues it has so far and their scumy exclusives nonsense.

I have to say I agree but is there realistically any other way for them to compete? Steam is so massively entrenched that any newcomer has to do anything it can to get on the radar.

Epic claimed they would be competitive, by having a better 'cut' of the money going into the developers pockets, so the developers would naturally flock to Epic in order to get more money per purchase for their games because Epic takes less of a cut.

Too bad we're not getting to see if that's effective or not because so far all they've done is made exclusive deals with game developers and removed any and all competition.

Yes there is. Look at GoG they are doing well and technically are competing with Steam. Really I understand if Epic was only keeping their own games on their store as a one year exclusive. It makes sense and can get traffic coming in. Though I still don't like it I can at least say it's fair. Ways they can compete though would be:

-A better launcher with decent UI then Steam

-an in game overlay that doesn't cause games to crash even though it isn't used.

-the ability to be invisible but still play games with friends online without chNging the settings.

-proper handing of mods and having a level of moderation so that people will stop stealing mods

-customer support

-staggered sales thst preferably don't land on the same days as Steams

-a less intrusive launcher in general

-a launcher that lets you customize it more

Just to list a few small things

I think that means they won the competition of who gets to put a game in their launcher

I think you need to look up the word "Competition", because what Epic is doing is in no way "Competitive"

They didn't "WIN" anything, they "BOUGHT" their Victory.

Are you even following the stories about this?

They didn't even try...

But I can understand where is this coming from.

Look at Outward, the only company (which is small and could need a lot of money) with newly released game I know about who doesn't have exclusive deal and is on the both launchers - it may looks like those bad Steam reviews didn't notice it when they were criticize them for things which aren't really in their control and were not able to find anything good, or sometimes even relative to the game itself, so it may looks like it doesn't matter, but they have growing group of fans, who trust them. So you can say - why I should care about Steam users if I can have money for exclusives?

Another example is Ubisoft - according to youtubers it looked like everyone hates them, but in the meantime their fanbase was growing based on how Ubisoft treated their games and gamers playing them, and now those youtubers were caught by surprise they are alone in it.

On the other hand I still remember ESO - how much that game was hated when it was first released and how much their fans were trying to defend them, but not successfully. But then it changed - after adding lootboxes it looks like they hired some PR company, (maybe after 500 players signed they don't want lootboxes in the game, and even old subscribers, who supported them since beginning complained that they supported them for the promise of high quality without microtransactions) and they didn't care, I guess they made sure there will be no backlash. On the other hand they still maintain quality. And that PR company did all the job making lootboxes popular everywhere.

Now there are youtubers saying lies about ESO, how it is free to play, no microtransactions, while there is quite annoying pile. That is where Zenimax learned nobody cares... You can do whatever, then just make PR campaign with highlights about what good the company did, and after gathering what the opposition says, bring the opposite decisions or contra arguments and you win no matter what you do. That is why I was surprised when everyone was saying that Todd is behind everything...

AA games have harder position on the market - small games have ideas, AAA games have quality and engines, AA have fans willing to forgive them not being perfect exchanged for fandom. If they will have Epic exclusives, they will loose that and they will need that AAA quality or they can have bad reviews and worse sales. Also people do like them because they are not like corporations if they will have Epic exclusives, showing it is the money they care about more, they are not better than corporations are they?

Edited by Mudran