Muskets DO fit in Skyrim!!!

darkofan

i already think they underpowered the katana's (samurai swords) those things are able to slice medieval metal armor in real life!

You've been watching too much anime. A katana is an outdated sword, whereas a kilij or a simple axe is much more effective on foot. Katanas are romanticized perhaps more than any other blade, and they are works of art, but they were outdated as practical weapons by the fifteenth century.

Yes, katanas are sharp, but sharpness isn't the issue. Anything can be sharp. However, puncturing force is a ratio of impact surface area, to momentum, to velocity and can be modeled with even simple physics equations. Swords have a very long surface area, and regardless of velocity, katanas have very little momentum. Swords are romanticized, but the only good swords were the ones carried by soldiers on horseback. In fact, the only reason a sword exists is because the long blade can "mow" hostiles down when dragged behind a horse. To anyone on foot, a spear is best, followed by a hand axe, followed by a kilij or similar forward-weighted blade. A sword is nearly useless as a weapon to a foot-soldier or assassin, whereas a katar is perhaps even better than a dagger for an assassin.

Funny you should say that....My Dovahkin Duel Wields and I always thought him swinging those long blades around just doesn't look right, looked weird....it bugged me....The mod 'Jaysus Swords' took care of that issue for me....my Dovahkin now uses half length/size small swords...a little longer than an Ebony Dagger, but not by much.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, in such a magically-saturated reality most cultures would have no real need for technology to advance as fast as it has done in the real world. the Dwemer are a big exception, since their near abandonment of magicka and gods was because of their cultural beliefs, whereas most, if not all "people" in Tamriel believe in magicka, Daedra and Aedra. Unlike the real world, however, these elements actually have physical power, they can be used in place of advanced technology. And they don't need to be smart to use some of it either, anyone can swing an enchanted sword and set someone alight. :3

Alright in that case, I take back what I said.

But I'll put my 5 cents in, the addition of muskets really would make the gameplay more interesting.

Imagine if every single guard had a gun, and you (the player) only had armor, a sword, and a shield. Can you imagine how much harder the game would be than? :3

As far as I am aware, didn't Crossbows actually pack more punch than flintlocks?

Will pass on the guns myself...I don't like using magic either, but love Bows and Crossbows.... wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors to get them in your game Darkofan.

Edit: Hang on, I think I have seen a gun mod for Skyrim....will be back with the link if I can find it.

2nd Edit: Found it, is this the kind of thing your looking for?:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8533

thanks for the link but I already downloaded that mod... It's just a pistol witch is nice but I want a rifle...

But I'll put my 5 cents in, the addition of muskets really would make the gameplay more interesting.

Imagine if every single guard had a gun, and you (the player) only had armor, a sword, and a shield. Can you imagine how much harder the game would be than? :3

As far as I am aware, didn't Crossbows actually pack more punch than flintlocks?

Will pass on the guns myself...I don't like using magic either, but love Bows and Crossbows.... wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors to get them in your game Darkofan.

Edit: Hang on, I think I have seen a gun mod for Skyrim....will be back with the link if I can find it.

thanks for the link but I already downloaded that mod... It's just a pistol witch is nice but I want a rifle...

Well i offer you,

If Someone builds me a mesh, then i will Texture it and load it into game for you, anyone that helps with the creation of the mod will be credited

Well i offer you,

If Someone builds me a mesh, then i will Texture it and load it into game for you, anyone that helps with the creation of the mod will be credited

will you also hook up the crosbow animations for the model if i or someone else makes it? and would you make it a stand alone, or a crossbow replacer, or have to separate download options? I would Like it to be a replacer, but I know some people wouldn't so... Anyway I only know alittle about 3D modeling so It'll prolly take me a while to make this so if anyone else thinks they can do it PLEASE do so...thanks!!! and super thanks for your offer to help BladerRavinger92! :)

Edited by darkofan

The way I see it, in such a magically-saturated reality most cultures would have no real need for technology to advance as fast as it has done in the real world. the Dwemer are a big exception, since their near abandonment of magicka and gods was because of their cultural beliefs, whereas most, if not all "people" in Tamriel believe in magicka, Daedra and Aedra. Unlike the real world, however, these elements actually have physical power, they can be used in place of advanced technology. And they don't need to be smart to use some of it either, anyone can swing an enchanted sword and set someone alight. :3

So... Guns like a musket would fit Elder Scrolls if they are Dwemer-made.

It'd contradict their lore entirely. If they had guns, don't you think they would've mounted their spheres with muskets, and not crossbows?

It'd contradict their lore entirely. If they had guns, don't you think they would've mounted their spheres with muskets, and not crossbows?

not necessarily, crossbows would be much easier to load automatically on an automaton than a musket would be with the black powder, ball, and wedge... so there goes that argument and besides the muskets don't have to be invented by the dwarves...

With all the mages, and alchmists in skyrim and all of tamriel I'm sure someone would have found a mixture of chemicals or other ingredients that explode in a way similar to black powder and then I'm sure someone else would put that to a simple practical use such as pushing a little metal ball out of a thin metal barrel that you can carry... it's really not that complicated seriously,

I made a simple gun powder gun in my back yard I'm pretty sure that all the alchemsits and blacksmiths in skyrim can make a simple musket type firearm,... c'mon!

not necessarily, crossbows would be much easier to load automatically on an automaton than a musket would be with the black powder, ball, and wedge... so there goes that argument and besides the muskets don't have to be invented by the dwarves...

Considering just how advanced the Dwemer are? I'm sure they're capable of making reloadable muskets, whether it was based off black power, ball, and wedge or not.

With all the mages, and alchmists in skyrim and all of tamriel I'm sure someone would have found a mixture of chemicals or other ingredients that explode in a way similar to black powder and then I'm sure someone else would put that to a simple practical use such as pushing a little metal ball out of a thin metal barrel that you can carry... it's really not that complicated seriously,

I made a simple gun powder gun in my back yard I'm pretty sure that all the alchemsits and blacksmiths in skyrim can make a simple musket type firearm,... c'mon!

Easy for you, perhaps, but you likely had prior knowledge of it. Invent something new and tell us how easy it was for you to come up with it. Then we'll talk.

And even if they could invent, why? They're capable of tossing out flaming explosions/ice spikes/ice storms/lightning bolts from their palms, why would they research a simple ball exploding out of a metal tube extensively when they have more fantastic and devastating spells on hand?

If you want it in a mod, fine, but it doesn't make any sense when you consider just how powerful magic is in comparison.