Load order sorting is terrible

Skrag01

This is by no means a bad mod manager, sure a bit rough around the edges with UI, but I like it overall. But Dear God, the load order sorting system is HORRIBLE. It needs to go back to the manual movement of NMM but with the sorting function in place, it is very hard to sort a load order manually with Vortex.

Absolutely agree with this. I’m flabbergasted that they have taken away the intuitive features of NMM’s load order sorting (move mods up for earlier loading, move them down for later loading). It’s like we’ve warped back 30 or 40 years before drag and drop became widespread.

The thing is, there are hundreds of mods we have to sort manually for one reason or another, plus, sometimes the rules we set can’t even be applied (for reasons I can’t even begin to work out), so manual sorting is a feature that we SORELY need.

As 1ae0bfb8 has already requested, name one such mod. I'm not denying that there may be such a mod, but I'm highly skeptical. Exactly what unique feature does drag and drop bring to plugin load order that Vortex does not have? Is there some magic ingredient in drag and drop that's lacking in the Vortex approach to plugin order? If so, what is that magic ingredient that allows drag and drop alone to deal with issues allegedly beyond the reach of Vortex?

That ingredient can't be "manually dragging and dropping" because that answer begs the question at issue. Nor can it be drag and drop's vaunted "intuitive features." Those features are not actual mechanisms effecting change. They are simply subjective perceptions about a certain load ordering technique. What, then, is the magic ingredient?

In the year I've been on this forum I've not yet seen an example of a mod that only drag and drop can handle but Vortex cannot. Also, I've been using Vortex for over a year to manage Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout NV, Skyrim SE, and Enderal with hundreds of mods involved. I've yet to encounter a situation where drag and drop plugin load ordering was needed to resolve a difficult load order issue. Setting a rule and/or making a group assignment has solved every one of my infrequent plugin load order problems.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by no means a bad mod manager, sure a bit rough around the edges with UI, but I like it overall. But Dear God, the load order sorting system is HORRIBLE. It needs to go back to the manual movement of NMM but with the sorting function in place, it is very hard to sort a load order manually with Vortex.

Absolutely agree with this. I’m flabbergasted that they have taken away the intuitive features of NMM’s load order sorting (move mods up for earlier loading, move them down for later loading). It’s like we’ve warped back 30 or 40 years before drag and drop became widespread.

The thing is, there are hundreds of mods we have to sort manually for one reason or another, plus, sometimes the rules we set can’t even be applied (for reasons I can’t even begin to work out), so manual sorting is a feature that we SORELY need.

Mmmm, memories, the good old Manual Load Order Sorting of 1979, back in the days of the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision.

Good times.

Could I see a list of these "Hundreds of Mods"?

Who is this "WE" you speak of?

1. Small or personal mods that may not have glaring incompatibilities or dependencies that are caught by LOOT/Vortex, but need a specific load order to work well. I have at least 8 of these, and I am only one out of millions of Nexusmods users.

2. Usage preference is obviously a subjective matter. Some people might love spending hours customising load order rules; most, as I can see from the number of threads here and on other sites, do not.

3. Feel free to defend your preferred product, but you’re not doing the developers any favours by trolling legitimate users when they voice their dissatisfaction about it.

1. Small or personal mods that may not have glaring incompatibilities or dependencies that are caught by LOOT/Vortex, but need a specific load order to work well. I have at least 8 of these, and I am only one out of millions of Nexusmods users.

2. Usage preference is obviously a subjective matter. Some people might love spending hours customising load order rules; most, as I can see from the number of threads here and on other sites, do not.

3. Feel free to defend your preferred product, but you’re not doing the developers any favours by trolling legitimate users when they voice their dissatisfaction about it.

Making rules for 8 mods takes tops 8 minutes.

Just put it in a proper Mod Group... if that is noth enough make a rule between mods in the group. A bit more advanced and normally not needed... make your own Mod Group and wher to put it.

In most cases you only need rule between two mods... than just drag between Dependency icon... takes just a few seconds to do.

There are at least five other good mod managers out there to use if not wanting Vortex. Wrye Bash, MO1, MO2, NMM, Skyrim SE Mod Manager.

But what do i know having a smooth running game with no ctd and 254 active plugins and only 5 individual rules and 3 Group assigns needed.

1. Are you saying that only drag and drop can deal with these load order issues? If so, what inherent property is it in drag and drop ordering that allows this method to succeed while Vortex fails? Please provide an example of one of these "small or personal mods" that Vortex is incapable of dealing with. Otherwise, in the absence of any proof, I remain skeptical about your claims. I too have a number of small or personal mods in my games, and Vortex has no trouble with them.

2. People who "love spending hours customising load order rules" won't like Vortex. Vortex was designed to minimize the time spent dealing with load order so as to allow more time for intelligent, rule-based decisions about install order, which is not the same as load order. Even so, making install order (file conflict) rules requires little time. My most heavily modded game (215 mods) required no more than ten minutes to adjust both load order and install order.

3. You're not doing the Vortex developers any favors by making unsubstantiated claims about Vortex inadequacies. Please provide concrete examples that others can use to test these claims.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

For plugins, you click on MANAGE RULES, put the name of the plugin in the left hand box, that you want to overwrite the plugin in the right hand box, hit APPLY, then hit SORT, you're done.

SERIOUSLY, it's that simple, I have a bunch of custom mods in my load order, (mainly weightless and/or sorting mods) since I know they need to go low in the load order, I simply assign them to DYNAMIC PATCHES group, and boom, they get put at the bottom of the load order and I'm done.

Probably takes 15 - 30 seconds tops.

You'd find out how east it was if you would just read KNOWLEDGE BASE------------> MANAGING YOUR LOAD ORDER

People aren't trolling you, it's that you're complaining about something that you think is difficult to do, while apparently not knowing how to do it properly, or you haven't taken the time to learn how to do it, because if you did, you'd know how easy it actually is.

Also, please stop acting as if you're representing 'millions' of people, that's called "Argumentum ad Populum"

If millions of people were having the same difficulty as you, there would be a million threads about it.

You're ONE out of a million, because people who don't have problems with Vortex, don't come here and post, only the ones who have problems or refuse to learn Vortex do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, Just popping back to say I did reinstall Vortex and got it to work. It took a while to figure it out but it worked for me. Then I installed MO2 to see the difference and MO2 is probably easier to sort with, so I would suggest that if you want to constantly add and delete mods and change your load order then MO2 is your manager. If you have a stable and large list I would stick with Vortex.