Load order sorting is terrible

Skrag01

Saying that rule-based load ordering is more work than drag&drop ordering is like having a self-driving car and then complain that moving a steering wheel was much simpler than programming every single turn for the AI to take.

Yeah, no sh*t, you're supposed to tell the AI where to take you and have it figure out the best way, not force the route you would have taken.

If your goal is not to get to a destination but you enjoy the act of driving, well, yes, a self-driving car is not for you. But don't tell people who just want their car to get them to the goal quickly with as little as possible effort that they aren't "good at driving, you have to fiddle around with a steering wheel to be a pro". Especially when they regularly get to their goal quicker and more relaxed.

You enjoy the minigame of dragging things around in a list for no bloody reason, sure, you do you. Who's to say you shouldn't enjoy that? But wasting your time doesn't make you a good modder.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going to state that, for some games, I like Vortex's rule based load ordering over manual. The reason being, is that you can dump mods into Vortex, install them, and let Vortex really tell you how they should be ordered. Also, it will tell you what mods are redundant, and therefore unnecessary to play your game. Rules are fairly simple and easy to follow. It makes modding a game fairly easily. And it will let you know if you have a problem with a mod, a mod needs to be updated. etc. It does a lot for you. All you have to do is make sure to follow a few suggestions, and you can be off and running very easy.

• 3 months later...

Ruled based load ordering is OK, but in my "opinion", drag and drop is easier.

Loot telling me that something is wrong (like redundancy or a patch available) is good, but has nothing to do with load order.

Can someone please tell me why you have only "load after" and not an option of "load before" in rules?

I think the problem with vortex's ruled base load order is this, I have mod A,B,C and I want them to load after D and loot does that so I go on and have mod F and G, and G has to Load After F and it doesn't so I have to make a rule (trying to find mod F and G in the list for the rules when there not in alphabetical order, or in load order, is hard to find in rules) so you make a rule, Then you look in your load order and notice that D is loading after A,B,C! Know A,B,C,D mods are from the same downloaded mod (basically A,B, and C are options of D) and granted A,B,C do not use D as a master so can technically be loaded before or after D, I would prefer A,B,C, to load after D. So then I have to make a rule called a group. Then Rules within the group. Then when that is done I notice other changes and so on. know why did my load order change so much with one rule? and why did I have to do so many rules just for one mod to be placed where "I" wanted it? that is why its harder to arrange your load order with a rule based load order.

Now granted once you have made your rules your good to go, (a lot more work then drag and drop) until you add another mod.

I got to say that this is my opinion, because it doesn't mater where A,B,C,and D is loaded, But when I'm diagnosing a problem with a mod, I want the load order to stay the same when I change the location of that mod in the load order and not have to make more rules to do that.