Donation Points Stats and No Ads for Mod Authors

BigBizkit

Wow, you've understood nothing I've written. I must be explaining myself poorly.

Dictionary definitions are irrelevant to this discussion precisely common language and interpretation of it is different than dictionaries. What matters when the Nexus says "Ad-free" is (A): What the nexus means by that and (B): what most people interpret from it. As said, what a dictionary says about it is irrelevant. (A) matters because that's what you are going to get and (B) matters because if it doesnt match (A) then the Nexus should change how they are communicating to clarify it for most people.

The thing is, your understanding of language is not the common understanding as far as I can tell. I'm fairly sure a majority of people understand "Ad" to be the same the thing that the Nexus meant, third party advertisement and it obviously doesnt include them trying to get you to buy their premium membership or use their mod managers or the mods themselves, even if by the strict definition of a dictionary it would include all those.

Apparently only a few, you included, supposedly understood "Ad" to include the premium membership annoying window because it bothers you. And then you here are trying to support it applying definitions when its convenient.

Wow, you've understood nothing I've written. I must be explaining myself poorly.

Dictionary definitions are irrelevant to this discussion precisely common language and interpretation of it is different than dictionaries. What matters when the Nexus says "Ad-free" is (A): What the nexus means by that and (B): what most people interpret from it. As said, what a dictionary says about it is irrelevant. (A) matters because that's what you are going to get and (B) matters because if it doesnt match (A) then the Nexus should change how they are communicating to clarify it for most people.

The thing is, your understanding of language is not the common understanding as far as I can tell. I'm fairly sure a majority of people understand "Ad" to be the same the thing that the Nexus meant, third party advertisement and it obviously doesnt include them trying to get you to buy their premium membership or use their mod managers or the mods themselves, even if by the strict definition of a dictionary it would include all those.

Apparently only a few, you included, supposedly understood "Ad" to include the premium membership annoying window because it bothers you. And then you here are trying to support it applying definitions when its convenient.

Thank You @ FrankFamily

I agree with the point highlighted in green in FrankFamily's comment above.

Some of us would no doubt have formed our interpretation of "ad-free" or "no-ads" to mean "no third-party banner ads" from these posts by Dark0ne here and here.

The problem is, not every one on Nexus will be aware of, or has read, those posts, but many dedicated long-time mod authors or users such as myself (and perhaps Frank Family?) will have subconsciously acquired such an understanding over time.

From a legal and fair trading point of view, however, it is not good form to refrain from clearly defining "ad-free" on the Supporter Membership sales page, they really need to revise their definition so that there is no ambiguity or confusion.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man y'all must really love this new premium advert/interruption. Y'all ought to apply for staff member status or join the marketing and pr team. Y'all must of seen that ad for the first time and been like, "man, what a great addition to the nexus experience this is, never have I seen such a glorious wonder. Surely I will champion this for all the days to come".

Stuff the dictionary definition, people paying for supporter status shouldn't have that forced down their throat. That is such poor form. At the very least it should be made much less aggressive for the supporters.

• 1 month later...
In response to post #75828978.

SMB92 wrote: Man y'all must really love this new premium advert/interruption. Y'all ought to apply for staff member status or join the marketing and pr team. Y'all must of seen that ad for the first time and been like, "man, what a great addition to the nexus experience this is, never have I seen such a glorious wonder. Surely I will champion this for all the days to come".

Stuff the dictionary definition, people paying for supporter status shouldn't have that forced down their throat. That is such poor form. At the very least it should be made much less aggressive for the supporters.

it's not a big deal?

like they are giving us free money...to buy better PCs and such...i just got a new gpu thanks to those points system they set up.

This effectively means that if you have released at least one mod with 1,000 unique downloads or more, or several mods that have been downloaded 1,000 times in total, you will no longer be seeing ads on the site. >> this i find it a bit too little as requirement...but i am not the site owner...no idea how much money they make...but if they can survive like this ok...

In response to post #74284523. #74337103 is also a reply to the same post.

Morghean wrote: So how does this goes, do I have to send a message, that I reached the unique downloads limit, or wait till senpai notices me...? :D
Zaldiir wrote: It happens automatically.

But last I checked it was per game, so you have to have 1,000 downloads for mods on one game, but across all games.

I think I've reached it with FO4 (715+430)... yet I keep seeing ads...

In response to post #75803043.

1ae0bfb8 wrote:
They are not PSAs, they are blatant ads. I'd never use Vortex because of it, and if I ever had, I'd find some cracked version on-line that doesn't have them (or maybe you'd just have to block some hosts or w/e). Do not guilt-trip us into buying something we don't need, guys.

A "cracked" version of Vortex, which is 100% open source? Could you elaborate on that particular snippet of absolute gubbins please, and clarify whatever point you're trying to make here?

Didn't know if it's open source, since it is, I suppose a "fork" is more accurate. It's not "absolute gibbins", it is essential idea behind modding: if something is broken, someone fixes it. And since now you clarified it's open source, now it's even easier. Edited by piotrmil

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
In response to post #74284523. #74337103, #76959238 are all replies on the same post.

Morghean wrote: So how does this goes, do I have to send a message, that I reached the unique downloads limit, or wait till senpai notices me...? :D

But last I checked it was per game, so you have to have 1,000 downloads for mods on one game, but across all games.
Morghean wrote: I think I've reached it with FO4 (715+430)... yet I keep seeing ads...

Same here. My (only) mod hast 2091 unique downloads and 3645 total downloads but I still have ads.

In response to post #75828978. #76889328 is also a reply to the same post.

SMB92 wrote: Man y'all must really love this new premium advert/interruption. Y'all ought to apply for staff member status or join the marketing and pr team. Y'all must of seen that ad for the first time and been like, "man, what a great addition to the nexus experience this is, never have I seen such a glorious wonder. Surely I will champion this for all the days to come".

zzjay wrote: it's not a big deal?

like they are giving us free money...to buy better PCs and such...i just got a new gpu thanks to those points system they set up.

This effectively means that if you have released at least one mod with 1,000 unique downloads or more, or several mods that have been downloaded 1,000 times in total, you will no longer be seeing ads on the site. >> this i find it a bit too little as requirement...but i am not the site owner...no idea how much money they make...but if they can survive like this ok...

>must of

Just no.

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #74284523. #74337103, #76959238, #79022128 are all replies on the same post.

Morghean wrote: I think I've reached it with FO4 (715+430)... yet I keep seeing ads...
karlarsch1913 wrote: Same here. My (only) mod hast 2091 unique downloads and 3645 total downloads but I still have ads.

not gonna wait for you guys anymore... all hail the ad-block plugins...