Template/scaffolding CLI for creating new extensions

agc93

Whether you're wanting to get started with developing Vortex extensions or you just want to speed up the process of creating new Vortex extensions, you might be interested in my new package: create-vortex-extension.

You don't actually need to install anything to use it. Assuming you have a recent version of npm installed, just run npm init vortex-extension and it will be automatically downloaded. Just answer the questions and everything you need to get started with an extension (ready-to-run!) will be created in the current directory.

If you really want to install it, just run npm install -g create-vortex-extension, then run create-vortex-extension and follow the prompts. There's templates included for either a basic JavaScript extension (literally two files) or a complete TypeScript extension (with npm, webpack and TypeScript pre-configured).

Nice work agc!

I will have to look at adding this to the wiki!

Thank you!

Thanks everyone! Hope you find it useful...

This looks very impressive. I'm a total programming illiterate. Could I use this program to develop a Vortex extension for any moddable game?

Yes and no. It will greatly simplify some of the annoying setup tasks, and especially the TypeScript template will get you closer to ready-to-go a lot quicker. That being said, you'll still need to code in what you want your extension to do, whether that be adding support for a game or something entirely different. So it won't do the work for you, but might make it easier.

From what I've seen the Vortex team have been working on ways to add support for games with less coding required so I'd keep an eye out!