**Problem!** "This save relies on content that is no longer present..."

mmd6449

Hello,

I recently got the bright idea to try modding my Skyrim game despite the fact that I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing and have run into a problem that I'd really appreciate some help with. I tried following along with Gopher's Beginner's Guide to Vortex on Youtube but, as soon as I added Skyrim to my list of managed games, exited Vortex, and then tried to run Skyrim, I get an error message that says, "This save relies on content no longer present. Some objects may no longer be available" when I try to load any of my saved games. I haven't even tried installing any mods yet. Literally all I've done is install Vortex and add Skyrim to my list of managed games. I tried clicking the "Hide" button in the hopes that that would solve the problem, but no such luck.

At this point, I'm starting to think that I've bitten off more than I can chew with this whole modding venture and would just like to uninstall Vortex and get my game running the way it was before. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I left my copy of Skyrim in its default folder when I downloaded it from Steam and didn't bother trying to move it before adding it to Vortex. I know that Gopher said in some of his other videos that it's a good idea to move your game to a new directory before trying mod. However, he also said that it wasn't absolutely essential and I was concerned that it may cause bigger problems that it solves. Anyway, like I said, I don't know if that's what's causing my current issue but I thought I'd mention it just in case. I'm a little worried that I've caused irreparable damage to my game and would be super grateful for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mmd6449

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those savegames errors are the GAME reporting that.

It means at some point you had mods installed when you saved those saved games.

At some point you must've installed some Mods from the Steam Workshop.

I'm running Skyrim Standard Edition but recently installed Dawnguard. Does Dawnguard qualify as a mod? If so, what are my options now?

Don't expect to play your old save with mods. You need a new game

So where does that leave me? Do I have to uninstall the game, reinstall it, play every level over again, and completely rebuild my character?

Those savegames errors are the GAME reporting that.

It means at some point you had mods installed when you saved those saved games.

At some point you must've installed some Mods from the Steam Workshop.

I'm running Skyrim Standard Edition but recently installed Dawnguard. Does Dawnguard qualify as a mod? If so, what are my options now?

Don't expect to play your old save with mods. You need a new game

So where does that leave me? Do I have to uninstall the game, reinstall it, play every level over again, and completely rebuild my character?

Adding the DLC to a game is no problem, however, the error message is, that you have REMOVED something from the game, that was installed when you made that save game.

Meaning, when you played using those savegames, you had something MORE installed in your game, either a mod from Steamworks or another DLC or something

The error message when you try to load the game in SKyrim should tell you what ESP is missing.

What does the error message say EXACTLY? It should tell you what is missing.

And NO, you don't need to uninstall and reinstall the game just to start a new game, you just pick NEW from the menu when you start the game

Also, this has NOTHING to do with Vortex, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the Game is insisting you used to have a DLC, or Mod installed when you saved those games.

Uninstalling Vortex won't fix this because this has nothing to do with Vortex.

HadToRegister:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. If I've accidentally removed something, I have no idea what it would have been. Like I said, I recently installed Dawnguard but, to the best of my extremely limited knowledge, it's still installed. Aside from that, I don't recall installing anything else that I would have since removed.

As for the exact wording of the error message, it simply says,

"This save relies on content that is no longer present. Some objects may no longer be available.

Continue loading?

Yes No"

Beyond that, no additional information is given about what may have been removed to cause the error. I apologize if I'm not giving you enough information to help me solve the problem but, if you'd just let me know what else you might need and where exactly I can find it, I'll do my best to post it here.

Thanks again.

Edited by mmd6449

OK, WryeBash could tell you which mods you had installed.

You'd have to download WryeBash STAND ALONE EXE version, open the zip file, and drag the MOPY folder to the Game Folder, and once you start up wryebash by double clicking on the Wrye Bash.exe, it would set itself up, then click on the saves tab, and any save game you have it will show you what is missing from each save.

I still don't understand how I could have had other mods installed when I myself didn't install them. Like I said, all I did was install Vortex and add Skyrim to my managed games list. Vortex was the first and only file I have ever downloaded from nexusmods.com. Other than that, the only "mod" I have ever deliberately added to my Skyrim game was when I downloaded the Dawnguard DLC from Steam about two days ago - which, unless I'm mistaken, is still installed. I'm hesitant to install new programs that I know nothing about for fear of potentially making the problem worse, particularly when I'm not sure I want to do any more modding in the future. Are there other more beginner-friendly options we could explore before going that route?

I still don't understand how I could have had other mods installed when I myself didn't install them. Like I said, all I did was install Vortex and add Skyrim to my managed games list. Vortex was the first and only file I have ever downloaded from nexusmods.com. Other than that, the only "mod" I have ever deliberately added to my Skyrim game was when I downloaded the Dawnguard DLC from Steam about two days ago - which, unless I'm mistaken, is still installed. I'm hesitant to install new programs that I know nothing about for fear of potentially making the problem worse, particularly when I'm not sure I want to do any more modding in the future. Are there other more beginner-friendly options we could explore before going that route?

All you need to do is start a new game and your problems are over.