We have a name! And a Q&A session with Tannin regarding the new mod manager.

Dark0ne

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't excite me in the least. There are several very good reasons that I prefer NMM to MO and seeing that the creator of MO is now working on the new NMM is a bit disconcerting. As long as it retains NMM's functionality and usefulness without adding all the issues that arise from MO I'll use it but otherwise I'll stick with NMM or manual installs.

Well I prefer the name Nexus Client despite its boring nature, but it could have been so much worse than Vortex so I'm not complaining.

Nice to hear about Tannin's progress from the man himself.

Edited by SpookaXX

In response to post #49984342. #49985262, #49989507 are all replies on the same post.

Bonechip wrote: Great update.... thank you.

Request: Can it be made so the website reflects what you have installed?

IE: If I have BadAssGunMod001 installed... when I visit the mod's page, or see it in a list, it will show "Installed".

When you have over 200 mods installed, it is sometimes easy to forget when one is trolling around looking for more.
sgtmcbiscuits wrote: That's actually a great idea! Especially when changing modlists between playthroughs and such, it can be easy to forget what all you have. Even better would be if mod authors could state which mods are incompatible with others, and if it sees that you have that mod installed, it could warn you. That one would definitely be harder to support, as it requires authors to do a little extra work rather than the site doing it automatically, but for casual users that don't understand incompatibilities and the like, that would be a lifesaver
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: A lot of extra work that would quickly go out of date. Not really possible, no matter how convenient it'd be.

Do you want mod authors to devote time to developing, or to doing things like this? Choose...

In response to post #49989632.

alt3rn1ty wrote: Will legacy FOMod scripted mods be supported ?
And will you be including support for Wizards (Wrye Bash) scripting for mods without FOMod scripting, similar to how you did for MO ? (In the case of a mods zip including both FOMod and Wizard, I think FOMod scripting took priority)

Thanks for the update. :)
I to would like to know about older mods. I have a huge collection of stuff I use that is no longer available anyplace but my WD Passport back up drive. I in fact decided against Skyrim SE for this reason(one of several), so it is important. I don't want to go back to manual install, but I can do that.

Unless you can create an exact copy of the game and the mod manager as it was when the backup was made, the virtualization mode is inferior to a regular naked file copy system because you cannot store the game state when you need to remove the game from the system.

I know it's easier for you to develop a virtualized solution but it does not solve the problem.

Edited by turulo

Well, it is very nice to have an in-depth report on the progress of the new mod manager.

But come on, a couple of these are just silly. Paring down good MO features because users might not be "tech-savvy" enough to avoid a virus scanner mucking with their mod manager? I know the idea is to make the new organizer more accessible to users, but at some point the hand holding has to stop. Especially if the trouble is PEBKAC.

And "virtualisation is objectively superior" is the same kind of hubris that got the old method removed from NMM 0.60.x without recourse. Not everybody cares about all these sorts of shiny profiling features and other accouterments that come along.

I get the concerns about migrating across evolving manifest formats, but hanging an argument for the Vortex implementation on "you _might_ want to move your entire installation and you _might_ break your installed mods and the manifest _might_ get corrupted and the mod manager _might_ not be able to fix it" is rather unconvincing in my opinion.

Also, the name. "Vortex" seems a bit... puerile?