We have a name! And a Q&A session with Tannin regarding the new mod manager.

Dark0ne

Great update.... thank you.

Request: Can it be made so the website reflects what you have installed?

IE: If I have BadAssGunMod001 installed... when I visit the mod's page, or see it in a list, it will show "Installed".

When you have over 200 mods installed, it is sometimes easy to forget when one is trolling around looking for more.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the interview. I look forward to testing this out eventually. I enjoy using the VFS but it does have some bugs. I recently lost all my Mod Organizer connections to the main Skyrim folder after a windows update and it kind of killed me inside but I had everything up and working within 4 hours.

I look forward to testing Vortex out. Plus, nothing wrong whatsoever with installing in the main Skyrim folder. I simply back up the larger files like the BSA and ESM's, the Textures and Meshes folder respectively but I also installed mods like Animated Clutter in the folder and it works perfectly so I like the combination of manual installing and using a mod manager.

Thank you for your work Tannin.

In response to post #49984342.

Bonechip wrote: Great update.... thank you.

Request: Can it be made so the website reflects what you have installed?

IE: If I have BadAssGunMod001 installed... when I visit the mod's page, or see it in a list, it will show "Installed".

When you have over 200 mods installed, it is sometimes easy to forget when one is trolling around looking for more.

That's actually a great idea! Especially when changing modlists between playthroughs and such, it can be easy to forget what all you have. Even better would be if mod authors could state which mods are incompatible with others, and if it sees that you have that mod installed, it could warn you. That one would definitely be harder to support, as it requires authors to do a little extra work rather than the site doing it automatically, but for casual users that don't understand incompatibilities and the like, that would be a lifesaver

In response to post #49983627.

indycurt wrote: With all due respect, I'm not so sure about the name "Vortex". I can see the jokes coming already: " I uploaded my mod and it disappeared in the "Vortex". "I had 75 mods downloaded, and now they are gone! What happened? A: They are lost in the "Vortex"." The mere definition of the word "Vortex" indicates chaos and destruction. A tornado is considered a "vortex".

Surely this is a pro point of the name?

In response to post #49982472. #49983957 is also a reply to the same post.

Tannin42 wrote:

So, does this mean Vortex is going to retain copies of mods we download? So for example, getting a new version of say SMIM from Skyrim is a massive influx of data. Is it going to be able to handle those large files without issue? And can it properly dump them when I want them removed, either because of an upgrade, or because I no longer want the mod?

Not sure I understand the question. When you install a mod you basically have 3 steps:
- download the mod
- install the mod (into a separate directory)
- enable the mod

At this point you have the original archive from nexus which you are free to delete to free up space or not.

You have the installed mod. If there was an installer, this is only the selected options. No files here get deleted or replaced by other mods

Finally, you have a bunch of links to the files in the game directory.

You can disable the mod and it will remove the links and of course you can remove the mod altogether.
I'm not aware of any problems with large files, SMIM didn't cause any trouble in my testing.

Hackfield wrote: I think what he meant it's, when you download a mod with NMM, the zip file is stored in the "mods" folder of NMM, when you install it, it decompresses the file into a folder and creates the symlinks, but the original zip file is still in the "mods" folder.
At this point, a mod is actually using twice the space needed (zip file + decompressed folder, really noticeable in large mods like SMIM or texture mods that can reach easily a GB or more).

In MO you could delete the downloaded zip file to save space and the content of the mod would still be installed, but in NMM, if you delete the downloaded zip file, NMM removes the mod completely.

Actually, you can remove the mod archive in NMM and the mod will still stay installed.

When NMM extracts/decompresses the mod archive, it is momentarily extracted/decompressed to the NMM Temp folder. Once finished, the files get moved into the Virtual Install.

You might want to check where the Temp folder is located at in the NMM Settings.