Vanquisher of Bugs - Arthmoor

BigBizkit

In response to post #62596186. #62622486 is also a reply to the same post.

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Modding advice that I hope people heed:
-Start with small patches and minor tweaks and then go from there.
-Plan exactly what you want to change and how it will affect the rest of the game.
-Anything you release is something you should be willing to go back even years later and update/fix as needed so keep a backup of all your project files and notes!
-When starting out, just mod privately for yourself and NOT for anyone else or public releases; if you are happy with your work then others will be happy with it as well (hopefully).

Whenever people praise Bethesda games, I always ask them 'how does it play WITHOUT any mods or unofficial patches' and then they give me this cold stare like 'you know already'.
Rasikko wrote: Until any of the tools came out for Skyrim, we didn't have any unofficial patches, and the game played well enough.

Well enough is highly subjective. The vanilla game has tons of bugs and was prone to a myriad of conditions that might, or might not, lead to erratic behaviour or CTDs. It even lead to the term Skyrim Voodoo: with identical clean setups, sometimes things were great and sometimes they were just plain weird. There is a reason that the main game and DLCs have unofficial patches, which has nothing to do with adding content and everything to do with ironing out many of those problems. It's easy enough to forget about that stuff, because most of it happened years ago, but perusing the old forums will quickly remind one of how many quirky or game-breaking issues there really were.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without Arthmoor & the Unofficial Patch Project Team, Bethesda games would be broken messes on the PC platform (Consoles too since I'll assume the unofficial patches for Skyrim SE/Fallout 4 are available for consoles). I made the switch to PC after the mess I dealt with on the PS3 platform where Bethesda intentionally hid the horrific issues (Horrific lag in particular when the save file size eclipsed 6 MB) with said platform by not allowing reviews to be made on the PS3 version of the game. Thank you Arthmoor & the Unofficial Patch Project Team for all your hard work in fixing the mess Bethesda should have addressed in the first place.

Alternate Start is a MUST-HAVE since the sequence in Helgen is buggy/glitchy & doesn't work well at all with mods installed. Thanks for that.

Edited by ff7legend

it would be nice if the site can buy the guest a plane ticket to a meeting so we can all enjoy a full interview on video.
That said, we all have a high consideration for this guy, without his work the game will be simply unplayable.

In response to post #62654316.

asmediv wrote:

it would be nice if the site can buy the guest a plane ticket to a meeting so we can all enjoy a full interview on video.
That said, we all have a high consideration for this guy, without his work the game will be simply unplayable.

We'd love to do that, in an ideal world. But our authors are all over the world and getting them here would be very expensive. We are exploring audio content currently so we'll see how that goes :)

Without question on of the architects and masters of the modding community without whom the several games would be collecting dust on the shelves a long time ago. Thank-you, for all you have done and continue to do. Edited by TygerxEyes

Arthmoor is not only one of the most valuable members here on Nexus, but in the whole modding community. The amount of work and dedication he has put into the unofficial patches is insane, especially if you consider that they're just that - patches for bugs that occur in vanilla Skyrim and at least 90% of them should've been fixed by Bethesda already. That's why these mods are so mandatory for everyone, because they fix the vanilla game first and gives it more stability to endure mods that actually add or change something. Who knows how many bugs and incompatibilities we would have when using several mods if these unofficial patches weren't available. It would be hell.

Thank you very much for your hard work.

Three things always amaze me about Arthmoor

1. He's still doing this, and with such commitment.

2. He manages to juggle the various creation kits and games supporting all the patches and mods he has taken charge of - On one machine.

3. The sheer volume of things he occasionally pushes out within a few days, all requiring a huge amount of attention to detail and last minute cleaning.

The grumpy old lizard is well overdue for this round of applause from the community :)

Thank you Arthmoor for all you do, and endure, for the benefit of the TES Communities.

In response to post #62596186. #62622486, #62646551 are all replies on the same post.

DaedalusMachina007 wrote: Modding advice that I hope people heed:
-Start with small patches and minor tweaks and then go from there.
-Plan exactly what you want to change and how it will affect the rest of the game.
-Anything you release is something you should be willing to go back even years later and update/fix as needed so keep a backup of all your project files and notes!
-When starting out, just mod privately for yourself and NOT for anyone else or public releases; if you are happy with your work then others will be happy with it as well (hopefully).

Whenever people praise Bethesda games, I always ask them 'how does it play WITHOUT any mods or unofficial patches' and then they give me this cold stare like 'you know already'.
Rasikko wrote: Until any of the tools came out for Skyrim, we didn't have any unofficial patches, and the game played well enough.
kernmcnutt wrote: Well enough is highly subjective. The vanilla game has tons of bugs and was prone to a myriad of conditions that might, or might not, lead to erratic behaviour or CTDs. It even lead to the term Skyrim Voodoo: with identical clean setups, sometimes things were great and sometimes they were just plain weird. There is a reason that the main game and DLCs have unofficial patches, which has nothing to do with adding content and everything to do with ironing out many of those problems. It's easy enough to forget about that stuff, because most of it happened years ago, but perusing the old forums will quickly remind one of how many quirky or game-breaking issues there really were.

@Rasikko:
Really now? They played 'well enough'?
How long has it been since you played unmodded vanilla Skyrim?
I guarantee that if you go through all the patch notes for the unofficial patches you will see a lengthy list of fixes that Bethesda has not yet (ever) bothered to implement. For the Skyrim Special Edition instead of going through and FIXING the game they instead decided that 'enhanced water shaders' and 'godrays' were a higher priority. But ok then.
Bethesda games are a nightmare of spaghetti code and good wishes. Skyrim Voodoo (and even Morrowwind Voodoo) are memes for a reason.

I only wish gamers would hold Bethesda accountable in actually fixing their games instead of depending solely on modders to do their job for them (with zero compensation or official recognition whatsoever).