⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

In response to post #64078691. #64083841 is also a reply to the same post.

linksword01 wrote: You want me to stop using adblock? You get the same response I give others.

Provide me with a 90-day history of reports of malicious software so I can blacklist the trackers

Provide me with proof you have never been compromised in the last 2 years.
Azulyn wrote: agreed. Every single site I've ever used that relies on ads usually have AT LEAST one ad that has malware of some sort. Adblock is too precious to give up for slightly faster download speeds. My computer's health is more important to me than a download hub. Sorry if that's callous. I just remember the times prior to adblock. Never again.

Add on a guarantee that I will never see NSFW ads, and I'd stop using adblock too.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64078691. #64083841, #64084791 are all replies on the same post.

linksword01 wrote: You want me to stop using adblock? You get the same response I give others.

Provide me with a 90-day history of reports of malicious software so I can blacklist the trackers

Azulyn wrote: agreed. Every single site I've ever used that relies on ads usually have AT LEAST one ad that has malware of some sort. Adblock is too precious to give up for slightly faster download speeds. My computer's health is more important to me than a download hub. Sorry if that's callous. I just remember the times prior to adblock. Never again.
CaptianNemo wrote: Add on a guarantee that I will never see NSFW ads, and I'd stop using adblock too.

Re: NSFW ads.

You shouldn't ever see these if you have adult content switched off.

In response to post #64078896. #64079056, #64079716, #64081261 are all replies on the same post.

BobDarek wrote: I don't have any ad-blocker... I don't know why you considered me like this kind of user. Anyway, my antivirus suite is blocking any attack attempts from your site... Maybe that's why people use ad-block. Your site isn't safe (At least, that's what my antivirus said)
magicgun wrote: bad anti-viruses. its impossible to get viruses from this site.
Kaebus wrote: I wouldn't say it's impossible to get viruses from this site, otherwise there would be no use for the "Checked for Viruses" and "Some Files Not Scanned" function tags on the mod pages. However, in my decade of using the site I've never encountered any malware or virus from any of my usage. It's likely that your antivirus is just being overprotective.
fredlaus wrote: Copied from Firefox Monitor Report:
Nexus Mods
Breach date:July 22, 2013
Compromised accounts:5,915,013
Compromised data:Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Breach data provided by Have I Been Pwned
My comment: You can never be safe enough.

Otherwise I find this action a social way to appreciate the stuff most of us are here for - nursing our hobby. Thank you for this initiative, Dark0ne.

@magicgun: There were instances of folks getting viruses from Nexus a few years back. Hackers got into the system & replaced several popular mod files (SkyUI on Oldrim Nexus being one of those) with .exe files that would auto-execute when downloaded, thereby infecting the user's machine with malware/spyware/trojans/worms/etc. This is why Nexus now employs a virus scanner each time a file is uploaded to the sites. However, there are issues with the virus scanner that Nexus has yet to fix. These include instances of infinite virus scan loops & the scans being slower than molasses in many cases. I know larger files take longer but even the smaller files can sometimes take over an hour to scan/get stuck in an infinite virus scanning loop. I & many other users have reported these issues on both the Nexus Forums as well as the Bug Tracker on Github. The issues have yet to be fixed & really need to be addressed.

There was also an issue back in '13 where hackers breached the Nexus & compromised nearly 6 million user accounts. A site-wide e-mail was sent out requiring all users to change their passwords due to said breach. Saying it's impossible to get a virus from Nexus or otherwise impossible to get hacked using Nexus is inaccurate/not a smart way of thinking. I use uBlock Origin & uBlock Plus to keep ads/pop-ups off my web browser. Many ads still utilize Adobe Flash Player, which is a haven for malware/spyware/trojans/worms/ransomware. This is why I employ an ad blocker but I also purchased a lifetime Premium membership back in '14 due to all the rampant issues with downloads on the old system/the newer CDN. Edited by ff7legend

In response to post #64078691. #64083841, #64084791, #64084886 are all replies on the same post.

CaptianNemo wrote: Add on a guarantee that I will never see NSFW ads, and I'd stop using adblock too.
Pickysaurus wrote: Re: NSFW ads.

You shouldn't ever see these if you have adult content switched off.

Another way to remove ads from Nexus is to buy a Supporter or lifetime Premium membership. Best $85.00 I ever invested for a lifetime Premium membership, which is a one-time payment. I still employ an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin & uBlock Origin Plus) but also enjoy uncapped download speeds (400 Mb/sec).

In response to post #64085421.

PanosUchiha wrote: "office space, the hardware we work on, software license fees, HR, payroll, legal fees, insurance"

hmm i dont get this site so they wanna make money from FREE mods? made by others? ????????

How are they going to host those free mods made by others? Or any of the extra features that the Nexus has? Web space isn't free, and they have to pay the bills somehow.

In response to post #64085421. #64085616, #64085781 are all replies on the same post.

PanosUchiha wrote: "office space, the hardware we work on, software license fees, HR, payroll, legal fees, insurance"

hmm i dont get this site so they wanna make money from FREE mods? made by others? ????????
Superpan2256 wrote: How are they going to host those free mods made by others? Or any of the extra features that the Nexus has? Web space isn't free, and they have to pay the bills somehow.
ff7legend wrote: Ever priced a server unit? Servers are NOT CHEAP. My father works at Intel Corporation as a computer engineer where they design/build some of the absolute best server units in the world. These Intel server units carry a hefty price tag of $100K per unit. There's a reason large companies like Cisco Systems employ Intel server units. That doesn't include the monthly bandwidth costs, various licensing fees, payroll (Yes, employees cost $$$$$$), etc. Where else does one think said revenue is going to come from. Ads may be annoying but unfortunately they're a necessary evil a la taxes.

They want to make money from traffic on the website that they have to pay money to host and service their users. They aren't asking for money out of your pocket or enticing paid mods. They are not making money off of the mods, they are making money off of us accepting to have a couple advertisements on our screen while browsing such a great platform and community database, without asking you for anything.

Imagine the internet as your cable service, and the Nexus is your channel of choice, with each mod being a different show. The channel doesn't make the shows, it just hosts them and runs commercial breaks to make ad revenue based on how many customers are tuned in watching that ad. The advertisements on Nexus are simply their form of commercials that the channel needs to remain funded. Edited by Guest

In response to post #64085421. #64085616, #64085756, #64089941 are all replies on the same post.

Superpan2256 wrote: How are they going to host those free mods made by others? Or any of the extra features that the Nexus has? Web space isn't free, and they have to pay the bills somehow.
Kaebus wrote: They want to make money from traffic on the website that they have to pay money to host and service their users. They aren't asking for money out of your pocket or enticing paid mods. They are not making money off of the mods, they are making money off of us accepting to have a couple advertisements on our screen while browsing such a great platform and community database, without asking you for anything.

Imagine the internet as your cable service, and the Nexus is your channel of choice, with each mod being a different show. The channel doesn't make the shows, it just hosts them and runs commercial breaks to make ad revenue based on how many customers are tuned in watching that ad. The advertisements on Nexus are simply their form of commercials that the channel needs to remain funded.
hanageboubounosuke wrote: If you want to host all those mods on your home PC on a consumer internet connection, by all means, try it out and tell us how cheap and easy it is to serve millions of users around the world 24/7.

Ever priced a server unit? Servers are NOT CHEAP. My father works at Intel Corporation as a computer engineer where they design/build some of the absolute best server units in the world. These Intel server units carry a hefty price tag of $100K per unit. There's a reason large companies like Cisco Systems employ Intel server units. That doesn't include the monthly bandwidth costs, various licensing fees, payroll (Yes, employees cost $$$$$$), etc. Where else does one think said revenue is going to come from? Ads may be annoying but unfortunately they're a necessary evil a la taxes. Edited by ff7legend