Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

In response to post #64078606. #64079091 is also a reply to the same post.

Digus wrote: How will a person be flag as ad-block user or not?
I use ad-block at work, but not at home.
I constantly check the site to answer any users of my mods, but don't download anything at work. I let ad-block on at work to avoid unnecessary usage of company bandwidth and resources from my machine.

Will I still have my download limited as an ad-block user?
magicgun wrote: interesting point. Bump

I doubt that the recognition would be account bound. I think it's likely to be tied to the browser session that you are on, using the same functions that display the frowny face when it recognizes you aren't rendering ads. If you attempted to download from work you'd be capped at 1mb/s, and at home I figure you'd be capped at 2mb/s where you don't have the adblocker.

If nothing else, they wouldn't permanently mark you as an adblock user after making an announcement like this where many users will likely be lifting their adblocks in the near future to get the new 2mb/s cap, so there has to be a process on a per download basis that checks for adblocker and connects you to the proper service depending on your browser's response. Edited by Guest

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64078606. #64079091, #64079541 are all replies on the same post.

Digus wrote: How will a person be flag as ad-block user or not?
I use ad-block at work, but not at home.
I constantly check the site to answer any users of my mods, but don't download anything at work. I let ad-block on at work to avoid unnecessary usage of company bandwidth and resources from my machine.

Will I still have my download limited as an ad-block user?
magicgun wrote: interesting point. Bump
Kaebus wrote: I doubt that the recognition would be account bound. I think it's likely to be tied to the browser session that you are on, using the same functions that display the frowny face when it recognizes you aren't rendering ads. If you attempted to download from work you'd be capped at 1mb/s, and at home I figure you'd be capped at 2mb/s where you don't have the adblocker.

If nothing else, they wouldn't permanently mark you as an adblock user after making an announcement like this where many users will likely be lifting their adblocks in the near future to get the new 2mb/s cap, so there has to be a process on a per download basis that checks for adblocker and connects you to the proper service depending on your browser's response.

There is a timer attached to your activity to essentially stop people just turning off their adblocker for downloads, while blocking all the ads otherwise. The situation you describe should mean that you'll get 1MB/sec at work, and 2MB/sec at home either instantly, or soon after you're browsing a few pages while at home.

In response to post #64078896. #64079056 is also a reply to the same post.

BobDarek wrote: I don't have any ad-blocker... I don't know why you considered me like this kind of user. Anyway, my antivirus suite is blocking any attack attempts from your site... Maybe that's why people use ad-block. Your site isn't safe (At least, that's what my antivirus said)
magicgun wrote: bad anti-viruses. its impossible to get viruses from this site.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to get viruses from this site, otherwise there would be no use for the "Checked for Viruses" and "Some Files Not Scanned" function tags on the mod pages. However, in my decade of using the site I've never encountered any malware or virus from any of my usage. It's likely that your antivirus is just being overprotective.

Just from my personal "YouTubing" experience. My analytics show that I've missed out on roughly $9,500 due to add blockers since I started making videos. Do what you need to do. From a long time premium member it sounds reasonable enough to give supporters a bump to say thanks. Edited by GamerPoets

In response to post #64078956.

magicgun wrote: So... if we use nexus mod manager (mainstream or GitHub beta) and use add-block we can bypass and get 2mbs ? Or if we download manually, use add-block and also use NoScript. We can also bypass and get the 2mbs ?

Furthermore. how will you 'guess' if user use add-blockers ? Is there some kind of godlike universal script that detect all add-block product on all version of said product on all version of Firefox/chrome/edge/internet/opera/tor/etc on all window product?

Does activating the 'do not track me' option in Firefox circumvent this for example ?

Its understandable that the premium users consolidated sales may be lower than the actual website maintenance cost. But are adds really the only source of revenue you have ? If you're at this point, i believe you've reached a good opportunity to do what entrepreneurs call ''diversification'' or ''expansion reform''. Simply put; aim higher, aim bigger, aim weird, aim incredible and you'll find solutions.

Why not sell merchandising (shirt/table-ware/geek-ware/create your own gate\movie/ become a game re-seller like Gog\valve) instead of spiting in the face of 2/5 of your user-bases ? Would that not make more sense ?

I think its great that you didn't actually lower the bandwidth of people who use add-block (whatever that mean). Its good to keep a positive state of mind and its gonna pay back in the long run.

I'm not encouraging the act of circumventing the download caps in any ways. I'm just trying to point out that it seem there are some caveat in this logic. Not to mention that many adds and script can be blocked manually using many thing that are not called ''addblockplus''

''''''You've cost us money.'''' Oh... Sorry ?

I don't think it's illogical or spitting in the face of users at all. They still receive the same service they have had for this long without complaint, they are only giving something back for people who are freely contributing financially to the site (conciously or unconsciously as the site puts it).

great news! was thinking of buying life time premium for a while but, I'm a poor college student so you know how it goes :sad:

Lifetime is definitely worth it, a one time fee, and you never have to worry about coming up with the money ever again.

"One and done"

I got mine in 2009

In response to post #64079816.

GamerPoets wrote: Just from my personal "YouTubing" experience. My analytics show that I've missed out on roughly $9,500 due to add blockers since I started making videos. Do what you need to do. From a long time premium member it sounds reasonable enough to give supporters a bump to say thanks.

Very well said GP. I've known a few content creators on YT who encountered the same issue. As said in this announcement, the reasons people have for using adblockers are valid, and it's not a shunning of them doing so in any way, but it's really nice to have something out there for the people who are giving a little bit back. Edited by Guest

In response to post #64078806. #64079666 is also a reply to the same post.

Niborino9409 wrote: How about supporter users that uses browsers with adblock and such built in? Like the Brave Browser https://brave.com/
Dark0ne wrote: If you're logged in on your Supporter account, you'll get 2MB/sec regardless.

Okay, thanks! :D