⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Download speed cap increase for Supporters and non-Adblockers

Dark0ne

I personally feel Nexus should be a pay only site. I have no complaints considering I normally use 140-189 mods and am on here 3-5 times a week. I get my moneys' worth. I also would prefer if modders got a piece of the action so they would not HAVE to have a Patreon page. I don't mind paying a bit extra for that also. Modders are worth gold, and I benefit from their hard work. I know libs think everything they have should be free, but modders make my gaming life enjoyable and far less time-consuming. A working man is worth his wages, and modders work. As a father of 5 modders and nexus make playable adventures far more playable. Edited by AdioPinoy

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64078896. #64079056, #64079716, #64081261, #64085246 are all replies on the same post.

BobDarek wrote: I don't have any ad-blocker... I don't know why you considered me like this kind of user. Anyway, my antivirus suite is blocking any attack attempts from your site... Maybe that's why people use ad-block. Your site isn't safe (At least, that's what my antivirus said)
magicgun wrote: bad anti-viruses. its impossible to get viruses from this site.
Kaebus wrote: I wouldn't say it's impossible to get viruses from this site, otherwise there would be no use for the "Checked for Viruses" and "Some Files Not Scanned" function tags on the mod pages. However, in my decade of using the site I've never encountered any malware or virus from any of my usage. It's likely that your antivirus is just being overprotective.
fredlaus wrote: Copied from Firefox Monitor Report:
Nexus Mods
Breach date:July 22, 2013
Compromised accounts:5,915,013
Compromised data:Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Breach data provided by Have I Been Pwned
My comment: You can never be safe enough.

Otherwise I find this action a social way to appreciate the stuff most of us are here for - nursing our hobby. Thank you for this initiative, Dark0ne.
ff7legend wrote: @magicgun: There were instances of folks getting viruses from Nexus a few years back. Hackers got into the system & replaced several popular mod files (SkyUI on Oldrim Nexus being one of those) with .exe files that would auto-execute when downloaded, thereby infecting the user's machine with malware/spyware/trojans/worms/etc. This is why Nexus now employs a virus scanner each time a file is uploaded to the sites. However, there are issues with the virus scanner that Nexus has yet to fix. These include instances of infinite virus scan loops & the scans being slower than molasses in many cases. I know larger files take longer but even the smaller files can sometimes take over an hour to scan/get stuck in an infinite virus scanning loop. I & many other users have reported these issues on both the Nexus Forums as well as the Bug Tracker on Github. The issues have yet to be fixed & really need to be addressed.

There was also an issue back in '13 where hackers breached the Nexus & compromised nearly 6 million user accounts. A site-wide e-mail was sent out requiring all users to change their passwords due to said breach. Saying it's impossible to get a virus from Nexus or otherwise impossible to get hacked using Nexus is inaccurate/not a smart way of thinking. I use uBlock Origin & uBlock Plus to keep ads/pop-ups off my web browser. Many ads still utilize Adobe Flash Player, which is a haven for malware/spyware/trojans/worms/ransomware. This is why I employ an ad blocker but I also purchased a lifetime Premium membership back in '14 due to all the rampant issues with downloads on the old system/the newer CDN.

i ear you ff7legend. still i don't believe nexus mod to be a fundamentally dangerous website. those examples you described are essentially exterior actors. there is no real concrete reason for any antivirus to flag nexus mod as an dangerous platform.

In response to post #64086551.

AdioPinoy wrote: I personally feel Nexus should be a pay only site. I have no complaints considering I normally use 140-189 mods and am on here 3-5 times a week. I get my moneys' worth. I also would prefer if modders got a piece of the action so they would not HAVE to have a Patreon page. I don't mind paying a bit extra for that also. Modders are worth gold, and I benefit from their hard work. I know libs think everything they have should be free, but modders make my gaming life enjoyable and far less time-consuming. A working man is worth his wages, and modders work. As a father of 5 modders and nexus make playable adventures far more playable.

I don't think that would be financially sound, as a majority of their funding is from ad revenue of their free user's traffic, nor would it be particularly healthy for the modding community since Nexus is the main hub that attracts more modders and users alike because of its platform freedom. Creating a paywall for it would not do much to get them more long term funding, and would instead more likely press audiences to lead off to other paid services as their main mod provider instead (such as Creation Club) since they would no longer have a free option to default to.

Furthermore, not everyone's usage of the Nexus is to the same expanse as yours. Some simply come here for the bug fixes or a couple of simple customization options, rather than spending hours constructing giant mod rigs, and their experience should be considered as well. Making them pay the same amount as a heavy user wouldn't be very encouraging to those users. Ad revenue is the best way for the site to maximize profit proportionally to how much their users are using the website.

Also not sure where the lib analogy would be coming in on this. Edited by Guest

In response to post #64078956. #64079846, #64087306, #64091751 are all replies on the same post.

magicgun wrote: [This post is censored. and being replaced with the opinions of idealistic toxic kid. this way i hope to stop receiving inappropriate private messages because I'll advertise the trolls opinions instead of writing my own.]
Addblock are super evil.
We need a paywall and it should be at least 100$ per month.
There is no reason for nexus mod to proceed with diversification. it should rest on its success and do nothing new forever.
Paid mod are the best.
We need more add, at least as much as what we get on YouTube or on our cellphones.
We NEED to up the download speed for premium and supporter to higher height. say 10 MBs, 25MBs ... no, pay to download is the best. lets up to 1GBs.
Because its totally realistic to get absurdly high download speed and also because the download speed we had before weren't enough at all!!
Nexus mod can totally afford any download speed with ad alone.
Addblock software are for child. its an abnormal thing that should not be used. those that even remotely entertain the idea of their implication in society are whiny child.
[at this point i don't even know what to write anymore. troll don't exactly express themselves clearly on their opinions, they just come and tell you that you're an object of idiocy. they don't even say what their opinion is on the presented subject. or they pretend and state something obvious and follow up with a insult to trick you into confusion.]

at this point, i just hope a moderator will pass by and delete this. I'm ashamed to be even loosely related to anything that's written here. if one does pass by and delete this. I'd like to give him my thank for deleting this. and i mean it honestly. its not malicious or lying on the surface. it seem that my original opinion was not welcome to begin with.
Kaebus wrote: I don't think it's illogical or spitting in the face of users at all. They still receive the same service they have had for this long without complaint, they are only giving something back for people who are freely contributing financially to the site (conciously or unconsciously as the site puts it).
Yggdrasil7557 wrote: "Ad" is short for "advertisement" with 1 d not 2. While there are many different adblock variants such as opera adblock and ad block plus, the server can generally see where their data is going (or not going) and a script can tell "ads have been blocked" this is how many websites have the popup that says "please disable your adblock" blacktreegaming is not spitting in the face of users, it is not lowering the speed that adblock users can download at, instead it is increasing the speed that non-adblock users can download at. There is a difference between the two and you would do well to learn it. everything costs money, and adblock originated for two reasons: slow computers that would not benefit from the speed cap increase anyway, and intrusive ads that make sites unusable. Fandom for a while was a site that would slow down a computer to a crawl due to the number of ads it displayed, so it was the first site I used adblock on ever, and I only did so because fandom is wikia. since then fandom/wikia has removed some ads to allow computers to actually access it, and so I do not block ads on it anymore.
The way you talk in this sounds like a whiny child who thinks that it should have every toy, you can not have everything you want, everything is give and take, if you dont give, how can you expect to take?
magicgun wrote: Yggdrasil7557 I'm not gonna dialogue with people that search for places to be trolls.

If you want to read my post again or read other people post, be my guest, but i'm not gonna entertain you sadly.

Have a good day.

. Edited by magicgun

In response to post #64086971.

baddong wrote: I have AdBlock running on my Chrome but never activated just for this site
tumblr_pg1sq5wac91xudkpho1_250.png

Is my speed of connectivity for downloading stuffs on this site still affected???

If your adblock is disabled for Nexus, you should be fine. I am sure it is based on whether or not the advertisements are registering properly, and not based on if it detects an extension present within your browser period.

In response to post #64078956. #64079846, #64086906 are all replies on the same post.

magicgun wrote: So... if we use nexus mod manager (mainstream or GitHub beta) and use add-block we can bypass and get 2mbs ? Or if we download manually, use add-block and also use NoScript. We can also bypass and get the 2mbs ?

Furthermore. how will you 'guess' if user use add-blockers ? Is there some kind of godlike universal script that detect all add-block product on all version of said product on all version of Firefox/chrome/edge/internet/opera/tor/etc on all window product?

Does activating the 'do not track me' option in Firefox circumvent this for example ?

Its understandable that the premium users consolidated sales may be lower than the actual website maintenance cost. But are adds really the only source of revenue you have ? If you're at this point, i believe you've reached a good opportunity to do what entrepreneurs call ''diversification'' or ''expansion reform''. Simply put; aim higher, aim bigger, aim weird, aim incredible and you'll find solutions.

Why not sell merchandising (shirt/table-ware/geek-ware/create your own game\movie/ become a game re-seller like Gog\valve) instead of spiting in the face of 2/5 of your user-bases ? Would that not make more sense ?

I think its great that you didn't actually lower the bandwidth of people who use add-block (whatever that mean). Its good to keep a positive state of mind and its gonna pay back in the long run.

I'm not encouraging the act of circumventing the download caps in any ways. I'm just trying to point out that it seem there are some caveat in this logic. Not to mention that many adds and script can be blocked manually using many thing that are not called ''addblockplus''

''''''You've cost us money.'''' Oh... Sorry ?
Kaebus wrote: I don't think it's illogical or spitting in the face of users at all. They still receive the same service they have had for this long without complaint, they are only giving something back for people who are freely contributing financially to the site (conciously or unconsciously as the site puts it).
magicgun wrote: And you're certainly right to think so. I, by no mean, aim to control the intellect of the community. My post is open to interpretation as its nothing more than a personal opinion.
You are also correct. People who use add-block do receive the exact same service they had before they where categorized as such.
Nexus mod indeed used a positive approach to what is essentially a challenge to their enterprise economy and marketing. i believe that how they did this is well played. It could have been so much worse. Still, i look forward to what their next move will be.

"Ad" is short for "advertisement" with 1 d not 2. While there are many different adblock variants such as opera adblock and ad block plus, the server can generally see where their data is going (or not going) and a script can tell "ads have been blocked" this is how many websites have the popup that says "please disable your adblock" blacktreegaming is not spitting in the face of users, it is not lowering the speed that adblock users can download at, instead it is increasing the speed that non-adblock users can download at. There is a difference between the two and you would do well to learn it. everything costs money, and adblock originated for two reasons: slow computers that would not benefit from the speed cap increase anyway, and intrusive ads that make sites unusable. Fandom for a while was a site that would slow down a computer to a crawl due to the number of ads it displayed, so it was the first site I used adblock on ever, and I only did so because fandom is wikia. since then fandom/wikia has removed some ads to allow computers to actually access it, and so I do not block ads on it anymore.
The way you talk in this sounds like a whiny child who thinks that it should have every toy, you can not have everything you want, everything is give and take, if you dont give, how can you expect to take?

In response to post #64086551. #64086861 is also a reply to the same post.

AdioPinoy wrote: I personally feel Nexus should be a pay only site. I have no complaints considering I normally use 140-189 mods and am on here 3-5 times a week. I get my moneys' worth. I also would prefer if modders got a piece of the action so they would not HAVE to have a Patreon page. I don't mind paying a bit extra for that also. Modders are worth gold, and I benefit from their hard work. I know libs think everything they have should be free, but modders make my gaming life enjoyable and far less time-consuming. A working man is worth his wages, and modders work. As a father of 5 modders and nexus make playable adventures far more playable.
Kaebus wrote: I don't think that would be financially sound, as a majority of their funding is from ad revenue of their free user's traffic, nor would it be particularly healthy for the modding community since Nexus is the main hub that attracts more modders and users alike because of its platform freedom. Creating a paywall for it would not do much to get them more long term funding, and would instead more likely press audiences to lead off to other paid services as their main mod provider instead (such as Creation Club) since they would no longer have a free option to default to.

Furthermore, not everyone's usage of the Nexus is to the same expanse as yours. Some simply come here for the bug fixes or a couple of simple customization options, rather than spending hours constructing giant mod rigs, and their experience should be considered as well. Making them pay the same amount as a heavy user wouldn't be very encouraging to those users. Ad revenue is the best way for the site to maximize profit proportionally to how much their users are using the website.

Also not sure where the lib analogy would be coming in on this.

Kaebus, the lib analogy is referring to american liberals who are "anarchocommunists" that believe that everyone and everything should be free, from movies that cost 100 million to make all the way down to the artwork that starving artists spend days or weeks on.

Thank you for this welcome change :D

That speed point makes a lot of sense for me since my slow, expensive internet in Australia is download average: 800 KB/s (peak), max: 1.4 MB/s (off peak). The NBN has not rolled out in my suburb. I think that this is about the limit for standard ADSL2+.

In response to post #64086551. #64086861, #64087401 are all replies on the same post.

Kaebus wrote: I don't think that would be financially sound, as a majority of their funding is from ad revenue of their free user's traffic, nor would it be particularly healthy for the modding community since Nexus is the main hub that attracts more modders and users alike because of its platform freedom. Creating a paywall for it would not do much to get them more long term funding, and would instead more likely press audiences to lead off to other paid services as their main mod provider instead (such as Creation Club) since they would no longer have a free option to default to.

Also not sure where the lib analogy would be coming in on this.
Yggdrasil7557 wrote: Kaebus, the lib analogy is referring to american liberals who are "anarchocommunists" that believe that everyone and everything should be free, from movies that cost 100 million to make all the way down to the artwork that starving artists spend days or weeks on.

I know what it is referring to haha, I was just saying I don't know where that usage is warranted in this topic. I am more conservative leaning and support hosting the site as they do currently without a paywall, so to brush everyone who thinks the same as being 'lib' would be inaccurate. I simply don't understand the reasoning for mentioning politics here is all.

The discussion of different financial methods is not inherently political, nor do I consider it a thought of it being free to be the most important thing (I'm a paying premium user), I think what's important is the balance of revenue and user experience/satisfaction. EA makes incredible amounts of money, but suffers one of the most vivid backlash communities because of their chosen methods. Same with many films that come out nowadays. Star Wars films make large sums of money, but suffer from heavy critique on account of their considerable amount of disrespect to their source material. I think Nexus has made great decisions that balance the amount of funding they receive in addition to maintaining a satisfactory service for all of their users, not just the paying ones. Edited by Guest