Mod Authors Forum Access.

HeyYou

It's not some weird conspiracy. Due to handling more deletions recently we've noticed a lot of users, including plenty from before the recent announcement, who have had access to the private mod author forums (and the other perks) but who no longer meet the criteria. The criteria being published mods that total 1,000 downloads or more.

We've updated our scripts today, which likely were out of date as far back as when we launched the DP system (perhaps even further back than that, but that was the last time we completely changed how we store file stats so that's a likely culprit). Thus, there were plenty of users who had access who shouldn't, and now don't.

Not a conspiracy, simply doing spring cleaning on the mod author group to ensure those who are in the group are actually mod authors who meet the criteria for access, which was made more apparent while handling removal requests over the weekend. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah. Ok. So, a system that has been in place for better than ten years, suddenly gets an update? You will pardon me if I find the timing of that somewhat suspicious. I have seen a LOT of changes coming about here in the last couple weeks, and none of them seem to be in line with what was once the stated goal of NexusMods, protecting mod authors rights. That seems to have fallen by the wayside recently, and suddenly, a fair few folks that have had access to the GMAD forum, now suddenly don't. Coincidence? I hardly think so.

So, for those of us that are responsible for mods, (and in some cases, the ONLY person looking after them) that have contributed to those mods, and supported them for years, now no longer qualify as "Mod Authors" in Nexus view??

That's exactly what he's saying. Also, you seemingly stop being a mod author for whatever reason, unless you have a permanently published mod with 1000 dls. It's like saying I stop being a Game Designer if I go on vacation, or get sick. I can't help but laugh.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Ok. So, a system that has been in place for better than ten years, suddenly gets an update?

I literally just explained how it got noticed and how the previous script was out-of-date meaning plenty of users had the mod author perks despite no longer meeting the criteria. We were already updating the script to remove the perks for those users leaving us after the latest announcement and thus, anyone who shouldn't have had the perks before has now been removed as part of the update to the script which is removing the authors who recently left.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SO what was the reasoning behind removing those 'perks' from co-authors?

Yeah. Ok. So, a system that has been in place for better than ten years, suddenly gets an update?

I literally just explained how it got noticed and how the previous script was out-of-date meaning plenty of users had the mod author perks despite no longer meeting the criteria. We were already updating the script to remove the perks for those users leaving us after the latest announcement and thus, anyone who shouldn't have had the perks before has now been removed as part of the update to the script which is removing the authors who recently left.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Simple: your mod doesn't have 1000 dls. They don't care if you are co-author.

It appears that unless your name appears as the "uploader" nothing else matters. Not cool.

We were already updating the script to remove the perks for those users leaving us after the latest announcement and thus, anyone who shouldn't have had the perks before has now been removed as part of the update to the script which is removing the authors who recently left.

Leaving you? That's an interesting way to put it.

As far as I'm aware, we never counted co-author/team members and only counted the stats for the file uploader. Certainly, nothing in the previous script accounted for people in the "team" rather than just the original uploader. Thus, anyone in the mod author group would have had published mods, under their own name, at some point in the past. The issue was that the script was broken and no longer correctly accounting for mods being removed or hidden.

Indeed, it would be a massive loophole/exploitable avenue if anyone could get mod author perks simply by getting someone to add them to the "team" on one of their mods, so I can't imagine we'd have ever coded something that does that.

As far as I'm aware, we never counted co-author/team members and only counted the stats for the file uploader. Certainly, nothing in the previous script accounted for people in the "team" rather than just the original uploader. Thus, anyone in the mod author group would have had published mods, under their own name, at some point in the past. The issue was that the script was broken and no longer correctly accounting for mods being removed or hidden.

Indeed, it would be a massive loophole if anyone could get mod author perks simply by getting someone to add them to the "team" on one of their mods.

Hhhmmm..... Any mods that I may have uploaded here in the past, should still be here..... I don't recall ever deleting anything, and I haven't really uploaded that many mods here in any event. I was co-author with Crossbows of cyrodiil for a time, but, I don't think that mod ever got me access to GMAD..... Those forums showed up when Axeman (Smoke) added me as an 'admin' (for lack of a better word) to Advanced Magecraft. I remember being surprised when a couple new forums showed up on my list. So, apparently, the script DID recognize co-authors/admins/whatever at one time...... Why the change?

When I first got access to GMAD it required that the mods in my name have 1k unique downloads. This was 5ish years ago. The pages I was listed as an author/ page manager on did not count. This was also true for other small authors I have helped since then. If that was ever how it worked, it's been a very long time since the change.

Only one person can be an uploader, right? So, others who might have done even more work than "uploader" get no respect? The uploader is only the person who pushes the button. It has nothing to do with mod creation.

Hhhmmm..... Any mods that I may have uploaded here in the past, should still be here..... I don't recall ever deleting anything, and I haven't really uploaded that many mods here in any event. I was co-author with Crossbows of cyrodiil for a time, but, I don't think that mod ever got me access to GMAD..... Those forums showed up when Axeman (Smoke) added me as an 'admin' (for lack of a better word) to Advanced Magecraft. I remember being surprised when a couple new forums showed up on my list. So, apparently, the script DID recognize co-authors/admins/whatever at one time...... Why the change?

You're seemingly admitting you don't know for sure, and I've told you our script did not count download stats for team members, only the original uploader, so there's been no change other than fixing the script to ensure it counts downloads correctly.

When I first got access to GMAD it required that the mods in my name have 1k unique downloads. This was 5ish years ago. The pages I was listed as an author/ page manager on did not count. This was also true for other small authors I have helped since then. If that was ever how it worked, it's been a very long time since the change.

Thank you. This correlates with what I have said.